What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

• The Official Roleplay UK 10 year pin badge has arrived, get one for yourself here!

Prison Sentences

JaffaBenitez

I feel currently that prison sentences are way too high and that stops people doing crime. As gruppe six I see barely any people go to jail and the ones that go to jail seem to just log off as they dont want to sit in the prison for 12 hours of the day which i understand. I feel that criminals dont want to do crime right now as the punishment is way too much. Alot of time nowadays the criminals that go to jail are random people that are dangerous driving or have a firearm. I feel like that banks arent really done anymore and not many thought out situations are made because people dont want to spend all that time planning just to risk getting caught and having to spend 12 hours in jail because a shootout occurs. Also people have to remember if the prison sentences are shorter the people that want to commit crime will go and get a gun and that means you could catch a guy with a gun 3 times a day and thats three guns off the street instead of 1 and a 12 hour sentence. In my opinion even at 6 hours max sentence would be alot better.

I do agree that 12h is too much, I remember accidentally putting someone in for 2h back when the server was new and it was the meme of the month. Suddenly 2h because one of the minor punishments.

12 hours is pretty fair for a max punishment. 

Some servers have days/weeks, and crime is still a big thing on all of these communities. 
I doubt crime is something that is happening less because of a 12 hour sentence...

It just means you need to think about your action. You won't have this "Ride or die" attitude. On Arma everyone has this "I'd rather die than go to prison" attitude, and it creates shit RP.
If you want to commit crimes, go for it. But if you want to try fight your way out, shooting guns at cops/people. Do the time for it. 

I've been very vocal for long sentences but not to the extent that we are at now, i know its meant to discourage people to not do crime as often or to we've told people to  switch to a different character for how ever long but if i was new and got sentenced to half a day/full day in jail i wouldn't be coming back its far too drastic

the way i understood it was the long sentences are meant for people that just dont provide rp and want to shoot or for the serious crimes but what i hear from cops is that they wont be lenient with hours because the book tells them its that long or they dont want to get in trouble for not following the rules

its daft and its far too extreme

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been very vocal for long sentences but not to the extent that we are at now, i know its meant to discourage people to not do crime as often or to we've told people to  switch to a different character for how ever long but if i was new and got sentenced to half a day/full day in jail i wouldn't be coming back its far too drastic

the way i understood it was the long sentences are meant for people that just dont provide rp and want to shoot or for the serious crimes but what i hear from cops is they wont be lenient with hours because the book tells them its that long or they dont want to get in trouble for not following the rules

Doesn't this mean the problem is the Police? 

Let's say that the time is reduced from 12 hours to 8 hours, 8 hours is still a long time and can still be abused. 

Doesn't this mean the problem is the Police? 

Let's say that the time is reduced from 12 hours to 8 hours, 8 hours is still a long time and can still be abused. 
Issue we face is consistent, serial offenders who habitually carry guns, knives and their aim is to take cops on. 
It’s discretionary as to what punishment you give dependant on the circumstances faced.

You have a first time offender? Give em 10% of the maximum.

On the other hand, you have someone who has gone on 2 cop killing sprees, takes 5 hostages a week and runs drugs and guns to the highest bidder? That to me is a max punishment. 

FiveM is for character development, as opposed to “I kill cop haha” or “I ruin criminals fun haha”

Theres a fine line between right and harsh, finding the balance will be difficult. But people cannot expect to get off with a major crime with a tiny punishment.

We dont know what’s being developed or is in the works, I personally feel the prison should be a continuation of a story, where criminals fight amongst themselves or do whatever it is you would do in prison. Maybe have those who step out of line be put in solitary confinement by Gruppe6?

all just ideas, but let’s not slam the police for trying to tackle major crime 

I mean last time I played on GTA, A friend of mine jacked a NPC car, drove around abit. Cops pull him over, take him to PD Roleplay with him for 40 mins then still put him into prison with 4h time because he was supposedly 'Trolling' them.

I think that police will have to rework their prison scheme in general.

Because the current imprisonment times are through the roof for no good reason.

Although i do believe that the prison sentencing could need an adjusting i also believe that if someone commits a crime and is sent to prison that they are actually punished i,e, if someone kills 10+ people that should get a large sentence and like jay said if someone want to commit a crime then they should accept the consequences for it.

i don't see anything wrong with the current sentencing other then some crimes max sentencing could be adjusted but that just my personal opinion.

Prison sentaces were previously maximum 30 minuites, as far as I remember, the decision was made by Police Command with thorough discussion with the Dev Team. 

When discussing and deciding how we move forward on the prison sentances we considered multiple factors as we knew it would be a very controversial change, we dont want to send people away for hours for doing the average crime but we want to put a firm stance that if you get caught you should think twice before doing the same crime. This does not mean you cant rob a bank, take someone hostage, or kill someone, it just means the method of how you commit your crimes play a big part in the conclusion of them. 

If you are wreckless and careless when committing crimes you are bound to be caught and you will end up serving a long sentace, if you plan crimes smartly and thoroughly, be creative with your methods then you have a much higher chance of escaping or getting away without a prison sentance. 

What originally prompted police command to review prison sentances was the fact we had complaints from multiple police officers every single day that they were being harrassed, shot, robbed and taken hostage as the criminals feared no repercussions - this is something that has drastically changed since implemented high prison sentances. 

Hopefully this give you more insight and information into what prompted the change and why we felt it was needed. 

Thanks
Shepherd.

2 weeks ago we were having a lot of issues with people not even caring about their 12 hours sentences, they would go on a murdering spree in the evening, get caught around midnight, get a 12 hour sentence, go to sleep, and be able to play again when they wake up. I don't see how reducing it would be beneficial. When I am on as a criminal I am scared to commit crimes because I don't want to go to jail for that long. I feel is how it should feel when (thinking about) commiting crimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
My only point here is that when you look at this thread the criminals think something needs to change and in my opinion that should be taken into account because apart from The Commission and Grove Street is there really any other active criminal groups. I feel like yes people who rob cops and repeat offenders should be given harsher punishments but isnt that what judges are for now? Judges could give permission for harsher sentences if they are reduced. I agree to an extent with ponty about rping in prison but who is going to sit in jail for 12 hours talking shit and just punching people and having the medics coming back every 5 minutes. I feel there is room for change and id rather see both sides hence why i put this post up

Also to add to this apart from that one group that goes around now which im sure like half of them got banned is there really anyone left who robs cops? I know alot of people stopped as its shit for the cops and people understand that and tbh I think people who rob cops should be punished harshly and this is coming from someone who used to rob cops alot back in the day. I feel like people now understand that shouldnt be done and alot of people dont rob cops. Mostly the people who robbed cops was red cross and peaky blinders and they are done. Its literally just hola beeps lot left that rob cops and if i see them do it i try stop them as its bullshit people robbing cops. But i feel like the sentences will stop people wanting to do crime at all and in my opinion there should be criminals in the city who want to do planned out crime but at the moment its not worth the risk of putting all the time in just to get caught by a cop ramming or not being able to shake something as powerful as NPAS.

the way i understood it was the long sentences are meant for people that just dont provide rp and want to shoot or for the serious crimes but what i hear from cops is that they wont be lenient with hours because the book tells them its that long or they dont want to get in trouble for not following the rules

I don't think Ive ever given a large sentence unless its a complete troll whos calling me derogatory terms or has killed and robbed multiple cops

Back