What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

• The Official Roleplay UK 10 year pin badge has arrived, get one for yourself here!

PC Randomly Shutting Down

The real soap

My PC keeps shutting down randomly and has now started to get stuck in boot loops and will finally load then 5-10 minutes later will just reboot again, its not a soft reboot either, it latterly just switches off like someone has pulled the plug then restarts again

the steps i have taken to sort this issue is;

- New power supply incase it is drawing too much power, Also unplugged CD drive and LED light but no different 

- Stripped the whole PC and removed all dust build up

- Unplugged front USB ports and Power on button in case they were affecting it in anyway

- Removed old thermal paste and re-applied new thermal paste

- removed graphics card and run it off motherboard 

- used ram from another PC which was the same as mine

- def fragged all my HDD's and SSD's and even used an external one with windows installed to see if any of the storage drives were causing the issues

Am i right in saying this could narrow it down to being the motherboard, its quite and old PC that has had better parts added to it but never change the MOBO, wanted people's onions before going ahead and spending 100+ on a motherboard if it isnt going to solve the issue.

When does it switch off? When it's idle or in a game?

Post the details of what power supply and GPU you are using also by the way.

@Starsky power supply is a shitty Chinese one that came with the pc its blank so cant tell what it is, but stole the family pc's power supply which fitted and still had the same issue, the gpu is a gtx 750 also a load of rubbish, but trying to save for a car and paying my phone bill ect i dont have a grand spare for a new pc, also it is at random times either  games or apps dont make a difference  and will still shut down with nothing running apart from the bare minimum, i checked task manager and the cpu was only at like 10% or something like that so i cant see that too much load is causing the problem

@Samatlewis i checked the temps when it first happened and they were normal, i sped up my fans in the bios anyway just in case my power supply was overheating but still got the same issue, i even put my desk fan next to it with the side panel open and the temperature dropped a few degrees but still kept happening 

Last edited by a moderator:
@Samatlewis i checked the temps when it first happened and they were normal, i sped up my fans in the bios anyway just in case my power supply was overheating but still got the same issue, i even put my desk fan next to it with the side panel open and the temperature dropped a few degrees but still kept happening 
Are all your drivers up to date? Windows etc? when did this start happening?

@Samatlewis started happening about a month ago now and got worse overtime and it shuts off more frequently and hardly boots up and gets stuck in boot loop i tried to reset the whole thing but shutdown halfway through, before it started everything was up to date due to having my setting auto update whenever something new comes out, i know my way around a PC wouldnt say im the best or anything but have tried everything i think i could be 

@Starsky power supply is a shitty Chinese one that came with the pc its blank so cant tell what it is, but stole the family pc's power supply which fitted and still had the same issue, the gpu is a gtx 750 also a load of rubbish, but trying to save for a car and paying my phone bill ect i dont have a grand spare for a new pc, also it is at random times either  games or apps dont make a difference  and will still shut down with nothing running apart from the bare minimum, i checked task manager and the cpu was only at like 10% or something like that so i cant see that too much load is causing the problem

If both power supplies are not known brands at all, then i would be careful; power supplies that do not supply efficient current can cause the PC to cut out.

@Soapy If you've changed everything but the cpu and motherboard, it pretty much narrows down all your options. You've changed or removed all the components you'd need to change to really eliminate it. The only other thing to look for is a short, a bit of metal touching on the mobo, case standoffs not fitted properly (unlikely if it was fine up until recently).

If you have it stripped down the absolutely minimum - case, mobo, cpu, 1 stick of known good RAM - no storage. Plug monitor into the mobo, power it on and go into the bios and just keep an eye on the temp to make sure it's not going crazy high or anything, and see if it turns off while sitting in the bios doing nothing. 

Keep an eye on environmental factors as well - make sure it's not a power surge in your house. Either get a surge protector (always a good idea) dont have it plugged in to an overloaded extension cord, see if it maybe occurs at the same time as something else. For example, in my house when the compressor in my crappy fridge kicks in, my TV will briefly go blank like it's been turned off.

if the pc turns off at the bare minimum in the bios, and it's not a power surge or anything, then that narrows it down to pointing it at the mobo as the likely cause. You would need one of the same CPU socket to test it. Generally, CPUs dont go bad unless they get overheated.

@Samatlewis I got some big onions for ya right here if ya want 'em

@Zeito update on computer issues, i narrowed it down to motherboard dude to all other componets working fine in my test bench (family pc xD) so ordered a new MOBO and hopefully that fixes it :)

@Zeito update on computer issues, i narrowed it down to motherboard dude to all other componets working fine in my test bench (family pc xD) so ordered a new MOBO and hopefully that fixes it :)
nice one mate! Just take care putting it all together, though im sure at this point you could do it in your sleep with one arm behind your back!

Back