What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

• The Official Roleplay UK 10 year pin badge has arrived, get one for yourself here!

Help with a new PC

Smith

Krypton
Unlinked
Hello! Getting to the chase, I'll be picking out a new PC next week and as I know very little about them, I thought it best to turn to the community! After having spent the last 6 or so years with a system that was designed to play Minecraft, it's time for a big upgrade.

I have a bunch of questions and ideas. If you feel like answering just 1 point, or if you want to go so far as to helput with the whole build, I appreciate any words you may have! Without further a doo, let's get into it!

Estimated budget: £2.1k

What I'd like the system to be able to do: Be able to play the latest titles at 4k 60 FPS. Have something that will be able to handle new releases for the next 6/7 years. Not have to worry about shit performance in Arma. I'd also like to be able to play simulation games. Id also be getting it from a UK based retailer eg Cyberpower as I have no idea how to build one and would like it under warranty.

Questions and Ideas/Comments:

I heard AMD is now better than Intel, is this true? Is this still true at the high end? 

I heard Arma benefits from Intel because of the higher speed of a core compared to AMD?

What is a core, what is a thread and what does this mean for performance?

How many GHz is enough? I think more is better, but at what point is it overkill?

I've only got 8GB of RAM currently and struggle to run many simulation games or have my browser open at the same time. I want to go for 32GB here. Is 3200MHz a good speed? What benefits does 4000MHz have, and is it noticeable? DDR4 of course.

In terms of a graphics card, Linus Tech Tips had a video showing off the RTX 2070 super. It looked like it was almost the best card but for like £200 less than the next best so this one looks like good value for money?

I have no idea what constitutes a good motherboard. Any suggestions?

In terms of memory I was thinking a 128-256 GB M.2 for Windows, with a 500GB SSD for games and a regular HDD for storage. I heard that it's not a good idea to put windows and games of the same drive as the Programmes folder where Steam is normally installed is a protected drive and games won't be as fast as if they were on a dedicated SSD.

In terms of a CPU, This is important to me. If I went to have better FPS or more RAM, it seems slot easier to replace a graphics card or RAM than take out a CPU and cooler so if anything this, the motherboard and the non-RAM memory are something I wouldn't want to have to replace in the future. I was thinking of the I9-9900 K or KF? Then there is also the KS which I believe comes already overclocked to 5GHz. Is this beyond overkill? I think some sort of dedicate liquid cooler for the CPU might be needed if it's going to be a good one.

So yeah, those are my ideas and questions. I'm open to anything, and would really appreciate some input. Cheers all!

I'm also looking into getting a new PC and I've spent a fair bit of time researching the difference between the 2080 super and the 2080ti super. From this, I've also seen discussions about the 2070 super VS 2080 super.

From what I can tell, the 2070 super is able to cope with games at 4k but the 2080 super will reliably hit 60fps in properly optimisied titles. In my opinion, if you're wanting to play 4k or VR, the 2080 super will definitely be worth it for your future-proofed build. 

Okay, so first things first, like you said, amd beats intel out in most catagories currently. While arma may be one of the few acceptions to this (as it is very unomtimised and relies on single thread performance) realistically your best option is amd.

Now with amd CPUs to get the most performance out of them, you'll need fast ram. (Get like 3600 MHz and you'll be fine). Storage wise, a 1tb m.2 ssd is only like 80 quid or something so I would recommend that, rather than 2 seperate ssd's.

If you wanted to go the intel route, and get a 9900k (s) then be aware that they generate a fuck tonne of heat and ur gonna want a beefy cooler on that. The 9900ks is most definitely overkill as the 5ghz overclock isn't really needed for most applications (although it will give you a boost in fps over the regular one). However I would still recommend AMD over intel as for the some price, amd CPUs perform much better in the majority of workloads.

If your spending 2k on a pc, a rtx 2080 (possibly super) should fit into that budget, so I would recommend one of those, but a rtx 2070 super is still a solid option.

2080 - 32GB 3000/3200Mhz RAM - Ryzen 9 - AMD Chipset Mobo with 2 M.2 Slots - 2 1tb M.2's - 1000Watt Modular PSU - 240mm Closed water cooling loop for CPU   

Mic drop.

On a serious note:

CPU- i9's are a waste top range i7s are better. But go for AMD 
GPU- If your budget is that high just go all out you can never have to much power, though honestly 2070 will run 4k/60 no issues 🙂
RAM- RAM prices have gone down so much over the last 2 years 32GB just to keep on the upper hand with the other parts (16GB at 3200Mhz will do fine)
MOBO- Honestly theres nothing specific you need in a mobo just- 4 RAM DDR4 slots, 2 M.2's, AMD Chipset and thats it really, just maybe if you need lots of USB ports choose one with more USB's 
Storage- Keep it clean and simple, M.2 is the way to go; they're usually faster than a lot of 2.5"*, they're small, reliable. They're just better.
PSU- Modular to keep your case clean and increase air flow, and 1000Watts to give you plenty of head room for these beefy bois
Cooling- Its AMD, your gaming, they get hot. CPULivesMatter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so first things first, like you said, amd beats intel out in most catagories currently. While arma may be one of the few acceptions to this (as it is very unomtimised and relies on single thread performance) realistically your best option is amd.

Now with amd CPUs to get the most performance out of them, you'll need fast ram. (Get like 3600 MHz and you'll be fine). Storage wise, a 1tb m.2 ssd is only like 80 quid or something so I would recommend that, rather than 2 seperate ssd's.

If you wanted to go the intel route, and get a 9900k (s) then be aware that they generate a fuck tonne of heat and ur gonna want a beefy cooler on that. The 9900ks is most definitely overkill as the 5ghz overclock isn't really needed for most applications (although it will give you a boost in fps over the regular one). However I would still recommend AMD over intel as for the some price, amd CPUs perform much better in the majority of workloads.

If your spending 2k on a pc, a rtx 2080 (possibly super) should fit into that budget, so I would recommend one of those, but a rtx 2070 super is still a solid option.
As above spot on only diff I would look along the lines of AMD but that's my personal preference and the threadripper are monsters I have the ryzen9 and an rx5700xt on stats wise it's on par with the 2080 and a he'll of a lot cheaper.. As for the m.2 nvme  drive I personally would not go for a big 1tb  reason for this is 120gb/240gb  is plenty as you only really need windows 10 and a few apps on it. Gaming wise it will not give you anymore fps  or better load times over a standard ssd. There are plenty of youtube  tests out there to prove this. Also if you load windows on your m.2 drive only and your games on a ssd you don't have to reinstall all your games if you get any issues and windows takes about 10 mins to load on if you get what I mean. Ram wise yes amd  thrives from faster mghz also vids on youtube explaining this. Have a look on overclockers uk  great customer care 

Cheers for the advice all. Here is what I went with in the end:

I9 9900k overclocked to 4.9GHz with Corsair H100i cooler

RTX 2080Ti

1TB M.2

32GB 3000MHz RAM

650W PSU

Should be here next weekend!

Back