What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

• The Official Roleplay UK 10 year pin badge has arrived, get one for yourself here!

Weekly community meetings brought back?

Would you like to see weekly community meetings be brought back?

• Yes I'd love the weekly meetings come back!

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • No not really, can I have my pizza now?

Votes: 27 43.5%

• Total voters

Stevie

I know staff and whitelisted groups have their meetings every few weeks however I think it would be beneficial to also add community meetings back to the mix. Everybody would be able to sit down together and talk about issues, concerns, ideas and future of the FiveM server. Many posts have been going up lately about the state of the RP server and a bunch of people have mixed opinions. I feel like community meetings would be good in a sense that all the gangs/orgs/devs/staff will be able to point what's going good and bad, and how can we fix it for the future so the server doesn't turn into a clown fiesta. It would be a good way to bring the community together and figure out a way forward and make the experience more enjoyable for everyone. 

We could schedule meetings in discord once or twice a month and let everybody listen in and bring people in to talk and give feedback about the server, so everybody in the community is included. 

-Stve

(Weekly might be a bit too often but every once in a while whenever the staff and devs have some spare time to have a chat)

Last edited by a moderator:
think your missing out on some points here

Who's gonna run the meeting?
have said people agreed to run the meeting?(if it isn't yourself)

other than that, don't think it's gonna be worth the time, it would probably end in a few meetings and then slowly die down.

we even have a TS channel for community meetings and i believe last time that what used was when altis almost died the first time around

my opinion not staff and so on

200.gif

@Nikolai

1 - Hosted by Staff / Devs to answer community questions 
2 - If you don't try you'll never know if it's going to be beneficial. I feel meetings like this is the one of the best ways for the community to stay in touch and talk out the ongoing issues present in the server. If it's not beneficial then stop doing them, it doesn't hurt anybody to try and have at least 30 mins to an hour of time to talk about it.
3 - Nobody uses TS other than whitelisted groups that are required to stay on TS and people who grew up with it. The exposure would be a lot bigger if meetings were to happen in discord.

I also don't understand why you're trying so hard to justify not having the meeting, what's so awfully bad about bringing the community together for an hour once every few weeks to talk out the issues and improve everybodys experience when we log in to the server?

I believe its because people's trust in the community is so bad, that they will always expect the worst possible scenario eg. all meetings will end up in useless arguments and nothing solved/ no questions answered. Basically lots of people have give up on bringing the community together. With the current community mentality, it will prove to be VERY HARD to make sure everyone comes together and agree on one thing, to discuss together and make RPUK a better community. Very hard, yes, but not impossible. Its just the amount of effort and work that everyone needs to put in is a lot, and when people think about that, they just dont bother. 

Small steps are required for things like this, and usually its a small group of people who are really motivated to bring about good change, but then the majority of people who dont want to put in the effort, will likely just overpower this small group of motivated people and in the end it just goes back to where it all started.

I'm curious if the RPUK community members will be able to pull off something as difficult as this. We need the majority to bring about change, not just one person. It has to be mutual and everyone needs to put in the same amount of effort and match each other's energy. Very difficult, but not impossible. Just very difficult xD

@Nikolai

1 - Hosted by Staff / Devs to answer community questions 
2 - If you don't try you'll never know if it's going to be beneficial. I feel meetings like this is the one of the best ways for the community to stay in touch and talk out the ongoing issues present in the server. If it's not beneficial then stop doing them, it doesn't hurt anybody to try and have at least 30 mins to an hour of time to talk about it.
3 - Nobody uses TS other than whitelisted groups that are required to stay on TS and people who grew up with it. The exposure would be a lot bigger if meetings were to happen in discord.

I also don't understand why you're trying so hard to justify not having the meeting, what's so awfully bad about bringing the community together for an hour once every few weeks to talk out the issues and improve everybodys experience when we log in to the server?
You have not been here long so this community does have some bad history with community meetings. They used to happen every now and then on Arma 3 and they almost always ended in people being bitter and twisted and a complete and utter dev bashing event. So yes, staff and devs are very much not in favour because of this. 

You are right, it does not hurt to talk about these things but to be honest, we can all see issues and they dont need to be spoke about every week. So in terms of if we dont try we will never know, we have tried and we do know how they tend to go. 

Your right, it would. But in my opinion would not be worth the demotivation they would cause to staff/devs.

