Experience the Altis Life
keyboard_arrow_right
ALTIS LIFE 1
ALTIS LIFE 2
DAYZ UK
TEAMSPEAK

We are currently undergoing maintenance

The forums are available for use, yet please do not expect full functionality.

Perspective

SGT ShaunLAD [2660] & Masked Officer

Perspective

Name of officer(s) involved (Please give their name, rank and collar number if known): SGT ShaunLAD [2660]

Time and date of incident: 2019/06/11 10:50PM 

Description the incident and what happened in as much detail as possible:

I attended the Southern Checkpoint to converse with one of the Poseidon members manning the border. Upon arriving, There was a lot of police on scene. There was a civilian in question who was acting incredibly hostile. They pulled out both an illegal firearm (Vermin), and a regular pistol. The officers in question, did nothing about this. The moment the officers turned their backs I was asked to place my hands on top of my head repeatedly. I did not comply, and in an effort of defending myself, I shot this civilian. Immediately at the sound of gunshots, Police officers returned. This is where the issue begins. (Interaction 1 clip goes up to this point)

I was detained immediately. No questions was asked to me, or the civilian in question. The police officers acted incredibly hostile. The officers arrived on scene, yelling "PUT YOUR HANDS ON TOP OF YOUR HEAD". I made the effort stating that he threatened my life, and that it was in fact self defense. To this, I recieved the reply "HANDS UP. NOW." (Masked Officer). "ARMED POLICE. HANDS UP. RIGHT NOW. ". I tried, best as I could to defuse the situation by attempting to converse with the officers, but unfortunately this was ignored.

The civilian in question was not as much as approached by an officer in this scenario to find out both sides of the story, despite wielding an illegal firearm throughout the entire situation. 

I was thereby arrested, and charged for "Attempted Murdrer", whilst the civilian in question was not as much as approached, even after displaying incredibly violent behaviour such as "Can I just shoot them in the face?".

What do you feel to be a suitable outcome of this complaint:

I believe a course in order to change the officers manners in approaching civilians would most likely be suitable.

Please post any video/screenshot evidence to support your complaint here:

https://plays.tv/video/5cfed4477e3cee05a3/interaction-1

https://plays.tv/video/5cfed6ab6f2fbcfa35/interaction-2

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Eggplant 1
  • Hype 1
  • Facepalm 24

CC Tadworth

Dear @Perspective

The Police Complaints Commission has received your complaint against SGT ShaunLAD [2660] and the other Masked Officer(s) involved. We aim to deal with this complaint within 48 hours.

@ShaunLAD, you are welcome to provide any further evidence which you may have recorded with you body camera, or a statement if you wish. I'd ask that apart from this statement, all other provisions of evidence are passed through members of Police Command, who will provide it to me in due course.

Kind regards,
Chief Constable Tadworth

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1
  • Drew 1

ShaunLAD

hello @Perspective firstly I would like to say I am sorry you felt the need to PCC me of this incident, onto my statement. 

we turn up at the border in a MH9 as we see some of the NCA were indeed there and wondered if they needed any assistance. upon arriving we realised than there was no real hostilities and people were just chatting about day to day things, after around 5 minutes we realised that NCA were indeed leaving the area via there sports hatchbacks and we then proceeded to load up into our helicopter. upon doing this as we are about to fly away we see yourself and another civilian pointing weapons at each other. shortly after the guy drops to the floor and that's when we have to intervene. as an armed response member it is my duty to ensure the situation is under control as quickly as possible.  you mentioned in your statement that the officers in question did nothing about this. you clearly see that on the second time around when this guy pulls his weapon no officers are on the scene. we were all leaving. you also mentioned that we were incredibly hostile towards you, back to my original point I am a member of armed response and at the time we told you to put your hands up, all we knew is that you had just murdered a guy, of course we are going to be hostile towards you.

due to the injuries to the other civilian in question, we were not able to get his side of the story. like I've previously stated  we seen you shoot him. our main priorities was to get you in hand cuffs  and to a nearby police station to question you. you also mention self defence. regardless you still attempted to take a mans life. and this is why you were charged with it. 

• Like 4
  • Hype 6
  • Facepalm 1

Perspective

@ShaunLAD  Thank you for your elaborate response.

Whilst I do understand that from your point of view, you had just seen a civilian attempt to kill another. However..

- The civilian had an illegal firearm, it seems like nothing was said regarding that?

- You mention the civilian was injured.. He was up and running shortly after the incident, and was clearly in a clear enough state of mind to suggest allowing you to shoot me in the face. Did it not occur to you that it might be an idea to question the civilian, at the very least? 

I feel as if the situation should have been dealt with more professionally. Whilst getting the alleged murdrerer in cuffs is a high priority, I find it very questionable to not at least converse with the other civilians involved in the situation.

Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 6
  • Drew 1

ShaunLAD
4 minutes ago, Perspective said:

allowing you to shoot me in the face.

