What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

Wiping a HDD

Jamz

Banned
Okay, so by reading the title you may now understand that I'm not the best with PC's and knowing how to do stuff.

I've managed to put in my old 2TB HDD in my new system to stop myself from having to rely on my 250GB SSD.
However, my old 2TB HDD still has all the system files, and old useless junk on it that I had on my old system.

I simple want to wipe the HDD so it's completely empty, to then move files such as games, etc across to it in order to release stress from my SSD.
Does anyone know a fast/simple way other than clicking delete on every single file and waiting potentially hours upon hours to clear 1TB worth of junk/system files from my old HDD.

Much love and thanks,
Jamz :Cool:

Okay, so by reading the title you may now understand that I'm not the best with PC's and knowing how to do stuff.

I've managed to put in my old 2TB HDD in my new system to stop myself from having to rely on my 250GB SSD.
However, my old 2TB HDD still has all the system files, and old useless junk on it that I had on my old system.

I simple want to wipe the HDD so it's completely empty, to then move files such as games, etc across to it in order to release stress from my SSD.
Does anyone know a fast/simple way other than clicking delete on every single file and waiting potentially hours upon hours to clear 1TB worth of junk/system files from my old HDD.

Much love and thanks,
Jamz :Cool:
hmm a quick way would be to right click and format, but you cannot do that if the OS is on it

Did they just appear now? Like after you formatted
They were there before I formatted. Although, I have no idea what they are. The F: drive is my HDD which should be 2TB. But it seems like its split into 2 drives? F: and G: ?? 

They were there before I formatted. Although, I have no idea what they are. The F: drive is my HDD which should be 2TB. But it seems like its split into 2 drives? F: and G: ?? 
The systems reserved drive can be hidden by following these steps: 

-Open Computer management on the local computer by right clicking on Computer in Windows Explorer and choose manage. Then click on Disk Management in the left hand pane.

-(Or just type diskmgmt.msc into the run dialog)

-Right click on the shaded area for Drive E: System reserved in the lower right hand window.

-Click on Change drive letter or paths

-Highlight E and click remove

If you receive error messages that the drive might be in use or that programs might not run correctly, don't panic. It is OK to remove the drive letter. Once a letter is not assigned, the drive will not appear in windows explorer. Im not sure if this works on windows 10 (the steps might be different).

As for the G: Drive check your partitions in the BIOS. it looks you have split your HDD into two partitions.  :Cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
The systems reserved drive can be hidden by following these steps: 

-Open Computer management on the local computer by right clicking on Computer in Windows Explorer and choose manage. Then click on Disk Management in the left hand pane.

-(Or just type diskmgmt.msc into the run dialog)

-Right click on the shaded area for Drive E: System reserved in the lower right hand window.

-Click on Change drive letter or paths

-Highlight E and click remove

If you receive error messages that the drive might be in use or that programs might not run correctly, don't panic. It is OK to remove the drive letter. Once a letter is not assigned, the drive will not appear in windows explorer. Im not sure if this works on windows 10 (the steps might be different).

As for the G: Drive check your partitions in the BIOS. it looks you have split your HDD into two partitions.  :Cool:
The system reserve that's visible is probably from the old OS. Would probably be better to just unallocate the system reserve and expand the main partition. Either way works I guess xD 100mb(ish) won't really make much difference I guess...

Any help on removing partitions? Only just learnt hownto install a HDD to ny system this morning.... So I think playing with the BIOS isn't a good idea. :D

The help is hugely appreciated though, pal!

Ye you're probably right @CMO Marc Smith

As for the un-partitioning of the HDD:

-Your HDD should be split into two drives (right click and select delete volume on the partition) This should free up the space again and you should have one drive.

If your struggling a bit this should help :)

http://www.ghacks.net/2012/01/03/how-to-partition-and-un-partition-your-hard-drive-in-windows/  (scroll down to Un-partitioning)

good luck  :Cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
 Thanks for the help, Marc and Matt. Appreciated. Hopefully ill manage to do it when I'm home. Will probably end up messaging you both again once I manage to mess it up  ;)

If your worried about screwing it up, ping me a msg on ts tonight and i can remote in and check it for you :)  otherwise all the information you need is in this thread good luck 

Oh don't forget if you a decent amount of ram turn off your page file, page files like to eat ssd's. 

Back