What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

• The Official Roleplay UK 10 year pin badge has arrived, get one for yourself here!

Resolution

Vladic Ka

Angry Jock
Management
This post is mainly to get feedback on the current ways people use to "resolve" situations. 

Currently I am being passed messages daily on the way people try to resolve things on TS be it either text messages or recordings of people being extremely toxic to each other. Another thing I often see is the same players that have massive amounts of cash just comping for situations basically giving them a free ticket to break rules. 

Now there are a couple of ways I see us tackling this:

1. Have a resolution stage before a report goes up. This is another sub forum of member support where players can resolve situations with each other. It would be another heavily moderated section like report a player/dispute a ban section. Staff members can help guide the conversation to a resolution and if no resolution is found then it moves on to the report stage. The idea behind this is that when you break a rule in someones eyes its documented somewhere and then have full visibility, as a community, of any past transgressions whether it has been resolved or not. 

2. We go back to the old school way of if you see something you are not happy with you report it. Yes attempt to resolve if you want (we would still encourage it) but it would not be part of the report a player system. This also creates a record of any previous similar situations and potentially you could quote previous reports of the same player.

I just feel that too many players are getting salty towards each other as they are spending so much time "resolving" and not enough time roleplaying on the server. Obviously this is not set in stone and it may just stay exactly the way it is but any constructive feedback from you guys is greatly appreciated. Off topic/troll posts will be dealt with accordingly.

i think number 1 will be a good way to do. now we have a much larger staff team to monitor the forums and to watch out for toxic posts etc. its something that can be monitored quite easily. (will also give somthing else for the lower levels of staff to do to show their activity on the forums apart from just doing reports all the time)

I think personally a more constructive way to go with this is for a report to go up as normal before having to resolve on TS or in-game this works with peoples actions being brought to light and not for everything to be swept under the carpet. Meaning that their opinions are public and they can see back and forth between each other in the report a player threads. This whole "RESOLVE ON TS" thing disrupts side chat and has a become a meme within itself old fashioned it may be, but definitely better in terms of things not being hidden and people who have the money to use it to be able to get away with clear rule breaks for ever how long they have been part of the community for.

I agree with number 1. Having resolutions through the forums would be more pleasant, as sometimes trying to resolve things on TS with people can take so much time up and takes away from the RP. Like Saul said, it would also nice to see OOC cleared up with not seeing "GET ON TS" etc. 

I would also like to add that the police liaison system should be used when possible, equal and efficient.

Let me go into the second. I believe that "Have you tried resolving" part should be removed. I see way to often people using "if you had taken contact we could have resolved this :(" in their defense on player reports of them quite simple break a rule. Honestly, if someone RDM's you in the greenzone, or gives you absolute terrible roleplay, there should be no need to resolve it. It also seems as many have taken this resolve thing to serious and are afraid to report bad experience with others because "we already sorted this out on teamspeak, why report?". It looks like many people believe that the resolvepart is a way to say sorry to eachother without being given a punishment for a rulebreak. Might have reduced the reports, but have it helped in the long term removing rulebreakers?

So I'd say introduce the second

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love number 1. I hate people being salty because the lost. And when arguing for 10 mins you say. "what rule did I exactly broke" and there answer is none I just don't like it. And I'm just like really?

Maybe an idea would be that reports are put up irregardless of resolution (if the party is that aggrieved that a report is neccessary), and then once the report is up, the resolution attempts are made within a certain time limit (under staff supervision). I do think that reports should only be put up against a person if there is actual intention of rulebreaking, and not simple accidents.

This way, all infringements would be recorded so that repeat rule breakers who just offer comp are exposed. 

Positives of this:
-Repeat rulebreakers are highlighted, so that having money doesn't give you free reign to break rules

-Staff can mediate between parties so that there can be less hostile resolutions that hopefully reduce future tensions between community members

Negatives of this:
- Would be a lot of reports, probably very time consuming for staff who give up there free time

- obviously all rule breaks should be punished, but there may be issues where staff intervene because of obvious rule breaks. (despite resolution)

Just an idea though

My issue with the popular option (surprise surprise) is that it doesn't help to encourage people to follow the rules.

The rules are simple, not always black and white, (but hey that's why we bother with a staff team) and consistency with the rules is very important in order for faith in them or even respect for them to develop in individuals.

We create this system where we essentially take the member support room onto the forums, yes that is an improvement because it leaves a permanent record ready to be called upon next time the same issue occurs (obviously from an administration point of view this is a positive, the number of warnings given for exactly the same stuff is amazing) and bluffs can be called where before we'd chalk it up to naivety or a misunderstanding. But it's still combating a symptom of the problem and not the cause, the issue (where the rules are concerned) is that people break them.

As i've already said above, the rules are simple. There's no discussion with the vast majority of them, the most common ones are black and white no input needed. Yet they are still broken, they are still pushed to the limit of being broken, they are still used to "ruleplay" in order to gain an advantage.

