What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

• The Official Roleplay UK 10 year pin badge has arrived, get one for yourself here 5 left!

Phone line downstairs has different number to the one upstairs?

Farmer Giles

So ive moved into a new house and the problem im having is the router does not reach the top bedroom. Therefore i wanna place my router upstairs in the bedroom phone line. 

I habe just found out the upstairs phone line has a different number to the downstairs one, is there any reason for this? And how can i get it to change?

Could you not just get an additional adapter for upstairs and keep phone line downstairs

However i wouldnt have thought they should have differing numbers

I am keeping the phone line downstairs, but there is a phone line upstairs also and i would like to keep this line and get it working. 

Last owner probably had a manchild that wanted their own line.

Why not just use homeplugs? To repeat Ethernet or WAN (or both) 

https://amzn.to/2uOSRLJ
I am using them at the minute, only problem is ive upgraded to sky fibre, and im not sure i will be getting my full download rate with them, i guess i will find out haha

He only comes on the forums for technical support
Is there a problem with that?

I am using them at the minute, only problem is ive upgraded to sky fibre, and im not sure i will be getting my full download rate with them, i guess i will find out haha
the TX/RX is fine. It just affects your ping mostly, normally ~1.5ms increase over Ethernet depending on the wiring. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Is there a problem with that?
I get around 70 Mb/s at my router with BT Fibre at my UK house, I use TP link home plugs, Gigabit rated ones and have no drop in data transfer speed, however I do see an increase of approximately 5-15 ms on my ping. The property is using older wiring too, but a modern fuse box if that makes much difference to your situation....

I get around 70 Mb/s at my router with BT Fibre at my UK house, I use TP link home plugs, Gigabit rated ones and have no drop in data transfer speed, however I do see an increase of approximately 5-15 ms on my ping. The property is using older wiring too, but a modern fuse box if that makes much difference to your situation....
I believe i also have old wiring, im currently living in an old victorian house so ill probably get the same! As long as speeds are fine and the ping isnt to bad im happy! 

@Farmer Giles dunno if you got this sorted, but if you don't need the 2nd phone line then make sure it's cancelled and you're not paying for it. It should also come into the house somewhere near the Master Socket for BT where your router should be plugged in currently. If you're handy with a krone punch tool, you can trace the wires back for the socket upstairs and punch them on to the same pins for the socket downstairs, effectively making the socket upstairs part of the same line.

I had this in my parents house and a BT engineer did it for me just by asking him. Same in my own house, I had an extension upstairs but for phone only, no DSL. I asked him if he could punch the 2 wires onto the DSL pins in the master socket and he did so and replaced the faceplate with an RJ11 dsl plate, so it was a straight DSL socket.

https://www.vmadmin.co.uk/other/357-moving-bt-infinity-dsl-from-master-socket-to-any-household-extension-socket

@Farmer Giles dunno if you got this sorted, but if you don't need the 2nd phone line then make sure it's cancelled and you're not paying for it. It should also come into the house somewhere near the Master Socket for BT where your router should be plugged in currently. If you're handy with a krone punch tool, you can trace the wires back for the socket upstairs and punch them on to the same pins for the socket downstairs, effectively making the socket upstairs part of the same line.

I had this in my parents house and a BT engineer did it for me just by asking him. Same in my own house, I had an extension upstairs but for phone only, no DSL. I asked him if he could punch the 2 wires onto the DSL pins in the master socket and he did so and replaced the faceplate with an RJ11 dsl plate, so it was a straight DSL socket.

https://www.vmadmin.co.uk/other/357-moving-bt-infinity-dsl-from-master-socket-to-any-household-extension-socket
Be careful asking BT OR engineers for additional work though. They can pull a dick move and make it chargeable. Always get the kettle going and some nice biscuits ready before having a BT OR engineer round 😂

Be careful asking BT OR engineers for additional work though. They can pull a dick move and make it chargeable. Always get the kettle going and some nice biscuits ready before having a BT OR engineer round
1f602.png
I even offered to slip the guy a bit of cash for it, but he turned it down!

honestly i would just go with the power line adapters as recommended to you matey,i have vodafone 70mb fibre i do lose about 5mb with it going through the adapters but honestly it is not noticeable at all.

Back