Experience the Altis Life
keyboard_arrow_right
ALTIS LIFE 1
ALTIS LIFE 2
DAYZ UK 0.63
TEAMSPEAK

We are currently undergoing maintenance

The forums are available for use, yet please do not expect full functionality.

NotStrix

i7 8700k vs i7 8086k

NotStrix

im looking to upgrade from AMD FX8350 > i7 8700k/i7 8086k ...i will of course be buying a new board and ram , and i plan on using my existing 1060 gpu ... everything else will stay the same ... the question is do i get a i7 8700k or i7 8086k ... the latter being newer etc and apparently better ...and i can get it at the same price ... all signs point to the 8086k ... does anyone disagree??? and if so why?

The_Real_ScaR

8086K Done I did tell you this yesterday 

Rekkemmo

Both have 6 cores, both have 12 threads. Similar price, give or take a few quid. Similar clock rates. Even so, I'd say get the newer CPU in my opinion, which is the 8700k. 

Are you using Windows 7? Just bare in mind most mobo's for these architechtures are dropping support for the mobo's coming out now. So you might have big issues with drivers if you don't use Windows 10. 

NotStrix
54 minutes ago, Rekkemmo said:

Both have 6 cores, both have 12 threads. Similar price, give or take a few quid. Similar clock rates. Even so, I'd say get the newer CPU in my opinion, which is the 8700k. 

Are you using Windows 7? Just bare in mind most mobo's for these architechtures are dropping support for the mobo's coming out now. So you might have big issues with drivers if you don't use Windows 10. 

The i7 8086k is the newer of the two ... and I’m windows 10 pro 

Rekkemmo
2 minutes ago, TheStrix said:

The i7 8086k is the newer of the two ... and I’m windows 10 pro 

Oh forgive me. I looked at this the wrong way round lol Its late 😛

image.thumb.png.ab734c12dcadbe11fa65e979c4157bfb.png

NotStrix
3 minutes ago, Rekkemmo said:

Oh forgive me. I looked at this the wrong way round lol Its late 😛

image.thumb.png.ab734c12dcadbe11fa65e979c4157bfb.png

I’m thinking with gigabyte z370 aorus gaming 7 mb and 2x hyperx predator 8gb 3600mhz ram ? That should work right ? 

Rekkemmo
7 minutes ago, TheStrix said:

I’m thinking with gigabyte z370 aorus gaming 7 mb and 2x hyperx predator 8gb 3600mhz ram ? That should work right ? 

Lol thats the motherboard I just got. Should be fine. This is what I got: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/16gb-(4x4gb)-corsair-ddr4-vengeance-lpx-black-pc4-19200-(2400)-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-16-16-16-39-xm

My motherboard is MSI though https://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-z370-a-pro-intel-z370-s-1151-ddr4-sata3-m2-2-way-crossfire-realtek-lan-usb-31-gen1-a-atx

As long as the RAM is DDR4 should be ok

NotStrix

That’s not the same board tho lol , why use 4 channels for ran instead of using 2 ? 

Rekkemmo
3 minutes ago, TheStrix said:

That’s not the same board tho lol , why use 4 channels for ran instead of using 2 ? 

Same series though. Honestly didn't give it much thought. 

Actually ignore me. I've not given this much thought I'm too tired lol

NotStrix

Some people might think I’m being daft to ask these questions but it’s a lot of money to spend and still not be satisfied, and the truth is there’s no better information about arma / hardware stuff than the guys here . 

Rekkemmo
1 minute ago, TheStrix said:

Some people might think I’m being daft to ask these questions but it’s a lot of money to spend and still not be satisfied, and the truth is there’s no better information about arma / hardware stuff than the guys here . 

I get it man. I really shouldn't be trying to give tech advice at 2am though I end up looking at things wrong lol

JAEGARN

Go for 8086k, then a z370 board. To bad ram is a bit pricey atm