Experience the Altis Life
keyboard_arrow_right
ALTIS LIFE 1
ALTIS LIFE 2
DAYZ UK
TEAMSPEAK

We are currently undergoing maintenance

The forums are available for use, yet please do not expect full functionality.

Ciaran

Altis Life UK Server Development - Feedback

Samuel Thompson
37 minutes ago, Psychos GeorgeHarris said:

Here is my views on the recent speed camera addition. Firstly the flash that the speed camera makes is ridiculous. It is causing people to crash. Secondly I was talking to a police officer and he said within the first 20 minuets of the server being opened, over 200 speed cameras had gone off. Not only does this show that people don't care about them, it also increases the workload on the police force. The next issue is that the speed camera instantly make you wanted by the police. In modern day society you get a fine and your not wanted. With the cameras making everyone wanted it will mean at this rate, everyone on the island is going to be wanted and rp is going to be reduced and rebels even if they are doing legal stuff but are just going a fraction over the limit could be pulled over. Finally the current speed cameras make everyone in the car wanted for speeding instead of just the driver, or who the owner of the car is. 

My proposal is that the speed cameras are removed, or the cameras give an automatic fine of lets say £1000 and it is given to only the driver/ owner of the vehicle. 

My issue with this, and I believe this will be the case, is that the average person will rack up many many thousands of fines and if some dick decides to find some guys car and make him loose his minuscule monetary amount, perhaps a per player basis, Warning, 2nd Warning, Wanted. May be more appropriate however, speed kills, we know this from real life as much as in game.

Handy

It's not the wanted system I hate, its the flash.

It causes me and the people in my car to have a small lag spike

already caused 3 crashes rip - speed wouldn't kill as much if it didn't blind you

LastNickLeft

I also believe that speed cameras are great idea, if they worked as intended. So far it only makes people go race (crash) on the road, trying to go as fast as possible. Now with everyone wanted on the server for speeding, police could technically scrap anyone's hatchback sport or SUV, as they certainly are already wanted for speeding (100km/h plus over the speed limit).

Instead of adding this to PNC, after 2 instances of speeding, said person would be directly fined while passing third camera. Either this or it should register to PNC only offenders driving in speed way over the limit, not making people to pop up on PNC for speeding 6km over the limit. I greatly appreciate time and effort that Dev team has put into it, you guys are doing amazing job, it just needs a bit of tweaking to be actually reasonable and applicable in real life ( read roleplay)

DELETER

If you go speeding let them pay the full fine instant. and the fine depend on the speeding. like going over 81 in police handbook i think it say something around 60,000£ let it be taken from bank account. and if it happen 3 times in a short period of 15 min then they will be addet to wanted list for driver license to revoke and car scrap :D

angellfall
3 hours ago, SGT LastNickLeft said:

I also believe that speed cameras are great idea, if they worked as intended. So far it only makes people go race (crash) on the road, trying to go as fast as possible. Now with everyone wanted on the server for speeding, police could technically scrap anyone's hatchback sport or SUV, as they certainly are already wanted for speeding (100km/h plus over the speed limit).

Instead of adding this to PNC, after 2 instances of speeding, said person would be directly fined while passing third camera. Either this or it should register to PNC only offenders driving in speed way over the limit, not making people to pop up on PNC for speeding 6km over the limit. I greatly appreciate time and effort that Dev team has put into it, you guys are doing amazing job, it just needs a bit of tweaking to be actually reasonable and applicable in real life ( read roleplay)

I dont see any issue with the system that it racks up tons of speeding warrants. However this raises more issues. As: Passangers getting wanted also, or the fact that people just lying their name at you. Those are an issues what should be cracked down somehow. And there is quite literally against scrapping every single hatchback sport on the island. If they speed well over 80, u scrap! But like deleter sair, m8by it should be automated system, where it tickets the driver right away. 

Ant Arni

In regards to speed cameras: When going past a speed camera and speeding, does the owner of the vehicle get a speeding fine or is it the person driving? For context, lets say I steal a hatchback sport and go past a camera at 150m/s, who would get the speeding ticket, me or the owner of the hatchback?

