What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

• The Official Roleplay UK 10 year pin badge has arrived, get one for yourself here 5 left!

My computer turns on but my mouse, keyboard and screen do nothing..

Jasonnn

ᴅᴇᴘᴜᴛʏ ᴅɪʀᴇᴄᴛᴏʀ ɢᴇɴᴇʀᴀʟ ᴏꜰ ɴᴄᴀ
Investor
Lifetime Donator
Last night I turned my computer off and everything was working fine with no issues. I just turned it on and it has no display and the mouse and keyboard don't work. I can still hear sound on my headset. I've cleaned the CPU and ram. Also the screen works perfectly. I have taken out everything and put it back together again. Even tried changing the cables and have also removed the battery from the motherboard and yet still does not work. Can anyone tell me what's up?

Last night I turned my computer off and everything was working fine with no issues. I just turned it on and it has no display and the mouse and keyboard don't work. I can still hear sound on my headset. I've cleaned the CPU and ram. Also the screen works perfectly. I have taken out everything and put it back together again. Even tried changing the cables and have also removed the battery from the motherboard and yet still does not work. Can anyone tell me what's up?
when you say you can hear sound - what sound?

Strip it down to the bare minimum. 1 stick of ram, only the boot HDD, remove GPU and use on-board gfx. does it post? If the on-board speaker is connected you should get a single BEEP for a successful post from the mobo and visually should see the results.

If it boots up or at least boots to the BIOS, shut it down add another ram stick, repeat.

Repeat process until all hardware is fitted or you discover a faulting piece of equipment.

If it doesnt work from the start with minimal hardware there's a chance it's the mobo or CPU itself. CPU or RAM problems usually give you a POST beep code, so plug in that on-board speaker if you can.

If the sound you're talking about is windows starting up etc, it could be your graphics card mate. Try taking it out and using your motherboards in built one if it has one. you'll know if it's plus or minus a VGA / DVI connector. 

Turns out the beep is my headset turning on... Once my dad has got back from going out I'll get him to take a look and will try out your suggestions. This may be a dumb question but if it's the motherboard or graphics card will I have to redownload everything if I buy a new one?

please tell me if it's a dumb question 

Jason

You dont have to redownload everything I think, but it depends on your current OS. I think on Windows 10, you will have no problem inserting a new motherboard/gpu, as the OS will automatically adjust to the new component, however I do think its highly recommended to start fresh when you get new parts. Eventually wipe your disk(s), and start a new clean windows with new drivers that fits your motherboard/gpu. However, that also depends on what components you buy,  the win 10 can read, download and adjust to the new parts if the drivers are on the win 10 system. If you dont wipe, you need perhaps to find the right drivers for you gpu generation ( as there are nvidia cards with 900's series and 10's series). I also think if you have win 7, the best is perhaps to start completly fresh. Then you will have no problem just finding the right drivers that you need and you start fresh.

You are free to choose what you are going to do, I just suggested what I did. I dont know if im entirely right with the things said above, but  I have been in the same situation where I have renewed my parts within my PC, but unfortunatly I had windows 7, which lead to trouble for me. Formating a PC isnt the hardest task, but downloading could lead to trouble for many due to poor upload/download and if you have things/pictures/documents that are valueable on your disk, you are not very interested in formatting it. However, there are things that could be done to create/store backups 😀

Last edited by a moderator:
On the day it was working i was messing with some of my Video settings in Arma 3. I have no way of seeing if my screen works if i take my graphics card out as i don't have any built in ports as i built the computer. I've been snooping around the internet and it may be a problem with my power supply as the 4 pin to 8 pin may have blew. Ill take a look when i get home. 

It is most likely your PSU. The pins that are for your graphics card have most likely  blew

when you say you can hear sound - what sound?

Strip it down to the bare minimum. 1 stick of ram, only the boot HDD, remove GPU and use on-board gfx. does it post? If the on-board speaker is connected you should get a single BEEP for a successful post from the mobo and visually should see the results.

If it boots up or at least boots to the BIOS, shut it down add another ram stick, repeat.

Repeat process until all hardware is fitted or you discover a faulting piece of equipment.

If it doesnt work from the start with minimal hardware there's a chance it's the mobo or CPU itself. CPU or RAM problems usually give you a POST beep code, so plug in that on-board speaker if you can.
@Jason Detiri Have you tried the advice given by zeito yet ?

I would but i don't have on board GFX... 
What mobo do you have? Almost every single one has on board gfx... Are you sure? maybe post a picture of the AO on the back? Or give us a link to the main components, mobo cpu GPU etc

What mobo do you have? Almost every single one has on board gfx... Are you sure? maybe post a picture of the AO on the back?
I shall let you know when I get home. I built this one so I may be covering it with something. 

Thanks 

I shall let you know when I get home. I built this one so I may be covering it with something. 

Thanks 
No problems man, I just know how frustrating having a broken PC is so I always want to help.

Have you tried the advice given by zeito yet ?
offers most comprehensive and pragmatic advice - only post not tried. This sounds like regular tech support to me!

I would but i don't have on board GFX... 
Cheers for the update, when you provide a response it gives us something to work with ;) 

What mobo do you have? Almost every single one has on board gfx... Are you sure? maybe post a picture of the AO on the back? Or give us a link to the main components, mobo cpu GPU etc
As far as I am aware all X99 boards come with no on board ... please correct me if wrong , but many gaming boards don't bother with the chipset as it rarely if ever gets used.

offers most comprehensive and pragmatic advice - only post not tried. This sounds like regular tech support to me!
heheh. too true :) Don't feel bad man.

Cheers for the update, when you provide a response it gives us something to work with ;) 

As far as I am aware all X99 boards come with no on board ... please correct me if wrong , but many gaming boards don't bother with the chipset as it rarely if ever gets used.

heheh. too true :) Don't feel bad man.
Has he stated it's an x99 board? That must have slipped past me. Though my board is 'gaming orientated' and still comes with hdmi and dvi. Z chipset though.

Need to reinforce the whole 'please post your specs with the issue' thing. 

Back