What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

• The Official Roleplay UK 10 year pin badge has arrived, get one for yourself here!

SSD Troubles

ConnorTheGreatt

Los Santos Police
Los Santos Police
So recently I bought a Samsung 850 evo 500GB SSD. When I plugged it into the motherboard and powered up my PC, it was not recognised by the BIOS or Disk Management. I changed the sata port and tried again. Nothing. I changed the cable and again it was not recognised so i decided that the SSD must be faulty. 

I got a replacement sent out by amazon and the exact thing has happened again. I would be extremely surprised if both of these were faulty. Its probably something that I have done wrong and so I was wondering if I could get some help please. @CMO Marc Smith @lionel @Zeito

Specs:

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Intel Core i5 6600

16GB RAM

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z170-K

4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (MSI)

Have you tried this? Seems like a similar issue.

For ease:

"Unplug all other drives. Connect new SSD to sata port 1. If you have a windows disk or USB try to install windows onto it. Get to the disk partition section and format it. Cancel installation. Power down. Replug in old harddrive, boot into windows, check disk management again.

Oh and double check sata mode is set to AHCI in the bios." - Bezzell

Will give that a go. Cheers @Shepred. Sata mode is in AHCI I believe. 
you shouldnt need any partition structure to see it in the bios, if the bios cant see it, the windows installer likely wont see it either. Sata power + data cable are definitely firmly attached? 

you shouldnt need any partition structure to see it in the bios, if the bios cant see it, the windows installer likely wont see it either. Sata power + data cable are definitely firmly attached
Got to the partition stage and it doesn't recognise the SSD. Used the same power cable and data cable that my HDD was using. 

Got to the partition stage and it doesn't recognise the SSD. Used the same power cable and data cable that my HDD was using. 
very odd, unfortunately with an SSD you cant really feel if it's spinning like an hdd does. if you're using the same cables and port as your original drive and it's still not detected, i'd say RMA. Crazy odds to get 2 in a row, but it can happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok cheers for all the help @Zeito. Ill have another look tomorrow before returning it. Amazon are definitely going to think theres something fishy about me lol!

Ok cheers for all the help @Zeito. Ill have another look tomorrow before returning it. Amazon are definitely going to think theres something fishy about me lol!
If you have another computer you can try it in to be doubly sure, but if it's not being detected at all in the bios, it sounds like it's dead. I've used plenty of samsung 850 evos in computers and they should just be plug and play.

If you have another computer you can try it in to be doubly sure, but if it's not being detected at all in the bios, it sounds like it's dead. I've used plenty of samsung 850 evos in computers and they should just be plug and play.
Nah I'll just return it. Cheers though mate. Managed to squeeze £5 compensation out of Amazon hahaha. Hopefully 3rd times the charm

If it doesnt work, try take the battery out of the motherboard and insert it again to restore it, that way it might recognize it. (This is what I had to to with mine)

Back