Simen
Just now, Ant Arni said:

In regards to speed cameras: When going past a speed camera and speeding, does the owner of the vehicle get a speeding fine or is it the person driving? For context, lets say I steal a hatchback sport and go past a camera at 150m/s, who would get the speeding ticket, me or the owner of the hatchback?

Everyone that is inside the car that is speeding gets wanted

CyberDOLT
1 minute ago, Ant Arni said:

I think it's everyone who is spotted in the car, since I was transporting a prisoner and drove fast. The prisoner got caught for speeding atleast 5-6 times before we arrived

CC Joseph Tadworth
10 hours ago, Psychos GeorgeHarris said:

My proposal is that the speed cameras are removed, or the cameras give an automatic fine of lets say £1000 and it is given to only the driver/ owner of the vehicle. 

Firstly, this adds literally no roleplay value, the reason they add you to the wanted list is to create interaction between civilians and police for smaller crimes such as speeding, so that police can do a regular traffic stop every now and again, you pay the fine and carry on...  this does not as you say: 

increases the workload on the police force

It actually increases roleplay for both us and civilians, the majority of the time you spend as a police officer is in a car driving around ANPRing people, it gives us more to do yes, but it gives us more roleplay to have as well, and there is no reason why every police officer has to pull you over for the speeding offences, if they're doing something else or don't want to then it's on the lowest priority anyways.

Another reason why it doesn't actually increase the workload for the majority of officers at all is because we have RTU (road traffic unit), who are there to deal with the majority of traffic offences, this just gives them another thing to work at.

Secondly I was talking to a police officer and he said within the first 20 minuets of the server being opened, over 200 speed cameras had gone off. Not only does this show that people don't care about them

Great news! That's 200 new roleplay opportunities created within 20 minutes, shows they're working perfectly. In regards to it showing that people don't care, maybe it does, maybe it doesn't, but from what I've seen people have been trying to trigger them for the past few hours, to see how they work mainly.

t the speed camera makes is ridiculous. It is causing people to crash.

The simple solution is to slow down, however, the flash lasts less than a second if you're travelling at a reasonable speed (<250km/h) at any of the locations there is no way you will crash because of it, however if you're driving at ridiculous Formula 1 speeds on a road with only two lanes, (>250km/h) then you should expect to crash, you're going too fast to even react to a little flash then, more a question of whether the driver is sensible enough to slow down even a little bit, or whether they want to carry on driving like an absolute idiot.

Speed Kills, Not Cameras.

11 hours ago, Psychos GeorgeHarris said:

Finally the current speed cameras make everyone in the car wanted for speeding instead of just the driver, or who the owner of the car is. 

This issue will be fixed soon ( @Ciaran

Simen
2 hours ago, Ant Arni said:

Can't seem to remove or type outside this qoute box,  so making everyone aware that this is me Simen writing and not ant arni..

@SI Joseph TadworthTadworth

First, I'm very glad to see that automatic speeding tickets won't get added. 

However I would like to argue over the flash part, 1. Not only is it extremely unrealistic as a speeding camera in real life wouldn't have a flash that actually makes people crash as that would raise quite a big number of health and safety questions.

2. But as @H A N D Y has said some people start lagging because of it.

Now don't get me wrong I do love the speeding cameras and it adding to the wanted list (it's always fun to see the officers reaction to how much I'm wanted for) I'm not that much of a fan for the flash

-Simen Comunicato

John Woll

I don't have any issue with the speed camera's, I began a RTU patrol today where I had to quickly go from Kavala to Athira going around 225+km/h the entire way and got flashed each time I passed a camera, it doesn't cause much inconvenience nor lag for me staying at a solid 40-60FPS on High / Standard settings. The flash is not distracting or blinding, it's just a short white flash (Having it be a bit shorter would be preferable or only the sides of your screen turning white instead of what appears to be the entire screen.)

I have also encountered many rebels with multiple counts of speeding over 80 km/h, loads of RP opportunities for police to have with the civilians and rebels. Only thing that needs fixing is that all the passangers get added for speeding too but the Dev's are already working on fixing that. Only other problem I have had is that sometimes you won't get flashed eventhough you're speeding.

TL;DR Love it, realistic and gives many RP opportunities that can be taken by rebels to talk themselves out of a ticket... Doesn't cause lag for me and I run Arma 3 on a potato.

