What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

• The Official Roleplay UK 10 year pin badge has arrived, get one for yourself here Less than 10 left!

What to upgrade?

Delta

Not American
So my Desktop is around 3 years old now (if not older) and the only thing I have added/changed is a couple gigs of RAM. It's holding up well enough I suppose but it feels lacking in some areas, especially with demanding games like Arma 3, as well as it overheating a fair bit.

So I will post the specs below and I was wondering if any of you have any advice on what I could change/add to boost performance

(Btw, I have't touched anything along the lines of over clocking as I am too afraid i'l bungle something up)

Processor: AMD FX 8320 Eight core processor 3.50 GHz

RAM: 16.0 GB

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series

System Type: 64 bit Operating system, x64 based processor

I have missed anything please tell me

CPU first, if your going Intel you'll need to change your MOBO, if you upgrade your graphics to say a 1080 there could be a chance of bottlenecking between your GPU and your current CPU

(also I have the same CPU... so many cores...)

CPU Then GPU, never get AMD always overheats ^ But if you change to Intel, the mobo would be changed so possibly look into a new case to, to maximise air flow with case fans are room the case etc

Last edited by a moderator:
CPU Then GPU, never get AMD always overheats ^ But if you change to Intel, the mobo would be changed so possibly look into a new case to, to maximise air flow with case fans are room the case etc
You're a fucking idiot :/
You first explain how AMD always overheat yet suggest a new case for better airflow with an Intel, conflicting much.

There are fine reasons to suggest Intel over AMD (listed below), the one you have given is about the only one that is completely bullshit due to thermal throttling which has been in use for years on both Intel and AMD.
Intel performs better on Arma than AMD 
Intel has a lower power usage per cycle

You should not be giving advice if this is the best you can come up with, this is a tech section which requires provable fact not a fanboi club. Please refrain from posting uninformative crap in future.

You first explain how AMD always overheat yet suggest a new case for better airflow with an Intel, conflicting much.

There are fine reasons to suggest Intel over AMD (listed below), the one you have given is about the only one that is completely bullshit due to thermal throttling which has been in use for years on both Intel and AMD.

You should not be giving advice if this is the best you can come up with, this is a tech section which requires provable fact not a fanboi club. Please refrain from posting uninformative crap in future.
lol amd sux azzzzz.

So my Desktop is around 3 years old now (if not older) and the only thing I have added/changed is a couple gigs of RAM. It's holding up well enough I suppose but it feels lacking in some areas, especially with demanding games like Arma 3, as well as it overheating a fair bit.

So I will post the specs below and I was wondering if any of you have any advice on what I could change/add to boost performance

(Btw, I have't touched anything along the lines of over clocking as I am too afraid i'l bungle something up)

Processor: AMD FX 8320 Eight core processor 3.50 GHz

RAM: 16.0 GB

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series

System Type: 64 bit Operating system, x64 based processor

I have missed anything please tell me
If you can afford the big change Delta, I would also agree with the change from AMD to Intel. As @lionelmy friend has said above, Intel will do more per clock cycle* while using less power. Less power usage = less heat radiated by the cpu = better running temps.

As explained already you'll need a new motherboard as Intel and AMD use different sockets etc.  If you've upgraded to windows 10, you will have to put a short support request in to Microsoft in order to have your licence reactivated for a major hardware change, but it shouldnt be a big deal.

CPU wise, if you're looking to go latest and greatest than a Z170 series motherboard (intel chipset) and then either a Skylake or one of the new Kaby Lake processors should see you through for a good while. The downside to this approach is you'll also need new DDR4 memory so cost starts to mount up here. Along with the need for a new GPU eventually, you're almost looking at a whole new PC - though you can always sell your current PC on to a friend or family member if they're in the market.

If you're looking to save some money on the upgrade, you can still change to intel but go for the 'Devils Canyon' line of CPUs, such as the i7-4790k. They still command a fairly premium price as they have superb performance, and will still need a new motherboard, however it will use DDR3 memory, so you can reuse your current RAM.

