What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

• The Official Roleplay UK 10 year pin badge has arrived, get one for yourself here Less than 10 left!

How do you even deal with this...

Andrew Schofield

Hey RPUK,

I'm fairly new. Only been here a few days. I've tried other Altis Life servers for a short while but too many players were obnoxious, mentally prepubescent, and seemed to just abuse whatever meta they could in order to make money, which in my opinion really diminishes the roleplay. 

For the most part it's been different here, from what I've experienced so far. For my first day I simply made my character, decided on a backstory, and explored Kavala, before carrying out a few delivery missions. It was genuinely enjoyable, and made me just enough money to find a proper job. 

I decided on Iron Mining. I've never gone down this route before and I was looking forward to starting. I read a few guides, and learned about what I'd need to get going. I joined early this morning, early and ready to go. I travelled up and down Altis doing delivery missions for a while in order to buy my first truck. It wasn't much, but it was the start of something for my character, and I couldn't wait to start making a good living for myself. 

I started up the engine, opened my Steam browser and found a relaxing radio station to listen to, and drove to the Iron processor. I used what little money I had left to buy a processing license, and began the drive North to the Iron Mine. It was dark, but there was something about that drive that made me so relaxed. The sound of the radio playing softly.. The soft orange glow of the dashboard lights.. The open road as my only company.. It was genuinely peaceful. Kinda rare for me. Hadn't experienced this in a game for a while. 

I got to the mine by sunrise, and began the process of mining ore. Although repetitive, there was a certain feeling of achievement seeing my truck full like that. I know it's not much to any of you, but to me that's the most I've had so far on Altis Life. 

The truck engine hummed to life, and I got back on the road, heading back to the Iron processor. It went without a hitch. After all, the server was pretty quiet. Hadn't seen anyone except in the form of passing headlights in the distance. With that in mind I began the drive towards my final stop: The Metal trader. I had no idea just how much this stuff was worth but I was excited anyway. I was nearly there!

As I pulled up I noticed a truck outside. Huh. Normally not odd, but it was parked at an angle towards the road, not in the compound itself, like the driver had abandoned it halfway through pulling out.

I parked anyway. It was too late to delay and I've been having ping issues lately and getting random disconnects so the last thing I want was to lose everything because the server gets restarted and my truck gets wiped. I got out, and unholstered my pistol, just in case. I'd check the area in case of ambush. 

I check behind the first building, nothing. I check the second, a small-concrete outhouse, nothing. I go to check the third, and I'm greeted a squeaky teenage voice blasting direct chat with:

"HANDS UP HANDS UP MAN NOW HANDS UP DONT WANT TO KILL HANDS UP!"

I panic, and through voice chat blurt out that I'll comply. He's talks over me in his oddly broken English. 

"GO HANDS UP LAST CHANCE NOW"

I realize he's ignoring anything I say so there's no way I'm going to get some roleplay out of this, so I turn and run instead of shooting him. 

A three-round-burst of 5.56 to my back and I'm on the floor. Bleeding out. Two sets of footsteps come over to my body. Two players, both in full military gear. Body armour, assault rifle, helmet, and balaclava, even in this desert heat. They rifle around in my inventory for a grand total of about five seconds, before one of them gives me a:

"WE DONE HERE" 

Before executing me with my own pistol. I'm greeted by the respawn screen.

Everything I've just spent the last five hours doing is gone. I've now got hardly any money, and absolutely zero motivation.

How do you guys deal with that kind of thing? Hours and hours of gameplay lost to some obnoxious player who's absolutely gagging for an excuse to shoot people, regardless of how new or inexperienced they are? 

Apologies for the rant. I just needed to get this off my chest.

I really want to enjoy this server, as I've heard great things, but right now my motivation is at an all-time low. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It was dark, but there was something about that drive that made me so relaxed. The sound of the radio playing softly.. The soft orange glow of the dashboard lights.. The open road as my only company.. It was genuinely peaceful

Calm the fuck down Charles Dickens.

Firstly, welcome to RPUK and I'm sorry to hear that you've had a negative experience.

Secondly, Great descriptive writing.

"HANDS UP HANDS UP MAN NOW HANDS UP DONT WANT TO KILL HANDS UP!"

I panic, and through voice chat blurt out that I'll comply. He's talks over me in his oddly broken English. 

"GO HANDS UP LAST CHANCE NOW"

Now to the point at hand, from what you describe sounds like below average RP. The whole hands up and not listening to you, BUT in their defence, if you ran instead of putting your hands up they had somewhat grounds to shoot you. It also sounds as if they gave you enough time to comply, you just chose to run it as supposed to giving up.

