What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

• The Official Roleplay UK 10 year pin badge has arrived, get one for yourself here Less than 10 left!

The Bird/Hatches Build

Haywire

Escaped Convict
Hey!
I have been searching for the right computer since October 1st with my budget of £1400 and I have finally got all the parts. Had some great advice from the community!

J5jfbVH.jpg

nP0ksbU.jpg

*UPDATED*
Finished the build!

Case

NZXT H440 Mid Tower Case

CPU

I7-4790k 4GHz

Graphics Card

MSI GTX 980TI 6GB

Motherboard

MSI Z97 Gaming 3 

CPU Cooler

be quiet! - BK019 Dark Rock Pro3 Heastsink

Ram

16GB Ripjaws X Dual Channel Memory (2x 8GB, DDR3 1600MHz)

HDD

Seagate Barracuda 3.5" 2TB 7200 RPM 

SSD

Samsung 2.5" 250 GB 850 EVO 

PSU

Corsair RM750 80 Plus Gold 750w

Keyboard

Logitech Gaming Keyboard G510s

Mouse

Logitech G502 Proteus Core Tunable Gaming Mouse

Monitor

Asus 24-inch 3D LED Monitor (1920x1080, 144Hz)

I got this for under £1400 (excluding the peripherals) which i'm very happy with! Anyway, i'm hoping i'll notice an improvement in performance from my current i3-3220 / GTX 650 and hopefully I can make a return to the streets of Altis :D  

Last edited by a moderator:
YES WE'RE MSI 980TI BROTHERS!  :Cool:

Looks awesome in bits, i cant wait to see it all together! Plese make sure you do that build and case justice with some cable management! :D

Ooh and dont forget you'll almost certainly need a mate to help you fit the CPU cooler. You probably can do it on your own but it's much easier with a friend.

YES WE'RE MSI 980TI BROTHERS!  :Cool:

Looks awesome in bits, i cant wait to see it all together! Plese make sure you do that build and case justice with some cable management! :D
Haha i'll have my geeky friend round who'll babysit me during the build. He wont let me f*ck it up xD

No long sleeves, no long hair, no carpet! And dont forget the CPU 4-8pin power plug on the top left of the mobo. I forget it every time and then despair for 10 minutes at why it wont turn on. Your PSU will have CPU or EPS marked on it :)

No long sleeves, no long hair, no carpet! And dont forget the CPU 4-8pin power plug on the top left of the mobo. I forget it every time and then despair for 10 minutes at why it wont turn on. Your PSU will have CPU or EPS marked on it :)
Thanks for the headsup! Your help has been amazing in regards to buying the right parts, I would have really messed up otherwise lol.

You'll be happy to know that the guy i'm building this with is very experienced, even though i'm pretty clueless I should be able to rely on him.

....unless he really wants to get back at me for something in which case this would be the perfect way to do so o.o

Thanks for the headsup! Your help has been amazing in regards to buying the right parts, I would have really messed up otherwise lol.

You'll be happy to know that the guy i'm building this with is very experienced, even though i'm pretty clueless I should be able to rely on him.

....unless he really wants to get back at me for something in which case this would be the perfect way to do so o.o
You're very welcome, more than happy to help :)

Building a PC is pretty easy, i'd say watch and get involved where you can - everything only fits in one place one way round really. Watch your mate as he builds it so when you come to upgrade or outright replace, you know how to do it next time :)

Ususally it'll go like:

Case -> Mobo Backplate -> Standoffs and fit Mobo -> Fit CPU -> Fit Memory -> Fit Case Fans -> Fit CPU Cooler -> Fit PSU -> Fit Cables into mobo -> Feed cables through routing holes to components -> Press power to enjoy -> Fit the CPU power cable you forgot.

You're very welcome, more than happy to help :)

Building a PC is pretty easy, i'd say watch and get involved where you can - everything only fits in one place one way round really. Watch your mate as he builds it so when you come to upgrade or outright replace, you know how to do it next time :)

Ususally it'll go like:

Case -> Mobo Backplate -> Standoffs and fit Mobo -> Fit CPU -> Fit Memory -> Fit Case Fans -> Fit CPU Cooler -> Fit PSU -> Fit Cables into mobo -> Feed cables through routing holes to components -> Press power to enjoy -> Fit the CPU power cable you forgot.
You forgot something...

Case -> Mobo Backplate -> Standoffs and fit Mobo -> Fit CPU -> Fit Memory -> Fit Case Fans -> Fit CPU Cooler -> Fit PSU -> Fit Cables into mobo -> Feed cables through routing holes to components -> Press power to enjoy -> Spend 20 mins reseating everything assuming it's probably a bit of dust -> Fit the CPU power cable you forgot.

Also... why not fit CPU and RAM before installing mobo? Makes things so much easier xD

You forgot something...

