What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

• The Official Roleplay UK 10 year pin badge has arrived, get one for yourself here 5 left!

Ban scamming through market forums

Jayray Holder

Commissar
Ban scamming through market forums

Detailed Rule Suggestion:

Scamming through use of the Forums, in my opinion, is baiting/Meta gaming. You are using an out of game service, an out of roleplay service, to bait community members to buy something from you. Scamming itself is fine, within RP. If you want to scam, you should be using your own intuition and charisma to scam someone. Not an out of game service that can absolutely destroy someones experience on our servers.

Scamming should be done within RP, not on our website. Throwing a fishing hook to get bait is a bad look for the community, in my opinion and I believe this should be changed. People should be able to buy and sell on our forums, without the fear of being scammed or meta gamed to be robbed.

TLDR
Scamming should be done on through RP, not on our out of game website, people should be able to buy and sell in game items for in game money without the risk of being scammed.

If you decide not to make this a rule, at the very least put a disclaimer on the Market stating that "All transactions are between the player(s) and Scamming/Theft is a possibility" Ect.

Outline how your rule will improve the server/community:

It will allow people to not have their experience within our community tarnished. Imagine being a new player, working to make your 1st Mil. Just to be scammed by someone using the market on the forums to their advantage.

It will allow people to buy and sell knowing that the rules will protect them.

Think about any bad points your rule suggestion might have:

None that i can think of, but be my guest to counter my points, i am more than happy for an adult, civil debate.

What punishment if any should breach of this rule have:

Forum restrictions / Ban, depending on the situation

The buying/selling section on the forums is within RP, otherwise meeting up in game would be metagaming in itself.

I remember there was a huge issue with this before and stavik/matt introduced a third party protection service in game where they would act as mediators (for a cut) to prevent any scamming.

Its a shitty thing to do, however its a catch 22, the forums cant be completely out of RP as then all sales on the forums would be metagame. I think a disclaimer would be a good idea, Or if someone is scammed and they put up a report, it would be treated as an RP case with the staff team acting as a quasi court system in which they would order the money to be given back, however this opens the door to far more complications so probably isnt the best idea.

Agree with that, In my opinion scamming someone in roleplay (you meet someone on the server and scam them) is very different than offering something for sale via official forums (forums are not in RP) and then scamming them, this shouldn't be allowed.

I think there will be a huge +1 from @Alex Maximillian here, that was you with the barn wasn't it?

Actually based on the rules right now and if for whatever reason they decide to go with your recommendation, a lot of people will be metagaming.

So based on what you wrote:

on our out of game website
This part here if any agreements are made on the forum and you met in-game, you broke the metagaming rule by using 'Out of game' information to meet in-game and proceed with whatever transcation. Both of you should be banned.

I think the way it is, is fine, just be a bit smarter.

Large difference between arranging a forum meetup and scamming compared to finding people within roleplay and conducting a shady deal.

+1 from me to removing it from the forums - I feel that it should still be completely allowed within roleplay as long as it is carried out with high quality roleplay, though. 

I wouldn't have a problem with it, if scammers didn't bank money until roleplay has finished. As it's very unfair and I believe a breach of combat storing rules. This allows a victim no way to recover lost money.

(C2.4) Combat storing, such as storing a vehicle whilst you are being chased, impounding/scrapping your vehicle to gain an advantage or to otherwise prevent roleplay. 

But I do agree, if forums is the only contact that has been made to establish a deal, then scamming should not be allowed. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Scamming is and have been allowed on that part of the forum for quite some time. A rule will not be put in for this but a disclaimer will be put in the coming days to that specific section of the forums to let people know of what could be at stake.

Back