Metal exports is where very new rebel with a TRG hits to get some easy cash from hobos. In my opinion, rather than talking to him with your gun out, you should have actually put your hands up and try to RP. Now had THAT gone wrong then something could have been done but as it stands other than having a shitty initiation not much was done wrong...

Bare in mind, I'm not staff, just an experienced player and this is my opinion.

But don't let that experience put you off, RPUK has much more to offer and many other roleplay scenarios await you. Go forth into RPUK and enjoy your stay.

Unfortunately, I have noticed a drop in roleplay in this community but there are still loads of people out there who make roleplay a priority. The reality of it is, if you're doing any kind of money run then you need to be prepared with either a gun or a strong tongue to get you out of hostile situations. 

I hope that members of larger gangs won't go after newer players in small trucks and civilian clothing, and when they do carry out a robbery they do it with a high level of RP. The more you play, the more you will be aware of suspicious situations and learn to avoid them.

My advice to you:

Do a money run that doesn't end at the altis metal exports, at least until you get some money in your bank. You'll make a little less but it'll be safer. Salt and oil are two excellent runs for this. If you do decide to continue with iron, you can ask the police to protect you at the altis metal exports and they often will.

Hmm, obviously without a video we cannot make an actual judgement on this to see if it is below standard (if you did have a video it would be best to ask a staff member directly on teamspeak and not post it here on the forums, unless it's a report!) 

Apologies for your seemingly poor encounter. It happens, they sound like 'rebels' that have just brought their rebel license and want to get the easiest targets; fresh hobos doing their first metal run! There isn't an awful lot of pride in robbing new players, however it happens and is all part of the game.

What I would suggest is doing a different kind of run, like possibly frog legs (if they're even in the game still) or maybe glass; the least popular runs are the safest. Another suggestion is to register the fact there's already a seemingly abandoned vehicle at the trader. Alarm bells should be ringing and you should be scouting the area from a distance, possibly calling the police to check it out. I wouldn't have unholstered my pistol and scouting the compound as you can run faster with it holstered, giving you more chance to get behind cover and shooting back, if needed.

I agree the RP standards are much higher here than on many other servers, however it does still leave something to be desired at times.... but not every time.

For example I was robbed at Salt trader last week, and through RP we came to the amicable solution of me paying a bit of protection money from my profits and the two of us have since hooked up a couple times to pull off some gallery heists together.  A one sided situation turned into a profitable partnership when paths cross.

If you hadn't run, you may have been able to talk it through, however I understand they may not have been open to it through RP which can be a bit poor.  When you ran you gave them the opportunity to justifiably shoot you, however if you put your hands up and attempted an RP solution and they shot you anyway then that would be poor quality RP and reportable.

All in all these situations are very nuanced and hard to judge on a case by case basis without video, however there are many rebels and gangs on the island that won't skin you alive, will give solid RP and have a sensible discussion with you that still leaves you rewarded for your efforts.  You may have just run into some of the shittier ones that don't appreciate that a healthy community depends upon mutual respect and enjoyment of the game.... even if that means they have to give up some of what they think they deserve because they have the numbers and bigger guns.

Don't be put off, be chatty with people, be friendly.... and the friendly members of the community will respond in kind.  The greedier ones with no consideration for others always come unstuck in the end.

This community above all overs shines for the way it is strictly moderated and the people that find themselves becoming regulars, the local punters shall we say. Now you can imagine that every place has it's bad people and unfortunately you are going to come across them and there is nothing we can do about that apart from eventually catch them red-handed or find a player looking out for the communities best interests to report them and see to it that their standards are reviewed.

For a lone wolf such as yourself it's very hard to make money due to rebels and criminals looking to rob a man for his hard earned money but that's something you've got to look out for and either strategically plan against or join a gang and be willing to fight back when the issue arises. Perhaps try a few other runs and see what suits you, some areas of the island are far less populated and more relaxed for someone to enjoy. Where as others are heaving with populus and traffic. If you do eventually find that making money is something you are constantly being targeted while doing perhaps to try to earn money for your RP by either applying for the Altis Police or NHS and earning money via government paychecks and of course reviving people on top of that paycheck as a medic.

Thank you all for the responses. 

I think I'll just have to be more cautious in future. Alarm bells did go off when I saw that truck but I was reckless. 

I'll just have to do some delivery missions for a while to earn enough for a different processing license. 

10/10 description. You definitely got an A* in English, damn.

Back