I’m struggling to understand this, surely if you were shot in the face you would be dead. Besides this. You were arrested for the attempted murder of said civilian, clearly shown in your video you engaged the man with lethal force with the intent to kill. Upon your arrest I told you that I believed that there was some truth in what you said. That is why you were released with a ticket paying the medical bills of the guy that you neally killed. Furthermore this is why you weren’t sent to jail. I believe personally I acted very professional in this situation and dealt with it the best i could with the information I was provided with and what I saw with my own eyes.

9 minutes ago, Perspective said:

The civilian had an illegal firearm, it seems like nothing was said regarding that?

Unfortunately I did not see this guy with the illegal firearm. I was probably speaking to another officer. So I cannot comment on this part 

• Like 1
  • Hype 2

Perspective

@ShaunLAD "Suggesting allowing".

Nontheless, I am not bothered by my arrest in the slightest.  

I simply wish to see the police officers of Altis ensuring to question everyone that is involved. I feel as if the job was not done properly in that regard, and thereby I sincerely hope that you get given a course on how to improve your policing & overall intensely hostile attitude in heated situations.

I will be leaving this up to command now. Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 15

CC Tadworth

To those whom it may concern,

Thank-you both for your statements @Perspective & @ShaunLAD. After reviewing all of the information provided, the Police Complaints Commission has reached the following verdicts.

The first element of the complaint I will deal with is the process of how you were detained. It's important to look at how these officers saw this from their point of view, the only facts which they would've been able to establish from their point of view in the helicopter would be that:

1. You had a loaded firearm in your possession.
  2. It had been used to shoot another person.
  3. There was a possibility you were a danger to other members of the public and themselves.

The officers acted as their training would dictate, act in a manner to dominate the situation both mentally, and tactically. Ensure the safety first and foremost of themselves and members of the public, alongside your own safety, and detain you in handcuffs as soon as is possible. This ensures that any threat is stopped and you are unable to cause any further harm, be it lawful, or unlawful.

This was not the time to converse with the officers, you had been given strict direction for the above reasons, upon your arrest and when the officers are satisfied that there is no possibility of further harm is when it would be ideal to speak, i.e. when you arrived at Agios Police Station.

The second element of your complaint is in how the officers handled the investigation of the crime afterwards. Attempted Murder is an offence which requires "intent to kill", the officers complied with the requirements of Section 24 of the Police And Criminal Evidence Act, to allow the prompt and effective investigation of the offence (Subsection 5, e), under having Reasonable grounds for suspecting you are guilty of it (Subsections 1, d & 3, b) and to stop the causing of physical injury to himself or another person (Subsection 5, c). The officers conducted the investigation into the crime both in the helicopter and at Agios Police Station.

In using the defence to Attempted Murder of Self Defence, a person is allowed to use reasonable force to

1. Defend himself from an attack
  2. Prevent an attack on another person
  3. Defend his property

It must be proven to the officers that you thought "In the heat of the moment the defendant did what he honestly and instinctively thought was necessary then that would be strong evidence that only reasonable defensive action had been taken". There is no specific duty to retreat in law, however, it would be noted that "A demonstration by the defendant that at the time he did not want to fight is no doubt, the best evidence that he was acting reasonably and in good faith in self-defence". I note particularly that you did not retreat, but instead acted with aggression to protect yourself, and were actually the first to shoot. This is dealt with under the pre-emptive strike principle, in the "It is not absolutely necessary that the defendant is attacked first", “A man about to be attacked does not have to wait for his assailant to strike the first blow or fire the first shot; circumstances may justify a pre-emptive strike.”

I'd like to specifically note that the material facts of what actually happened, are very different from those to which you provided the officers. At the time of the offence, it was stated: "Put your f****** hands up or I'm going to shoot you in the kneecap", you stated to the officers when asked "If he in any way threatened your life" that "he told me that he was going to knock me out", you also state that you believe that the person was "trying to rob me, or take me hostage". The defence of property using deadly force is very rarely acceptable, in this case particularly the only actual defence which the officer would likely have allowed would be that he was attempting to take you hostage.

It's very lucky that with the statements you gave the officer that you were released with a £500 fixed penalty notice on the grounds of self-defence, had you provided an accurate statement upon your arrest, it is likely this issue would've been resolved with much less grief, and this PCC would not have been necessary. I accept that it is hard for you to make a perfectly accurate statement, however the exact wording, in this case, is paramount to your fair trial and sentencing. I'd suggest that in future, you attempt to gather the facts in your own mind before guessing at what the person said.

Because of the above statements, my conclusions are as follows:

• The officers in question acted proportionately to the threat they had observed, in the best interests of the public.
  • Your arrest was lawful under Section 24 of the Police And Criminal Evidence Act.
  • You were released with a £500 fixed penalty notice on the grounds of Self Defence.

As a general point of learning for all officers, it is important that all suspects, and victims of a crime, are questioned regarding the facts leading up to and including the offence being committed, this ensures a fair and just trial and sentence for all involved. This will be communicated to all officers via the relevant channels. No further action will be taken against the officers this PCC concerns.

This complaint is now closed.

Joseph Tadworth
Chief Constable
Altis Police Service

9Ti7CBt.png

• Like 12
  • Love 3
  • Facepalm 1