B91tzId.png

Yes that is a 2nd gen I-7, don't even question it.

DCC LONG BEARD

This may have been suggested already, I've not read through every comment.

Love the speed camera idea but....

Could do with having the speed % increased so it's not catching people going just a little over the speed limit. I'd say its best use would be to catch those who go ridiculously fast. So example, on the 110kph road, anything over 200kph would trigger it.   That way when the cops do see someone with a speeding fine, they know it's been someone going nuts. 

I appreciate that it's designed to add realism, but it's a bit too realistic for a game ;)

Even myself who generally drives safely managed to rack up a shed load of tickets in a 20 min careful drive.

CC Joseph Tadworth
2 hours ago, INS LONG BEARD said:

Could do with having the speed % increased so it's not catching people going just a little over the speed limit. I'd say its best use would be to catch those who go ridiculously fast. So example, on the 110kph road, anything over 200kph would trigger it.   That way when the cops do see someone with a speeding fine, they know it's been someone going nuts. 

The cameras are currently set to the following (Speed Limit + 10% + 1), therefore in Kavala it's 56km/h and elsewhere it's 122km/h, plenty of room for adjustment.

Busterguy

Can't you just make it so people get automaticly finied when they speed insted of being added to the wanted list.

Slawek Orion
16 minutes ago, Busterguy said:

Can't you just make it so people get automaticly finied when they speed insted of being added to the wanted list.

That would just remove whole rp, there is no chance to rp with a script that just gives you a fine can you?

Busterguy
1 minute ago, Slawek UNMC said:

That would just remove whole rp, there is no chance to rp with a script that just gives you a fine can you?

But why should you be made wanted for a fine? Realisticly you just get the fine sent to you in the post. Then you only get made wanted if you dont pay it.

Gurlanin
Just now, Busterguy said:

But why should you be made wanted for a fine? Realisticly you just get the fine sent to you in the post. Then you only get made wanted if you dont pay it.

Realistically you could fight the fine in court, but we don't have a court system ...

Ciaran
35 minutes ago, Fallen said:

Also that it doesn't trigger for blufor

It will always trigger unless the vehicle has its lights on.

Michael Fletcher
17 hours ago, Busterguy said:

Tbh, this seems like a way to screw over new players, and does not allow for any wiggle room, what if someone is rushing their mate to the hospital? Just taking money is a bad idea, it adds no RP whatsoever and just acts as a money drain. You'll start having people driving offroad or flying just to avoid the fine.

Also, the whole speedcam system just adds more avenues for cops to get powergamey. You're wanted m8, pull over. Ooh what's that on your back, MXM? Confiscated!

TomL2FC

I really like the idea of the speed cameras, however I think it would be cool if the flash was changed for a bleep sound, kinda like the ANPR sound. 

Newstory

So, what I've read so far, my opinion on this subject. First of all, about the flash itself. I indeed think, that it should be changed. The slow transition, coming from transparent to half-solid and back. It's not bad idea, but if I was to change something about it, it would be probably, that I would go from full solid to transparent, just like the "old" cameras, when you got photographed in one moment, everything went white and it took another moment for your eyes to adapt again. A.K.A flashbang effect - full white to transparent white. It would also reduce the "duration" of the flash almost by half, which would certainly make some people happier. And also maybe add some sound, like when you photograph someone with your phone.

Second of all, as it was said, the wanted system I believe is indeed not optimal. I do not wish to have full truck of weed or something and get caught by the police, because I'm wanted for driving over the speed limit. Everyone on the server is probably wanted by now, or most of the players will be in the nearest future. As already said, I believe that fine would be a solution to this. It's up to you, whether and how to implement it, but my idea would be probably something about you get 3 fines and the 4th (3rd) one you become wanted. Maybe also add some timer, for example if someone has not paid the fine for certain amount of time, or instead of adding a timer, if someone logs out without paying the fine, he will become wanted, or something like that. I'm not sure if it would change much, but at least I would have a chance to avoid being wanted, else then driving off road. Or maybe keep it up, but at least make the option to pay the fine at the police station, and that way, you could get rid of the "wanted" status.

