What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

• The Official Roleplay UK 10 year pin badge has arrived, get one for yourself here Less than 10 left!

16gb VS 32gb RAM

Poolie

Would I see any benefit of going from 16GB to 32GB ram on my system?

I have searched the web very intensely and it is full of conflicting info, one site will say yes and the other will say no. I do record on my PC and intend to stream from it also, I have heard that FiveM requires a decent chunk of ram so 32gb does help when streaming from same pc, but as I say that I read another site saying that the RAM usage depends on the servers RAM amount and 16gb is good enough client side.

I am hoping anyone on this community has ever upgraded from 16 to 32 and can give me the best advice.

Summary:

16gb ram vs 32gb ram for FiveM servers? WORTH IT?

Will I notice any performance increase while streaming and gaming on same PC?

Am I an idiot and should know this?

And yes I already tried  DownloadMoreRAM.com - CloudRAM 2.0

and it didn't work, which is a shame could of save 200£

2 weeks ago I went from 16GB RAM to 32GB, night and day difference. I've also googled and FiveM seems to use way more RAM for some people than others??? Which is why I upgraded. it will definitely help you though, if you're thinking about upgrading I'd say go for it 🙂

Couple key questions for this -

What is your current ram speed?

Are you just going to throw in more identical sticks to get up to 32 or buy a new set - if so what speed will that be?

What are your other specs? The jump from 16 to 32 on a system bottlenecked due to other components will just be a waste of time for gaming

2 weeks ago I went from 16GB RAM to 32GB, night and day difference. I've also googled and FiveM seems to use way more RAM for some people than others??? Which is why I upgraded. it will definitely help you though, if you're thinking about upgrading I'd say go for it 🙂
Im glad someone who has actually done the upgrade has responded and hopefully I will see a difference.

Couple key questions for this -

What is your current ram speed?

Are you just going to throw in more identical sticks to get up to 32 or buy a new set - if so what speed will that be?

What are your other specs? The jump from 16 to 32 on a system bottlenecked due to other components will just be a waste of time for gaming

My current RAM speed is 2666mhz

I will be buying a new set which will be the Corsair Vengeance pro series and the speed is 3200mhz.

My other specs: I7 8700  //  RTX 2060 SUPER // SSDs & 2x NVME // 1000w PSU

Im glad someone who has actually done the upgrade has responded and hopefully I will see a difference.

My current RAM speed is 2666mhz

I will be buying a new set which will be the Corsair Vengeance pro series and the speed is 3200mhz.

My other specs: I7 8700  //  RTX 2060 SUPER // SSDs & 2x NVME // 1000w PSU
you'll likely see a massive difference due to the upgrade in ram speed more than anything

i havent actually upgraded the RAM speed yet in the BIOS because im lazy and it defaulted at 2200 even though it goes to 3600 so even purely just with the extra memory it should help i think

you'll likely see a massive difference due to the upgrade in ram speed more than anything
I'm hoping so, I've been doing a lot of editing and getting some things ready to start some streaming and make better recordings/editing for Youtube/Twitch.

So I've ordered now, even bagged myself a new 4TB SSD and will relay back here the results for anyone else who may want to upgrade in the future.

Will do some benchmarking with current and then some with new ram.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right! The ram arrived and I have installed it and done some basic tests to see what benefits I get and as promised I will relay that here for any people in the future with the same question.

START UP:

So I have around 5-6 programs that start when I first boot my system and normally with 16GB ram, these take around a minute to all load.

What I immediately noticed upon starting my system and getting to the desktop they all loaded within 15 seconds!! Lightening fast, the best way I can describe it is, when SSDs first came out and I transitioned from HDD to SSD and the loading times improved drastically.

SYSTEM:

My system just feels a lot more responsive and snappy.

GAME:

The loading into game was reduced by about 50 seconds, really fast. Noticed textures and such load in very quickly and again just a lot more responsive. I have noticed a slight increase in FPS but only 8-15fps but as mentioned the loading and responsiveness is VERY noticeable.

MULTITASKING:

So with my game open, 10 browsers and OBS (recording and streaming) THERE WAS NO LAGS OR SPIKES JUST VERY SMOOTH.

I honestly for anybody thinking of this upgrade and wondering if the performance increase will be worth it,  think..... just go for it! Especially the ram speed too, I have went from 2666MHz to 3200MHz for reference.

Thank you to @Warwick  @Neovo and @Simon Ross for your responses and input.

RAM speed is the key thing. 16 to 32gb will be minimal, but depends how much shite you have open at the end of the day.

DDR5 is coming soon I believe.

RAM speed is the key thing. 16 to 32gb will be minimal, but depends how much shite you have open at the end of the day.

DDR5 is coming soon I believe.
Some games are starting to recommend 12gb, which only leaves 4gb for "shite" in the background.

If you want to play high end games and also have apps open in the background, 16gb isn't optimal. 

Back