When a rule is broken, this is a conscious decision. We all claim to know the rules but I am still yet to meet someone who has broken one and rushed off to solve the situation without being told "TS NAOW". The most common practice when a rule is broken is to argue. The argument starts in sidechat, develops into teamspeak and with this proposal moves to the forums. All this for a situation where a learned observer can point a finger and say "YOU, you broke a rule".

I'm all for forgiving mistakes, often i'm for forgiving conscious decisions to break a rule, we are all here to have fun after all, sometimes your own personal fun goes too far and causes suffering to others. In my entire time helping out in the staff team here i've banned somewhere between 20 and 30 people. The number of people who i've spoken to and taught to learn from the situation is a large multiple of that.

Which is why I suggest we streamline the system.

You think someone broke a rule? Put your report where your 3 hour liason room discussion is and REPORT it. A report does not equal a ban, a report with a rulebreak does not have to equal a ban. 

If someone makes a conscious decision to break a rule do they deserve a chance to wiggle out of a report? I don't think they offered the victim that courtesy, why should anyone spend their time and effort fighting for the rulebreaker? That's their job.

It should be OPTIONAL to go through the sub-forum. It will take longer and more than likely throw out the 24 hour window for reports (it would need to be extended).

People shouldn't be allowed to comment unless they are INVOVLED (NOT gang/faction leaders).

It is hard to do it based on hearsay as that would be null and void when it comes to looking back on the players history in that sub-forum.

We currently have the issue of 'too big to fail' where literally all some players care about is MONEY. They RDM'd that guy and they know? Sure here's 150k, more than enough because he's a hobo. Does the hobo complain? Fuck no he's pocketed more than his 5k backpack and peaches, got himself a new truck and a iron license! Does the RDM'r lose anything? Nah, just petty change and gains a 50k bounty. 'Oh he's taking me to fucking teamspeak, i'll just give him the comp at the end'... OR you have the otherside and it's 'fuck I died, i'ma call him to TS and HOPE he believes me when I say he broke a rule so he comps me..'

An issue would be peoples poor English writing skills and the way they convey their words. It is SOOOO much easier to mis-read/mis-interpret someone by reading what they have said than it is by listening to them, you can hear their attitude and gather the right interpretation. There would also need to be rules for staff; someone may be perfectly happy with a resolution of discrimination or whatever, staff SHOULDN'T be allowed to action anything in the forum no matter how bad the violation is.

Not going to lie reports would skyrocket if players HAD to report someone whilst/before resolving things...

In my opinion it would double the work staff need to do.

and people wont bother to resolve it in teamspeak.

Currently I am being passed messages daily on the way people try to resolve things on TS be it either text messages or recordings of people being extremely toxic to each other. Another thing I often see is the same players that have massive amounts of cash just comping for situations basically giving them a free ticket to break rules. 
I think this is the part of the problem. The system we have would work great, but people are constantly telling people to come to ts in side, and it makes the server look bad tbh. Other people "learn their lesson" every single time basically exploiting the system. Resolving is supposed to be for misunderstandings, mistakes etc. Not clear RDM which needs to be called to ts so they can 'resolve' it. Too many people just use it as a get out of jail free card. Make up some bs about how you're sorry.

Option 1 seems like a good idea, but if everytime someone's been called to ts, it gets put in a subforum, it would create loads of work. Especially for minor things that can be resolved with a quick chat. 

I think there needs to be an inbetween of option 1 and the current system, so mistakes/misunderstandings can be resolved, but with no chance of making excuses or "i'll comp you" everytime someone complains to avoid a report

Option 2.....

its been a problem for along time on this server and it has always been one of my pet hates if im being honest, you see it on a daily basis people throwing money around to avoid reports.

Even when you join teamspeak alot of peoples attitudes are shit they dont care about the rules and think their copious amounts of cash will save their arses and it generally does as people only want their gear back.

Im fully behind option 2 its about time the constant rule breakers get named and shamed on the forums so people can open their eyes and make them more aware of the repeat offenders that dodge reports due to a hefty bank account.

I think number 1 is the way to go with this. Mainly because as said talks in teamspeak can be clustered and or toxic. On the forums you have the help of the staff team to keep the topics under control much like everyone does within teamspeak. Now if this was to be implemented it would give all the lower level staff more to focus on and give us more to help with.

It would also allow players to do a post when they have finished roleplaying rather than spending a few hours (possibly) within teamspeak so they had more time to roleplay overall. I would see it being a good think for the community in the long run but like most things it would take time to get used to.

Number 1 is definitely a good one because ts can definitely be filled with toxicity and the forums can stop all the toxicity because it will be on record and no one dare be rude in presence of the admins.

So from the feedback in this thread I am looking at the following option:

Remove the necessity to resolve things on TS. If you still wish to resolve things on TS then thats fine. If not then put your report up. You then get the normal 24 hours to respond/resolve things in the report.

Ill leave this up for another 24 hours for any questions/feedback before making something official.

Back