What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

• The Official Roleplay UK 10 year pin badge has arrived, get one for yourself here Less than 10 left!

Random problem - Can't view Google owned sites until I reset router!

FriendlyFireGuy

Lifetime Donator
Lifetime Donator
As per title, it drives me mad - no Google, youtube, drive, gmail, nothing, reset and it's fine for a few days - I'm using a BT smarthub and I'm not calling BT, it'll make me suicidal...

Any ideas? 

Please don't suggest using Bing, when was the last time anyone 'Bing'd it'?!?!

As a test, try using other devices when the issue occurs. Does this only affect your main PC or ALL devices connected to the router?

If @Imstyle's solution doesn't work, my only other suggestion would be to do a full (online) reset of the Wi-Fi. 

ce975695a6a74e89a891abc59c13bbcc.png

In case you are not aware, you can access this control panel by going to bthomehub.home (As a URL)

if none of the devices, wired or wireless can access anything google related it sounds like either a DNS issue on the router or a major problem at google's end which would be more widely reported.

I'm assuming you've tried restarting the router/connection? @FriendlyFireGuy

if none of the devices, wired or wireless can access anything google related it sounds like either a DNS issue on the router or a major problem at google's end which would be more widely reported.

I'm assuming you've tried restarting the router/connection? @FriendlyFireGuy
Just did it again, it said something along the lines of a DNS error - so you're right, restarted router and it's fine again

Any ideas? (Next time I'll get the actual message)

Thanks!

Just did it again, it said something along the lines of a DNS error - so you're right, restarted router and it's fine again

Any ideas? (Next time I'll get the actual message)

Thanks!
If you can change the pre-set DNS setting sin the router that get assigned to your lan, set them to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 which are google's DNS server. You probably cant do that on the home-hub though, i hate those terrible routers.

You could try another router if you have one, or see if setting the DNS servers on the client fixes it, i.e. on your pc set your TCP/IP setting DNS servers to the above, rather than auto-assign: 4 Images below.

If that fixes the issue on that 1 client you set it for, then you can safely assume it's a DNS issue and BT's predefined DNS servers are either unable or unwilling to handle the request. Also, to confirm DNS, you can try this:

if you ping google.co.uk and get the IP for it, i.e. for me it's 216.58.206.78, going to http://216.58.206.78 will take you to the google page, as it wont require a DNS lookup to convert the google.com name into an address. If that still doesnt work, then presumably BT are dropping your request to google which is more problematic.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can change the pre-set DNS setting sin the router that get assigned to your lan, set them to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 which are google's DNS server. You probably cant do that on the home-hub though, i hate those terrible routers.

You could try another router if you have one, or see if setting the DNS servers on the client fixes it, i.e. on your pc set your TCP/IP setting DNS servers to the above, rather than auto-assign: 4 Images below.

If that fixes the issue on that 1 client you set it for, then you can safely assume it's a DNS issue and BT's predefined DNS servers are either unable or unwilling to handle the request. Also, to confirm DNS, you can try this:

if you ping google.co.uk and get the IP for it, i.e. for me it's 216.58.206.78, going to http://216.58.206.78 will take you to the google page, as it wont require a DNS lookup to convert the google.com name into an address. If that still doesnt work, then presumably BT are dropping your request to google which is more problematic.
Big thanks for this, I'll give it a try, much appreciated!

That's why we pay the big bucks to @Zeito @lionel to be on top of this tech stuff when tagged...

... not really but we still appreciate a lot all the help :p

Last edited by a moderator:
https://duckduckgo.com/ is much better if you're into your privacy and shit.

Is this just on Chrome? Try a different browser?

Honestly, it just sounds like a DNS issue with your provider, assuming that your IP/ISP may have been blacklisted, or something?

Back