What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

• The Official Roleplay UK 10 year pin badge has arrived, get one for yourself here!

Why the stereotypes man...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novak

Following this post:

I don't know if it's just me, but i find it rather amusing that 1.2 is enforced so harshly in cases of racism against certain groups (which is good), but when it comes to racist eastern European and Asian stereotypes and accents, nobody seems to care.

Don't get me wrong, i 100% agree that 1.2 should be enforced harshly, and to give the admins some credit, they have been very good at enforcing it (mostly). Just sad to see people running around in game with the over the top racist accent and role-playing a stereotype. Either all racism should be allowed, which is a horrible idea (to put it mildly), or no racism should be allowed (which is a very good idea in my opinion.

Just a thought.

And just to clarify, i don't think that people should be allowed to roleplay anything racist, or use any racist slurs. I 100% agree with the bans made by the admins.

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. Role playing with an Asian or eastern European  accent is not necessarily  racist nor discriminatory.You could argue that a group on this server is being discriminatory for rping as country hillbillies.If you're from the deep south of the US you COULD take offence to it but let face it youre bot going to because who hasn't ever done a hillbilly accent or a Russian accent or an Asian accent to reverse the coin I'm English do you think i get offended when an american gives it the whole "ello guvnor fancy a cup o tea" or any other stereotypical brit way of speaking.No. Why? Because it's imitation nothing more nothing less. 

The 1.2 rule is there to discourage racial or discriminatory comments towards minorities.Speaking with a different accent is a completely different ballgame to calling someone a n***** or a f***** or trying to defeat the autoban script by using different connotation of a word knowing full well that what you're doing.

@Butch 

I don't report it because personally i don't take offence, just find it hypocritical

@henry the ugandan 

That's bs and you know it. 100 you would be banned for role-playing as a muslim stereotype. Either stereotype roleplaying should be allowed or not allowed. Roleplaying as a stereotype and using racist slurs is not the same as trying to cheat the auto ban, i agree, it is worse because of the implication. If people try to cheat the auto ban, they are just being idiots (and should be banned), not necessarily racist.

With all our rules the staff team have the final say, cases can be different and usually are

There decision must be respected

If anyone Is unfortunately unhappy with that stance then you can try somewhere else however I can assure you our recruitment process with staff team is much more sound

In terms of creating posts calling people a “joke” or posts with the intention of causing drama without contacting management about your concerns is a little childish and not welcomed.

The staff know where to draw a line in terms of racism, they also know who to give a second chance to, I can assure you of that

Last edited by a moderator:
That's bs and you know it
No you wouldn't. You would not be banned for rping as someone from a middle east country.You would however be banned for taking that accent and using it to act out a terrorist act or if you chose to use the name osama bin bombalot or something similar.Look we're here to ROLEPLAY and if the character that you decide to rp as comes from Uganda for instants as long as it's not being used to cause offence to someone then there is no problem with it. I used an african accent for about 6months i stopped using it because the "do you know the way" meme came out and that's all i would get so i came up with a story that Henry got in a car accident got a bump on his head and now speaks in a full on mockney accent.

My advice to you would be stop being so soft skinned and looking for "offense" were there is none.It's banded about far to much these days and people use it as an excuse to bash people who are just having fun.Be rational if the person is using it as an excuse to be overtly discriminatory report them // them and ask them to stop if they don't then report them.But don't whip out the "I'm offended" card to stand on some soapbox and preach that just because they don't come from somewhere they have no right to emulate the accent from that particular region.End of the day we are just voices on the end of a microphone.How you conduct yourself on a day to day basis should be the mark by which you are judged not the fact that you use a different voice whilst playing a videogame.End ex

No you wouldn't. You would not be banned for rping as someone from a middle east country.You would however be banned for taking that accent and using it to act out a terrorist act or if you chose to use the name osama bin bombalot or something similar.
But you would not get banned for roleplaying as Vladimir the drunk. Nothing wrong with accents, its the stereotype.

Yeah so u cant have a fishy and a Pub then in Kavala cuz its stereotype to the english then isnt it?  People should stop beeing snowflakes. Stop propper racism but play with stereotypes cuz thats what EVERYBODY does. U all grow up with south park; )

But you would not get banned for roleplaying as Vladimir the drunk. Nothing wrong with accents, its the stereotype.
I think you need to go do something a little more productive with your time

From my understanding this is role play meaning you can be anything/anyone you want, as long as you don’t discriminate, bully, discriminative names you are fine, I’m half Arab, my dad is Kuwaiti, I’ve seen plenty of people act as a Arab person, whether they did a good job or failed miserably, I don’t take it seriously, I don’t take offense to anything but racism is a very sensitive topic for anybody, a topic I wouldn’t talk about often even religion and politics as people’s opinion can be different to yours and insult/offend them. But I must say, if you do think that the name/act someone is doing deserves a ban, then instead of calling people who devote their own free time to help this server and maintain balance a joke, maybe talk to them or report a player. Making posts like these are useless and drama causers, now if a admin could please lock this thread, as I think it’s just here to cause drama and leads to nothing.

Not gonna lie man, I don't think it's that deep.

Just sad to see people running around in game with the over the top racist accent and role-playing a stereotype.
It's a roleplay server and as long as they are not being derogatory or shouting the n-word there is nothing wrong with that (I'm from Eastern Europe myself). If you feel like someone is being over the top and targeting you or someone you know in particular send a message to staff but besides that maybe you just need to get over it.

From what I've seen people in this community take racism, bullying and other forms of harassment very seriously. 

gopnik.jpg

well if I were to report everybody who imitated my accent, called me a comrade or made some gulag joke after I spoke to them, there would be an endless list... however, that is not an act of racism or bullying, yes it is somewhat inappropriate, but there's hardly any malicious intent

As someone from ireland, ppl mock my accent call me a potato and ask me if I'm in the IRA. Every one of those things are stereotypes but I definitely wouldn't consider it as racism 

f you do think that the name/act someone is doing deserves a ban, then instead of calling people who devote their own free time to help this server and maintain balance a joke, maybe talk to them or report a player.
Never called anyone a joke

definitely wouldn't consider it as racism 
Me neither, but it wouldn't be allowed if done with a person of color, and that's my point. 

but there's hardly any malicious intent
there are plenty of people who get 1.2 without malicious intent though, because they made jokes related to black people. Tasteless, yes, but still "just" jokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back