What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

• The Official Roleplay UK 10 year pin badge has arrived, get one for yourself here 5 left!

Worth upgrading RAM for Altis Life?

Bob Wilkinson

Wiki Editor
Hey all, so its my birthday in a couple days and I was debating whether it's worth upgrading my 2x4GB RAM cards to these. When playing on server 1 i get really bad fps which improves the lower the player count is. My fps also tanks when I get shot and upon monitoring my resource usage, RAM is at 85% when idle and 90%+ when my fps starts to drop (shooting, getting shot, etc). Sits at 60ish% when Arma isn't running. What are your thoughts? Should I prioritise upgrading anything else? (kinda small budget)

Other specs:

WXELFel.png

Thank you!

Arma is CPU intensive, extremely unoptimized and well simply unfair. Yes upgrading your RAM would probably help slightly compare to what you have now but it will have no real effect to your FPS specifically in Arma. You’d need a far better CPU 3.5 GHz and above.

Arma is CPU intensive, extremely unoptimized and well simply unfair. Yes upgrading your RAM would probably help slightly compare to what you have now but it will have no real effect to your FPS specifically in Arma. You’d need a far better CPU 3.5 GHz and above.
Thanks for the advice, only problem is im too scared to touch the cpu in case i fuck it up 😂 ill see what i can do though

Thanks for the advice, only problem is im too scared to touch the cpu in case i fuck it up 😂 ill see what i can do though
Just make sure you have a static wristband on and that u don't force the CPU into the socket (don't forget to apply heat compound

dont see you needing anything of the up above, if you are looking for 1 upgrade, id say go get a decent ssd.

the different the ssd makes will be more then upgrading your ram.

dont see you needing anything of the up above, if you are looking for 1 upgrade, id say go get a decent ssd.

the different the ssd makes will be more then upgrading your ram.

Yes it will increase performance but running games that read/write on a SSD at that intensity will greatly reduce its life compared to just using it as a non-game drive for booting etc. I personally use a normal HDD for all my games but the biggest factor for Arma is your CPU. Have you thought about overclocking?

Yes it will increase performance but running games that read/write on a SSD at that intensity will greatly reduce its life compared to just using it as a non-game drive for booting etc. I personally use a normal HDD for all my games but the biggest factor for Arma is your CPU. Have you thought about overclocking?
storage will always be a bottleneck right? the life span you are talking about... you will be upgrading in 4 years anyways, get a good ol 128gb ssd for boot and arma 3 only

You wouldn't necessarily be upgrading it really depends what SSD you get. Most top end SSDs will last alot longer than 4-5 years varying on how you use it. Im just saying that running a game like arma on an SSD isn't the best option to improve performance unless you have spare cash to burn on a new one as often as you'd like😛

(Just forgot to mention earlier that you can run games on an SSD without any issues but Arma in specific is a bad example)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back