Case -> Mobo Backplate -> Standoffs and fit Mobo -> Fit CPU -> Fit Memory -> Fit Case Fans -> Fit CPU Cooler -> Fit PSU -> Fit Cables into mobo -> Feed cables through routing holes to components -> Press power to enjoy -> Spend 20 mins reseating everything assuming it's probably a bit of dust -> Fit the CPU power cable you forgot.

Also... why not fit CPU and RAM before installing mobo? Makes things so much easier xD
Oh and I also forgot the INTENSE WORRY YOU JUST THREW AWAY £1400.

I always fit it once bolted in the case to stop any chance of the mobo sliding off whatever i'm building on, onto my jeans which when i'm building a pc i assume are basically made of static electricity.

@Zeito

Hi, I was just reading the back of my GPU and under the system requirements box it states "Windows 8.1, 8, 7 and vista" - not including windows 10.

Do you reckon the card will work with Win 10? I assume it may be due to the fact the card was released before Win 10 but i'd like to make sure in case I need to replace my OS.

Sorry for all the questions xD

@Zeito

Hi, I was just reading the back of my GPU and under the system requirements box it states "Windows 8.1, 8, 7 and vista" - not including windows 10.

Do you reckon the card will work with Win 10? I assume it may be due to the fact the card was released before Win 10 but i'd like to make sure in case I need o replace my OS.

Sorry for all the questions xD
I can tell you for a fact it works fine with windows 10. It only states up to 8.1 as 10 wasnt released whe nthe card was released. I have windows 10 on my desktop and it's just peachy.

No worries about the questions, feel free to tag or PM any time.

Finished the build today!

Took a good few hours to build but everything worked perfectly upon launch which was amazing! Had a few problems with the drivers and the case fans need a wire extension so i'm leaving the sides of the case off for the time being. Will definitely upload a picture when everythings sorted!

But hell, my old PC could barely run Arma on 20 fps low settings. I am thrilled with this one, games like GTA, Arma, BF4 etc look great! 

Let's see how it is! Case fans need an extension? For what? If they're not reaching a fan controller, they should reach the mobo fan pins, just use those in the time being, at least then the mobo can regulate the temp itself. No case sides means no thermal dynamic, and more dust will be attracted to your new shiney components!

Ooh and how was fitting the CPU cooler? @The Bird

Let's see how it is! Case fans need an extension? For what? If they're not reaching a fan controller, they should reach the mobo fan pins, just use those in the time being, at least then the mobo can regulate the temp itself. No case sides means no thermal dynamic, and more dust will be attracted to your new shiney components!

Ooh and how was fitting the CPU cooler? @The Bird
The CPU Cooler looked scary at first because it was huge but it did fit fine. Bit of a squeeze though.

We didn't have much problems fitting it on either. The motherboard was really nicely designed so it went on quite nicely, only problem was we had to lift it up to fit the ram in.

@Zeito

Sorry for delaying posting pictures.. I wanted the fan to be working before I did ;)

Anyway, I have updated my post with pics of the build! Not the best quality I know..but I guess it's better than potato Mr PC God used eh ?

As you can see there isn't a whole lot of free space but temperatures have been staying pretty cool. The only thing now is to fix the layout on my desk so I can see the window 

EDIT: That CPU Cooler really is a monster

PRxFYuv.jpg

@Zeito

Sorry for delaying posting pictures.. I wanted the fan to be working before I did ;)

Anyway, I have updated my post with pics of the build! Not the best quality I know..but I guess it's better than potato Mr PC God used eh ?

As you can see there isn't a whole lot of free space but temperatures have been staying pretty cool. The only thing now is to fix the layout on my desk so I can see the window 
That looks great! The cooler DOMINATES that case! You should get nice low temps with it anyway, and virtually no noise as you've heard :)

That cable management though, c'mon man! You should route those better for airflow some time :)

How are you finding it so far?

That looks great! The cooler DOMINATES that case! You should get nice low temps with it anyway, and virtually no noise as you've heard :)

That cable management though, c'mon man! You should route those better for airflow some time :)

How are you finding it so far?
I built this computer off youtube vids and manuals that drove me crazy xD I had a friend come over to check it and luckily it all worked first time..I was too excited to tie up the cables lol, but I will definitely get round to it.

As of it's performance, there hasn't been any problems. Run all the games I have thrown at it on max settings which is great. It's really nice to have a computer which I can rely on rather than a computer which relies on me not too open too many tabs  

Oh..and the instant boot is great. Took my old one at least 5 minutes to fully start up whereas this one only needs a few seconds. Love it

This is truely a computer that rivals most likely a lot of other people's computers playing on the server. Glad to know your running with really good specs but now you can't use the my computer crashed excuse haha.

Back