I, myself would actually go to one of these but more as someone to oversee when people inevitably get too excited and start crossing the line. Suggestions are great and i know this is coming from the angle of you wanting to better the community as a whole. But we well and truly have been there, got that T shirt and for me.. i would burn that T shirt hahaha

Thanks to the devs and staff who took time out of their day to have a chat with everybody today in discord. It's been refreshing and hopefully we can do more of these in the future, thanks again 😄

You have not been here long so this community does have some bad history with community meetings. They used to happen every now and then on Arma 3 and they almost always ended in people being bitter and twisted and a complete and utter dev bashing event. So yes, staff and devs are very much not in favour because of this. 

You are right, it does not hurt to talk about these things but to be honest, we can all see issues and they dont need to be spoke about every week. So in terms of if we dont try we will never know, we have tried and we do know how they tend to go. 

Your right, it would. But in my opinion would not be worth the demotivation they would cause to staff/devs.

I, myself would actually go to one of these but more as someone to oversee when people inevitably get too excited and start crossing the line. Suggestions are great and i know this is coming from the angle of you wanting to better the community as a whole. But we well and truly have been there, got that T shirt and for me.. i would burn that T shirt hahaha
ARMA 3 community meetings were a mass shit talk session tbf, then it got to the point where there was no point in even doing them

I see where your coming from. Also, the VC in discord whilst the server was down was quite fun. However, I see these meetings ending quite badly tbh.

I have to say I think the community meetings are a bad idea. If people want to put forward ideas and suggestions there is the suggestions on the forums. Doing it in a setting with many people leads to large groups of friends pushing for what they want on the server rather then what will benefit the server as a whole,. In the past this has worked in the short term as these groups become more active or happier but generally more negatively effects other players on the server who are not really heard during the meetings. 

If staff or devs need to give feedback to gangs, factions or players this can be done fine by having meetings with gang and faction leaders or by posting on the forums or discord.

just a reminder...

In recent years, every time we had a community meeting for Arma it was due to the server dying - not exactly the thing to be celebrating.

That isn't the case for GTA, but still, it isn't worth the time it takes. People join, ideas are thrown around and then everyone moves on with their lives with maybe 1 or 2 ideas being taken from it. Likewise the dev team inform you of what is happening but if things are inevitably delayed for a range of reasons people are then left disheartened. Just not worth the time.

They are fun as a social get together and that is it. 

I agree to this but weekly is a bit much. I think fortnightly at the least maybe monthly.

maybe not a community meeting but a monthly newsletter on what's being worked on what's being developed and people can submit questions and they can be answered by the staff and devs depending on the question make it a podcast if you like XD but it would be layed out similar to when a update is realised for the fivem server is says what's new in the community newsletter it will say what devs are up to questions answered maybe some announcements of server events. a lot of ideas can be put forward and answered by the devs and staff themselves on the news letter.

maybe not a community meeting but a monthly newsletter on what's being worked on what's being developed and people can submit questions and they can be answered by the staff and devs depending on the question make it a podcast if you like XD but it would be layed out similar to when a update is realised for the fivem server is says what's new in the community newsletter it will say what devs are up to questions answered maybe some announcements of server events. a lot of ideas can be put forward and answered by the devs and staff themselves on the news letter.
No, dev work should stay private. I appreciate people like to know what's coming when but some projects don't work out, change or take longer than expected plus devs have other commitments, they are volunteering to work on FiveM content plus all the bug fixes they do. A newsletter is a terrible idea I think, because it puts unnecessary pressure on our devs. They are volunteers and should get to work on what they wanna work on in their own time without pressure.

recom has stated he never wants this. it puts time pressure on volunteers. like he will maybe say what is comming. Once they know they can do it but will never hive date (clothes and imports as examples) if you promise this then dont deliver its ammo for dev bashers

No, dev work should stay private. I appreciate people like to know what's coming when but some projects don't work out, change or take longer than expected plus devs have other commitments, they are volunteering to work on FiveM content plus all the bug fixes they do. A newsletter is a terrible idea I think, because it puts unnecessary pressure on our devs. They are volunteers and should get to work on what they wanna work on in their own time without pressure.

recom has stated he never wants this. it puts time pressure on volunteers. like he will maybe say what is comming. Once they know they can do it but will never hive date (clothes and imports as examples) if you promise this then dont deliver its ammo for dev bashers
the easy solution to those problems is just put at the bottom of the newsletter "features mentioned above are liable for delay or cancelation and decisions are taken in the best interest for the server."

