What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

• The Official Roleplay UK 10 year pin badge has arrived, get one for yourself here 5 left!

Shadowplay doesn't save video - SOLVED

TomTheDoge

Plate Spinner
Lifetime Donator
Unlinked
I haven't really been able to record my gameplay for a while now as I previously used shadowplay to great success and quite suddenly I noticed it wasn't really working.

To elaborate on "not working" - When I press alt + F10 to get my last 5 mins, my game hitches a bit as if it is writing to the disk or whatever (I expect it worked) and upon checking the destination folder found on shadowplay, there is an "Arma 3" folder but nothing in it.

I have reinstalled graphics drivers, Geforce experience, tweaked settings etc. but i'm rather stumped.

If I had to guess it almost seems like it doesn't have permission to write to disk anymore or something like that so it records correctly but it can't save it. The problem being I don't know how to aleviate this issue. I would really like to be able to record my gameplay more seamlessly again as I have missed out on recording some great roleplay scenarios due to it not working. I don't intend on accepting "use plays.tv" as an answer since that isn't a fix, its a workaround XD

Can one of the lovely tech wizards help me please!

PS. @lionel+ @Zeito

Last edited by a moderator:
My Shadowplay was broken in ArmA for a while but I managed to fix it and it captures just about all the time now.

My solution was going to NVIDIA GeForce Experience > Preferences > Shadowplay and checking the tickbox allow desktop capture. This has solved the problem for me just about completely apart form the red line on the status indicator. Sometimes files will save under desktop and sometimes under ArmA 3 but this was the solution I used to fix my Shadowplay.

Which drive are you writing to ? do you only have 1 drive ?

if you can give us some more details on your computing environment this would be great !

Already using desktop capture as it was a favourite feature of mine. Thanks for suggestion though.

Apologies @lionelI should know better ;) 

GTX 980, latest drivers

Windows 10 64 bit

Shadowplay is both installed on and attempting to save to my C: Drive (Samsung SSD of model I forget and would have to look up) I have a second drive (HDD) that it has only occurred to me now to try saving to. Your call if you think it's worth trying.

Thanks!

yes plz try saving to separate drive. let us know what happens.

yes plz try saving to separate drive. let us know what happens.
Destination file changed to E: Drive and I popped the status indicator on the overlay to see what was happening.

When I hit either Alt+F9 or Alt+F10 for manual / shadow - The indicator changes for a second to demonstrate it has saved. It even created an appropriate "desktop" folder in the new output folder in order to put the videos in, but they are both empty folders. It gets all the way to the last moment and then doesn't save them.

Have you changed the temp directory as well ? 

*on a side note, I personally would never use Shadowplay or similar on a SSD, due to it hammering the drive constantly for hours on end.

Temp and destination both moved to HDD. Same issue occurs.

*On that note I hadn't thought about it like that. Thanks!

Please could you try this windows update.
I do believe you have unearthed another problem in the progress. My media feature pack isn't very happy (I won't elaborate right now) and is potentially the problem. Running that update told me it was already installed so I could do with fully uninstalling it but I don't really know how to XD

Any instructions for uninstalling a feature like that would be great!

My media feature pack isn't very happy (I won't elaborate right now) - Kind of need to, to potentially understand the problem.

Any instructions for uninstalling a feature like that would be great!
features can be uninstalled by reading this http://www.howtogeek.com/224798/how-to-uninstall-windows-10s-built-in-apps-and-how-to-reinstall-them/?PageSpeed=noscript

updates can be removed by reading this http://www.howtogeek.com/223864/how-to-uninstall-and-block-updates-and-drivers-on-windows-10/?PageSpeed=noscript

Sorry was easier to link you to those than writing it all down again :) if your really struggling ping me a msg on steam tonight.

I have the exact same problem but on windows 7 i switched both save folders to my hdd nothing appears in either folder tho it looks like its recording cause when i alt+f9 it stutters fps drops a smidge and when i press alt+f9 returns to normal but nothing is saved

For me after the new geforce experience update I cant record it either.

Seems a bit weird.

For me after the new geforce experience update I cant record it either.

Seems a bit weird.
My mate had this issue as well, but it was fixed in the latest update :/ in his case he couldn't see shadowplay at all in geforce (is that what your having?)

Back