What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

• The Official Roleplay UK 10 year pin badge has arrived, get one for yourself here Less than 10 left!

Recommended Graphics Card

Ryaan

So my graphics card is getting old now and i'm looking to get a new one. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I have a Budget of £1000 so i would like a pretty beefy one if anyone could suggest some.

Thanks

RyaanDunne 

at that price range a 1080Ti.

What you got now anyway that is prompting you to want to upgrade ?

at that price range a 1080Ti.

What you got now anyway that is prompting you to want to upgrade ?
Did you actually just recommend an nvidia card? Am I in the twilight zone? Has my exhaust started leaking and i'm actually hallucinating on the driveway? :D

So my graphics card is getting old now and i'm looking to get a new one. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I have a Budget of £1000 so i would like a pretty beefy one if anyone could suggest some.

Thanks

RyaanDunne 
What sort of monitor etc are you using? You might find for that budget you could snag a very reasonable gfx card + a 1080@144hz monitor, or a good gfx card and a 2560x1440p@60hz monitor. Giving you both a framerate, graphical quality, and resolution boost.

If you're already using a good screen and it supports G-Sync - get nvidia. If it supports FreeSync - go for AMD. If it's nothing special, consider going for a screen+gpu upgrade.

Impo there's no point in sinking 1000 quid into a 1080ti if you're gaming at 1080@60hz. I paid out big time on my 980ti, didnt get a quality screen to match the power and the card is really not being used to its potential, i could have saved myself a few hundred quid and got the regular 980 instead.

I've got a 970 but one of the fan is broken on it so I need a new one.
when did you get it? It might still be under warranty - 3 years is pretty norm on electronics. Failing that, you could chance your arm on contacting the manufacturer to see if they'll replace it at all, either by email or social media. Failing that - look at a new card. Also make sure you read my post above :)

I've got a 970 but one of the fan is broken on it so I need a new one.
Oh wow just replace the fan and wait a while !!!

Did you actually just recommend an nvidia card? Am I in the twilight zone? Has my exhaust started leaking and i'm actually hallucinating on the driveway? :D
Heheheh, sure :) AMD has nothing on that scale or price range, the 1080Ti is a good card. :)

What sort of monitor etc are you using? You might find for that budget you could snag a very reasonable gfx card + a 1080@144hz monitor, or a good gfx card and a 2560x1440p@60hz monitor. Giving you both a framerate, graphical quality, and resolution boost.

If you're already using a good screen and it supports G-Sync - get nvidia. If it supports FreeSync - go for AMD. If it's nothing special, consider going for a screen+gpu upgrade.

Impo there's no point in sinking 1000 quid into a 1080ti if you're gaming at 1080@60hz. I paid out big time on my 980ti, didnt get a quality screen to match the power and the card is really not being used to its potential, i could have saved myself a few hundred quid and got the regular 980 instead.
Nothing wrong with gaming at 1080p at 60fps even on a 1080, it at least means your going to get 3-7 years of life out of the card.
If your up for 4k 144hz gaming your going to need to be upgrading year on year.

The G-sync - Freesync item I fully agree with though as it does bring good benefits, but if your going to go with freesync (my personal choice) Wait for Vega to release, so either Nvidia release a new card or you have something better and cheaper.

when did you get it? It might still be under warranty - 3 years is pretty norm on electronics. Failing that, you could chance your arm on contacting the manufacturer to see if they'll replace it at all, either by email or social media. Failing that - look at a new card. Also make sure you read my post above :)
Looking into it, could be an easy replacement under warranty as a quick google brings up alot of results for this issue.

Oh wow just replace the fan and wait a while !!!

Heheheh, sure :) AMD has nothing on that scale or price range, the 1080Ti is a good card. :)

Nothing wrong with gaming at 1080p at 60fps even on a 1080, it at least means your going to get 3-7 years of life out of the card.
If your up for 4k 144hz gaming your going to need to be upgrading year on year.

The G-sync - Freesync item I fully agree with though as it does bring good benefits, but if your going to go with freesync (my personal choice) Wait for Vega to release, so either Nvidia release a new card or you have something better and cheaper.
I'd agree here - the 970 is by no means outdated and as I mentioned before @SGT RyaanDunne you might find its still under warranty or might be replaced by the manufacturer.

There is definitely nothing wrong with 1080@60 - I still game at this but i'm aiming for a 1440p@60 screen in the future. With a 1080 yeah i'd say 1060:60 is fine - but a 1080ti would be arguably wasted on that resolution - you'll get just as much lifetime from the 1080 and save a few £££.

If you're aiming for 4k@60 or 4k@144(mega bucks there) then yeah there'll definitely be a bigger upgrade cycle. Considering current prices of TRUE 4k screens at 60hz, or higher (most 4k is at 30hz. 30hz = 30fps which sucks) this is pretty limited to the richest of us.

I'd like for free/gsync to be standardized between the Big Two, it brings some nice benefits to resolution and tearing reduction, though i'd still consider it a bit of a gimmick - it's not a life or death feature for sure.

I'd agree here - the 970 is by no means outdated and as I mentioned before @SGT RyaanDunne you might find its still under warranty or might be replaced by the manufacturer.

There is definitely nothing wrong with 1080@60 - I still game at this but i'm aiming for a 1440p@60 screen in the future. With a 1080 yeah i'd say 1060:60 is fine - but a 1080ti would be arguably wasted on that resolution - you'll get just as much lifetime from the 1080 and save a few £££.

If you're aiming for 4k@60 or 4k@144(mega bucks there) then yeah there'll definitely be a bigger upgrade cycle. Considering current prices of TRUE 4k screens at 60hz, or higher (most 4k is at 30hz. 30hz = 30fps which sucks) this is pretty limited to the richest of us.

I'd like for free/gsync to be standardized between the Big Two, it brings some nice benefits to resolution and tearing reduction, though i'd still consider it a bit of a gimmick - it's not a life or death feature for sure.
rather than the 1060 I would recommend the RX580 (refreshed480) then ;) nice and cheap and a little faster too, plus it comes with 8GB of ram (will be usefull in 2 years time)

The only way Gsync/FreeSync will be standardised is if Nvidia go open source, although they are starting to make headway in this regard as more and more developers are heading over to AMD tech, I doubt very much they are going to open G-sync. They charge way to much for the licensing imo and this drives monitor prices up too much, thats why I like the AMD solution, get it all done on the card and the monitor just needs to the support the variable rate which is easy and cheap for hardware manafacturer's.

I do tend to buy hardware for long life span though, I don't expect to renew my 480 for another 4 years at least (hence I went for the 8GB ver). Although I really really want a Vega/Ryzen build :D :D

1070 best GPU for the money and performance.. You're asking a question like this i the beginning of 2017.. we have no idea what other insane cards might come out, faster and cheaper.. but if its a must to get one just get a 1060 for now.. or even a 1050ti... dont spend too much money its still early theres a whole lot of Gpus coming out this year. 

if it is just the fan that is gone, you can ALMOST CERTAINLY replace the fan....

googling 970 graphics card fan replacement throws up a lot of hits and guides; id look at this before forking out ££££

Back