If you're looking to stick with AMD as they're usually slightly cheaper than their Intel brethren, I cant provide any recommendations as I haven't used AMD for a long time and have not kept up to date with their CPU offerings.

*on optomised applications. personal experience. your experience may vary. not rated by ESRB for online play. terms and conditions may apply.

lol amd sux azzzzz.
 😂😂😂😂😂😂

img98.jpg

Thinking about relinquishing My Bread and toast Master Title back to detroyer of shit tech advice title :)

Alright mate dont cry looool m3d

Alright mate dont cry looool m3d
ahh the idiots defense for when their idiocy is called out "you mad bro" I'm afraid I am not even close to peeved, but I do take a certain joy from pointing out your public idiocy. Similar to when people laugh at others walking into glass doors.

But take note: I won't allow your idiotic comments cost somebody money needlessly. 

I think this sums it up quite nicely.
MjAxMi1lOGQ3ZWQ2MTMyYmUwNGRk.png

ahh the idiots defense for when their idiocy is called out "you mad bro" I'm afraid I am not even close to peeved, but I do take a certain joy from pointing out your public idiocy. Similar to when people laugh at others walking into glass doors.

But take note: I won't allow your idiotic comments cost somebody money needlessly. 

I think this sums it up quite nicely.
MjAxMi1lOGQ3ZWQ2MTMyYmUwNGRk.png
Like im just laughing at how ur trying to use some big fuck off words just to sound smart lol But u know. Go do some research yourself 

Like im just laughing at how ur trying to use some big fuck off words just to sound smart lol But u know. Go do some research yourself 
*snark .... Go do some research MWAHAHAHA that's kinda exactly the point I'm telling you off for LOL.
I'm not sure what "big fuck off words" your referring to ??? please feel free to point them out and I will happily explain the meaning.

64a2a54641742ca5b195cf7cf0378961fa8aec34eca411519a34ec61b22e1c12.jpg

but ....

10958768.jpg

I need to do research? kk mate
Please provide me proof that AMD cpu's always overheat then. Feel free to prove me wrong, as soon as you do, I will issue a public atonement and profess your correctness to the masses awaiting your decree's online.

Although before you go to much effort and overstrain yourself, I will mention I have a AMD cpu myself and run another 3 AMD in my household & and a dual intel processor server. 
My rig has a ~10C variance from idle to full load, with CPU parking disabled (fyi this is the most inefficient way to run the CPU in regards to power usage and heat production)  My biggest heat issue is RAM that can actually hit +60C (really need to add some better airflow to that part of the case) !!! so yeah my cpu never goes above 48C which you obviously know is quite chilly for a CPU under full load.  (temps may vary now due to central heating being turned on in the house due to winter)

I zestfully anticipate your rejoinder.

p.s. thought you might enjoy this book.
41VHm-7G96L.jpg

Please provide me proof that AMD cpu's always overheat then. Feel free to prove me wrong, as soon as you do, I will issue a public atonement and profess your correctness to the masses awaiting your decree's online.

Although before you go to much effort and overstrain yourself, I will mention I have a AMD cpu myself and run another 3 AMD in my household & and a dual intel processor server. 
My rig has a ~10C variance from idle to full load, with CPU parking disabled (fyi this is the most inefficient way to run the CPU in regards to power usage and heat production)  My biggest heat issue is RAM that can actually hit +60C (really need to add some better airflow to that part of the case) !!! so yeah my cpu never goes above 48C which you obviously know is quite chilly for a CPU under full load.  (temps may vary now due to central heating being turned on in the house due to winter)

I zestfully anticipate your rejoinder.

p.s. thought you might enjoy this book.

QcYPbNO.png

The number of zesty nVidia memes i had to soft through for this, and it doesnt even reference current hardware ffs.

Thanks for all the replies (even if some went off topic a tad ;) ). I don't really have the money atm to completely redo my desktop with a new cup, gpu and motherboard, so it is likely I would have to upgrade either an AMD cpu or an AMD gpu.

Any recommendations for either?

Back