What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

• The Official Roleplay UK 10 year pin badge has arrived, get one for yourself here!

Missing power cable for new ssd installation

Simen

---------------
Lifetime Donator
So I bought a new 1tb WD BLUE ssd for my PC. I currently own 1tb hdd, and two other Ssd's.

I'm looking into how I should install my new and third ssd. So far I've understood that I need two cables for my ssd, one for power and another one called SATA(?). Non of these can be found as spares within my PC. I shouldn't have a problem buying a SATA cable, but it's the power cable I'm concerned about. No spare cable is coming out of the PSU and the gpu is all closed off. The PSU I have is CORSAIR VS550. I'm pretty clueless on what to do now and any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

(This is the first time I have opened the inside of my PC and attempted to install a new part, other than blowing dust out of it. I bought my PC pre-built and am a clumsy amateur when it comes to the inside of a pc)

Last edited by a moderator:
What PSU do you have? Power cable should look like this for your SSD:

sata-molex-hdd-cable-large.jpg

after googling your psu it states that it has 6 sata power connectors which is the connector on the left of ant arni's photo could you check if you have any left in your computer. Most of the time there are multiple of these on one cable.

So, I meant psu instead of gpu.. I got a Corsair vs550
Look harder for the SATA connector it's got 7 of them. You said it's a pre-made so it's possible they're hiding in the back of the PC - should look exactly like this:

original.png

after googling your psu it states that it has 6 sata power connectors which is the connector on the left of ant arni's photo could you check if you have any left in your computer. Most of the time there are multiple of these on one cable.
I screwed my PC back together as I gotta head to work shortly.

But there was 5cables coming out from the closed off psu, 3 of them are connected to my 3 SSDs/hdd, and the two other to motherboard and gpu(I think).

Look harder for the SATA connector it's got 7 of them. You said it's a pre-made so it's possible they're hiding in the back of the PC - should look exactly like this:

I thought I had a thorough look around and couldn't find any spare cables at all.

Back when I bought the PC, I did get a bunch of spare parts coming with it, so the cable that's missing might be with the spares? Those parts are however stored away at my parents house, so I wont be able to check that until Monday..

Small update from the moron (me).

Opened my PC, searched for spare SATA power cable, didn't find one. Went home to my parents where I got some spare parts for my PC, nothing there.

Ended up buying a sata cable and a SATA power cable. My PSU is completely closed off, so I didn't the only logical thing in my head and screwed the psu open and voided the warranty, inside I found cables wired into the psu itself and dust, quite some dust. Turns out my psu did not have any spare 'outlets', and I've possibly broken my psu.

Have not assembled everything back to together yet, but will attempt so soon.

I'm gonna buy myself a new psu because 1. I don't trust myself enough and I fear I'll somehow get my rig to catch on fire if I keep using the one I have. And 2. I want that damn ssd installed.

Any help in suggesting what new psu I should buy would be greatly appreciated.

PC specs:

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 black

Intel Core i7-6700k Skylake Processor

akasa CPU Cooler AK-959CU

Asus Z170-p  Socket-1151

Crucial DDR4 2133MHz 16gb (2x8gb)

MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Aero OC

Kingston UV300 120gb SSD

Samsung 850 EVO 250gb 2.5" SSD

Seagate Baracuda 1TB (HDD)

Going to install: WD Blue 1TB SSD (Disque SSD)

PSU I want replaced: Corsair VS550 550KW KPC Bulk Edition

Last edited by a moderator:
Shortened for easy reading
Put all your parts into pcpartpicker and it should show the total power draw of the system, then find a power supply that covers this power draw from a reputable company (Corsair etc.) and with a good 80+ rating.

Put all your parts into pcpartpicker and it should show the total power draw of the system, then find a power supply that covers this power draw from a reputable company (Corsair etc.) and with a good 80+ rating.
Cheers, bought a corsair 850kw, should have more than enough power for my pc

Got New Psu and replaced the old one, installed the new SSD . And everything works  now. Semi surprised my PC ain't burning

Back