Third of all, I would like to see, that it's not the driver, neither the crew of the vehicle, that is getting the "wanted" status, however the player, that is written as an owner of the vehicle, as it adds to the RP value, I believe, as you can talk yourself out, rather then cops catch you and your like: Yeah, well, you know, I just like it fast. Or maybe getting the wanted status, if you have no mask and if you have the mask, then the wanted status would come on a head of the player, whos the car is. That would make the gameplay a little bit deeper and there would be an actual reason to wear masks, other then you cannot see the names, that you should pretend you don't see anyway. Maybe also make masks or anything that covers your face illegal?... Just bunch of random ideas.

18 minutes ago, Nosey said:

When I, as a medic, drive to an emergency with sirens on etc. I speed so I can be there as fast as possible. Because of this we get 'flashed' as well by the speed cameras. I did ask an police officer if this meant that we had to expect tickets in our mail but he said he couldn't find anything on our name. However the fact that we get flashed all the time is a bit annoying! I don't know if it's possible or if it should be changed but I thought I'd share my thoughts on it as well.

Guess you already read it, just to make sure, I'll add it here as a suggestion for a change.

As already said, good job though, I like the new feature, it just needs some small tuning and I think everyone'll be happy.

CC Joseph Tadworth
15 hours ago, Michael Fletcher said:

Tbh, this seems like a way to crew over new players, and does not allow for any wiggle room, what if someone is rushing their mate to the hospital? Just taking money is a bad idea, it adds no RP whatsoever and just acts as a money drain. You'll start having people driving offroad or flying just to avoid the fine.

Firstly, it allows plenty of wriggle room the formula for it (at the moment) is (Speed Limit * 1.10) + 1. Therefore on the main road you get around 12km/h of wiggle room.

Secondly, I don't know if you've used the system yet, but it doesn't just take money from your bank, no idea where you've got that from tbh. It adds RP because you have to go and speak to a police officer and therefore the situation of: "what if someone is rushing their mate to the hospital?" would be a valid excuse not to get a fine, police officers are allowed to use discretion on speeding, it's not a by the book kind of thing.

Driving offroad will not stop you from getting the fine, the cameras are set up in a way where they will fine you for being offroad the same as being on the road, if people want to fly everywhere that's fine, the majority of people do just fly now anyways, they have the money so why not?

Also, the whole speedcam system just adds more avenues for cops to get powergamey. You're wanted m8, pull over. Ooh what's that on your back, MXM? Confiscated!

Isn't that the police's job? Take illegal items (such as firearms) from people and protect the public by doing so? The scenario you give presents no way in which the officer has powergamed, it just represents how rebels seem to be incapable of putting their guns in their cars. People say that the police have got more strict in that regard, nope the training has always been the same, illegal firearm's are always taken zero tolerance, it's just that back in the day the old gangs used to put their guns in their cars when speaking to us, and the police would as well, it was a gesture of respect that seems to have been lost, and it's not the police who've caused that.

SI Wolfy

You'll start having people driving offroad or flying just to avoid them.

I don't exactly get the issue with driving at the normal speed limit, there's nothing so dire or worth complaining about. Here your basically suggesting removing something that COULD lead to interesting RP. You can't just say it would remove RP by making it an automated process, however you could in place of a system like that make it so the perpetrator would have to go to a police station and pay it off there.

Michael Fletcher
21 minutes ago, DSGT Wolfy said:

I don't exactly get the issue with driving at the normal speed limit, there's nothing so dire or worth complaining about. Here your basically suggesting removing something that COULD lead to interesting RP. You can't just say it would remove RP by making it an automated process, however you could in place of a system like that make it so the perpetrator would have to go to a police station and pay it off there.

I'm saying that automating it to a fine would be bad.

Also, driving with the limit would not be an issue IF:

-the speedcam outside Kavala didn't enforce a 50km/h limit on a highway

-the 0-20 over limit wasn't an automatic wanted status

Give those two, that makes it slightly annoying having to chase cops up about the tickets. Now I get it provides RP scenarios, and I have got away with speeding on 3 different occasions and subsequently been pardoned due to a good story, but it makes it tiresome. I expect it will get old fast, especially for the police.