What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

• The Official Roleplay UK 10 year pin badge has arrived, get one for yourself here!

Guidance for "Keeping Eyes" - Altis Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

M

Gold Standard Roleplayer
Los Santos Police
Guidance for "Keeping Eyes" - Altis Life

Detailed Rule Suggestion:

Many people believe that if Group A is able to keep eyes on Group B, they are able to open fire on them when Group A believe to be convenient. This leads to situations where Group B may honestly believe the roleplay situation has ended with Group A, only for Group A to attack unexpectedly.

Many rebel groups can admit that this has happened to them atleast once, leading to instant complaints of RDM. And to be honest, the idea of keeping eyes for long periods of time and resuming a fight deteriorates potential roleplay opportunities.

I am seeking staff guidance, similar to "The State of Roleplay and "Initiations"" and "Friends and Allies - Ruling Clarification", on the matter of keeping eyes.

What theoretical situations would be allowed and what would be the intent of existing un-written rules on enforcing high-quality roleplay, while allowing long-stretched firefights.

Outline how your rule will improve the server/community:

The guidance will help players better understand how to provide fair-play in firefights, and potentially decrease instances where verbal roleplay opportunities have been missed.

Think about any bad points your rule suggestion might have:

N/A

What punishment if any should breach of this rule have:

N/A

I've been told by staff leads in the past that you can keep eyes for "an entire restart" if you wanted to and you can still engage them after that.

There's no time limit on a gunfight but some staff clarification would be good

I've been told by staff leads in the past that you can keep eyes for "an entire restart" if you wanted to and you can still engage them after that.

Then you’ll be asked what staff member said that, and you won’t be able to give an answer.

cos no staff member would tell you you can keep eyes for an entire restart and just start shooting.

onto the actual post, I don’t think we need the rules to be so black and white; there needs to be ambiguity to allow for different scenarios; I think it’s just common sense on how the situation plays out. If a group has just finished a firefight but get a little too comfortable thinking it’s all over. But fail to check and clear the area. Then I think it’s fair game. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Away and no talk a pile of shite🤣

keeping eyes from a darter or a taru doing thermals very far away should not count (unless they are clearly being followed)

keeping eyes from a darter or a taru doing thermals very far away should not count (unless they are clearly being followed)
Agree, after a certain amount of time it needs to be made clear that eyes are being kept on you. Bit stupid if you fly away and 5 minutes later you get gunned down because a taru or darter 1km up followed you the whole time.

Then you’ll be asked what staff member said that, and you won’t be able to give an answer.

cos no staff member would tell you you can keep eyes for an entire restart and just start shooting.
It was Aiden, back when he was staff lead.

Its obviously not allowed, but that's what I mean there's not a solid answer from staff...

Any chance of a response from staff on this matter? It's been over 2 months and we're lacking clarity.

The following can be recognised as a "staff opinion", it has been reviewed and approved by staff leads.

I'll do my best to try and give a concise explanation of "Keeping eyes" though as ever, no two situations are the same.

Example A:
Setting the scene...
Jim, Jamie and John are in the process of processing copper and are spotted by a single rebel who intends to rob them of every last ingot! The rebel threatens the group, Jim, Jamie & John decide to take matters into their own hands and after providing high quality roleplay, pull out their trusty rook pistols and engage on the rebel, missing every shot. The rebel reacts quickly and manages to take down Jim & Jamie. John however, was smart! As he saw his two companions drop to the floor, he made up his mind to attempt a swift getaway on foot, in search of a hiding place...

In this example, lets assume that the rebel has maintained visual.

Simply put, there is no exact timeframe that the rebel would have to fire upon John, it's all a matter of common sense. If the pursuit has been going on long enough for John to doubt the rebels intentions to fire upon him, then further roleplay would be requires in order to engage upon John. It should be emphasised that this is a roleplay server, if you're in doubt then you're much better off making an attempt to engage in roleplay first.

Example B:
Setting the scene...
Police have sighted a group of rebels with firearms at Agios bank. As soon as the police approach the bank the rebels decide it's time to leave and start to run off. One of the rebels is left behind in a dust cloud as the other rebels all speed off in their vehicles. The police manage to shout to the remaining rebel, demanding that he stops or would otherwise be "met with appropriate force", the rebel shouts back at the police telling them to fuck off and continues to flee down the road. At this point, the police have deployed a high altitude helicopter equipped with a thermal imaging camera and the rebel is in sight. The police get themselves back to their own vehicles and arrange an ambush ahead of the suspect that is still being watched by the helicopter.

Again, assuming that the police haven't lost sight of the rebel throughout and continue to maintain visual by means of the thermal imaging camera on the police helicopter. The rebel is not aware that the police helicopter has visual.

Should the police then engage on the rebel who has fled? That depends. If the rebel has no reason to believe that he's being perused and has reasonable belief that he had escaped the police then no. Again, this is a roleplay server, the police should be able to effectively ambush their target, engaging in RP before deploying any "force".

TL:DR, common sense prevails. If you're not sure, then you're always going to be better off providing the high quality RP before engaging in any hostilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back