at the end of the day you cant please everyone and if people bash the devs for failing to do something they need to realise they are doing this for free in the own time off and people need to respect that and give appreciation to the work that is put in to the server we aren't a highly funded AAA title game developer it is its own server to provide a UK based roleplay that is built off people's free time.

the easy solution to those problems is just put at the bottom of the newsletter "features mentioned above are liable for delay or cancelation and decisions are taken in the best interest for the server."

at the end of the day you cant please everyone and if people bash the devs for failing to do something they need to realise they are doing this for free in the own time off and people need to respect that and give appreciation to the work that is put in to the server we aren't a highly funded AAA title game developer it is its own server to provide a UK based roleplay that is built off people's free time.
I get what you're saying Nazgul and you've been here long enough to know it has been tried well before FiveM and didn't work. But hey, I'm not a dev, it's ultimately upto their preference, if they want to, then cool. If they don't want to, that's cool too.

I just always look forward to what they produce and love it especially when they take the time to put one of my ideas into the game, as do we all because it makes us feel more a part of the community and enhances the experience.

I'll be honest.. I tried coming back recently, and everywhere I went it was:
'put your hands up, give me the keys to your car, give me your smoothies.'
*Complies. Gets stabbed and ocean dumped with car*

The server isn't as popular as it once was and it's really easy for anybody to join most of the time. It used to be rather exclusive with constant ques from 5pm-midnight. Many of the people who should be setting examples of what RP is aren't. Gang RP still looks to be very OOC and salty. I would like to see more fluidity and deeper understanding between the main players on the server. The report section is constantly being filled up with nonsense; minor rule breaks and terrible RP.

Admins and staff members aren't required for this, but they should be involved if it does happen otherwise player-2-player OOC agreements can be vetod or contradicted by staff. The main players of the server should talk more OOC and until they do I think RPUK's standard of roleplay will continue to spiral. There are so many great things about this server but there are things equally as bad.

I think if folks are unable to be civil OOC then that reflects how salty the RP is. They go hand in hand. If you can't talk OOC then you'll have terrible ingame experiences and RP. I think to break the spiral of bitternes within the game people must talk OOC. Simple things like 'I know we're at war, but let's not bully or create scenarios that are purely one sided'. Things like repetative kidnapping for no reason other than to feel on top/show dominance. I saw it from Ballas and Aztecas, pointless kidnapping and then ocean dumping that creates no long term RP and leads to burnout. I really felt it when I was part of Syndicate. There was friction and division everywhere (gang2gang and in-gang fighting) and everytime a juicy RP scenario happened it dissolved in the tears everytime someone lost a gun.

I'll be honest.. I tried coming back recently, and everywhere I went it was:
'put your hands up, give me the keys to your car, give me your smoothies.'
*Complies. Gets stabbed and ocean dumped with car*

The server isn't as popular as it once was and it's really easy for anybody to join most of the time. It used to be rather exclusive with constant ques from 5pm-midnight. Many of the people who should be setting examples of what RP is aren't. Gang RP still looks to be very OOC and salty. I would like to see more fluidity and deeper understanding between the main players on the server. The report section is constantly being filled up with nonsense; minor rule breaks and terrible RP.

Admins and staff members aren't required for this, but they should be involved if it does happen otherwise player-2-player OOC agreements can be vetod or contradicted by staff. The main players of the server should talk more OOC and until they do I think RPUK's standard of roleplay will continue to spiral. There are so many great things about this server but there are things equally as bad.

I think if folks are unable to be civil OOC then that reflects how salty the RP is. They go hand in hand. If you can't talk OOC then you'll have terrible ingame experiences and RP. I think to break the spiral of bitternes within the game people must talk OOC. Simple things like 'I know we're at war, but let's not bully or create scenarios that are purely one sided'. Things like repetative kidnapping for no reason other than to feel on top/show dominance. I saw it from Ballas and Aztecas, pointless kidnapping and then ocean dumping that creates no long term RP and leads to burnout. I really felt it when I was part of Syndicate. There was friction and division everywhere (gang2gang and in-gang fighting) and everytime a juicy RP scenario happened it dissolved in the tears everytime someone lost a gun.
Your points made here are valid points and also been spoken about here:

I do agree, gangs need to be at the forefront of these changes. But community meetings usually end in bashing of staff/devs not exactly player/player conflicts. 

Back