What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

• The Official Roleplay UK 10 year pin badge has arrived, get one for yourself here!

Swimming with the Fish

Hank Summers

Staff Team
Staff Team
If I recall correctly there was a massive public outcry and uproar at the use and frequency of Police Tactical Contact towards fleeing suspects, stating that the Police are too OP for using it for minor offences and so forth.

Well over the last couple of weeks I've noticed a MASSIVE increase in fleeing suspects 'dunking' their cars, either by the docks or from the pier, this is so frustrating from the Police perspective as not only is it just a waste of a pursuit, but it also ruins the potential for masses of RP! I feel that criminals now, literally just want to go around robbing shops, dumping people etc and then if they get a chase its as though they can't be bothered with any RP, as though its a chore and boom all I hear over the radio is 'they're going for the pier' or 'they're in the water'. Then if we do manage to successfully pull off TC on the pier to prevent them from going into the water they cry because we 'shouldn't have'. 

This practice is starting to get more and more frequent and its just preventing great things coming from RP scenarios within the city.

Just wanted to get some frustration out by ranting this, but it would be interesting to know what other people, both cops and crims think of this, and maybe someone who has done it to find their reasoning as there might be something more than what I'm seeing.

I think in some scenarios with the correct planning it can be pulled off to an extent of good RP, not diving into the water dropping items and then collecting them later on, for example, i have taken a chase before and asked someone on radio to get a jetski and meet me in the canals, I have then managed to get onto the jetski and avoid custody that way. I have also tried this and failed being stopped (rightly so) before entering the water (on foot). Now as for driving a car at high speed off the pier, I can see a reason that losing a car in RP is better than going to jail for X amount of time in RP, and the damages that it causes to the car ect but I think the basis behind people doing this is that they know their car will be fine and they get away regardless and have their car back at the next storm. 

I feel this is a catch 22, due to the dynamics of the server, cars that go into the water can be retrieved for the same price as one that has been left/stolen, this doesn't correlate to the damages, for example, a car that has been dunked into the water for several hours even minutes will more than likely be in other words fucked, it would need a new engine ect. An idea to combat this would be to increase the cost to retrieve out of the impound ( RP basis - Time spent getting it out of the water. Time spent repairing ect.)

Now I think its the same as someone who is downed by police and does "bleeding out, no pulse." its all about moderation, its not so much that the idea of driving of the pier is wrong, but if every time you get into a chase you do that, then you're not allowing the other party chance to RP. The same way that if you "no pulse" consistently when you get downed you're avoiding continuing the RP, possibly to avoid prison time, potential loss of cars, items.

I think the only issue that lies with this is in some cases it can provide for some decent RP. And in some cases it can provide for very little RP. It all comes down to choice of the player at hand, do they choose to attempt a different escape and potentially get caught, or do they go for the pier where they more than likely won't get caught. 

I myself don't care for items and have numerous times as you are aware took one on the chin, but it actually creates for good RP. 

I feel some people fail to understand that getting away is not the be all and end all, and to actually have fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say driving a car into the water full speed should be classed as fail driving, so if someone would do that, you should either report them or speak with them about it but as for stopping your car next to the water and swimming away with potentially someone to pick you up i don't see the issue with that.

Yeah it has become a bit of a meta to just dunk your car in the water and grab a local boat, if people are doing it every now and again its great fun to break out the MPO assets but with the frequency that it is done it is becoming more of a meta rather then actually having any RP behind it.

I would say driving a car into the water full speed should be classed as fail driving, so if someone would do that, you should either report them or speak with them about it but as for stopping your car next to the water and swimming away with potentially someone to pick you up i don't see the issue with that.
Agreed, it would be great to have some staff clarification on this because I know that if you are making off from police fail driving normally is out of the question. However IRL the only people I could see doing something this crazy is people up for some serious crimes. Attempt Murder, Murder, Terrorism. Things like this not just for having enough for PWITS... 

But yes it is becoming abit of a joke, its awful because it happens so much and I agree in my opinion it should fall under fail driving because no one unless as I mentioned in serious deep water or struggling mentally would think about going into the water at 100MPH off of a pier which IRL would do some serious damage.

If I recall correctly there was a massive public outcry and uproar at the use and frequency of Police Tactical Contact towards fleeing suspects, stating that the Police are too OP for using it for minor offences and so forth.
I believe this stems from simple pettiness on both sides. What I mean by this is that criminals are likely not happy about what you stated above, and like you said there was 'public outcry' over it. I think this is where crims start to think, 'If the police are going to give me poor rp, I will give poor rp back' believing that the police just want to win every situation. While the police are likely sitting there thinking the exact same thing about the criminals so it just becomes a downward spiral. It is six of one and half a dozen of the other without anyone realising it. If players on criminal chars were to trust the rp of the police and vice versa, I fully believe these issues would become rare occurrences.

I appreciate everyone taking the time to reply, I will be replying to everyone’s comments tonight when I get a moment 

The most important thing is that people remember to bring their A game when it comes to RP and think less about your individual task/goal, but give others a great experience and play your role the best you can. Some people just want to get a win, so they ignore all logic and forget this is RP not GTA. If you drove your car at full speed into water you would likely die right away, get knocked out cold and drown or get trapped in the car due to the water pressure.

Perhaps give the police the ability to tow the car out of the water and ID the suspect? give the police some follow up investigatory powers. Then the people who do this dont get any benefit from it any more. Seems like the best solution to me. 

Give the police - and the rest of us - subaqua gear finally. Give people a chance to use the ocean for more stuff. 

Police dive team to suit up and go down and snap the plate on the car for identification purposes sorts out this latest "issue" until crims find another way around certain things. It is as it should be, constantly evolving.

Scuba gear is already in game. Just very restricted in use.

Police dive team to suit up and go down and snap the plate on the car for identification purposes sorts out this latest "issue" until crims find another way around certain things. It is as it should be, constantly evolving.

Scuba gear is already in game. Just very restricted in use.
You nailed it... This would be great to witness and snap shots for Tweedle

Back