What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

• The Official Roleplay UK 10 year pin badge has arrived, get one for yourself here 5 left!

My thoughts regarding COVID-19

Cowboy Chip

Lifetime Donator
Lifetime Donator
[SIZE=10pt]Hello my fellow gamers.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]I wanted to give you my 3-cents regarding COVID-19, and how I believe, you can help to reduce your exposure to the virus.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] As a former EMT Paramedic, and a self-taught veterinarian, I have seen and treated many cases of different viruses from the mildest, to the severest.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] {Disclaimer.  I am not a licensed or practicing healthcare provider.  If you feel you are ill, or show symptoms of COVID-19, or any other disease, get medical attention immediately.  Furthermore, this post is my opinion, thus, if you feel you are sick, see your doctor for a professional diagnosis.}[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] According to the CDC, COVID-19 doesn't seem to be airborne. The CDC believes that COVID-19 spreads mainly from person-to-person.  [/SIZE]Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).

[SIZE=10pt] Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.  [/SIZE]These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs.

[SIZE=10pt] It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads because the virus cannot survive on hard surfaces such as plastic and stainless steel for longer than 72 hours, or on cardboard and cloths for longer than 24 hours.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]So, how can you protect yourselves?  [/SIZE]wearing rubber gloves when you need to go out will help reduce the chances of getting the virus from surface contact.  before you remove your gloves, use a wet wipe soaked with Nolvasan.  Nolvasan disinfectant is a surface cleaner that veterinarians use.  It kills most everything on the surface.   You can purchase Nolvasan disinfectant at a farm store that sells vet-supplies but follow the directions‼!

[SIZE=10pt] I use this product on everything here on the ranch including the horses and myself.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] What you do is buy a box of wet wipes in a plastic container.  [/SIZE]poor some Nolvasan in the container.  Just enough that all the wipes are wet with the Nolvasan.  Then, wipe your gloves with one wet wipe, and wipe any surface you touched before you remove your gloves.  Car door, steering wheel, the bottom of your shoes etc.  DO NOT touch your face, or any other exposed skin.  Then put the gloves in a plastic bag and seal it.  This will help keep you safe from surface contact.  Also, when you're out and about, try to avoid brushing up against any surfaces, otherwise, you could bring the virus home on your cloths.

[SIZE=10pt] Now, as for being 6 feet from people, well, remember that just because someone coughs, or sneezes, doesn't mean they are infected.   [/SIZE]So don't panic!  lol.  You can wear an approved mast, but that will only keep you from breathing it in.  It will not keep the spray from landing on your face, cloths, or any exposed skin.  It's best to just do your best to move quickly, if you can, do what you need to do and leave ASAP.

[SIZE=10pt] And of course, if you don't have to go out, don't...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] I encourage you to go to the CDC's website to learn more...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] Hope this helps, stay safe[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] Love y'all[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] Cowboy chip[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=10pt]{Disclaimer.  I am not a licensed or practicing healthcare provider.  If you feel you are ill, or show symptoms of COVID-19, or any other disease, get medical attention immediately.  Furthermore, this post is my opinion, thus, if you feel you are sick, see your doctor for a professional diagnosis.}[/SIZE]
Indeed, but also remember to do what your country`s goverment says. For example in Norway, ONLY call the emergency lines if theres a life or death emergency, if you think you have corona, then stay at home until it wears off(which it most likely). They have enough to deal with atm, if your fine but are showing symptons, stay at home.

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]You can wear an approved mast, but that will only keep you from breathing it in.  It will not keep the spray from landing on your face, cloths, or any exposed skin.
Please note, wearing a mask may not actually help you, as most of us arnt used to wearing one, we`d end up touching our face all the time to adjust it.

Some solid notes however from ya Chip.

Stay safe people.

Worth mentioning maybe, that surgeons in operating theatres wear masks only to protect the patient from the surgeon. They offer virtually no protection to the surgeon. They simply stop the surgeon's exhaled gunk from landing on the patient.

It has always made me snigger a bit seeing Japanese and Chinese people wearing face-masks in public, thinking that it will protect them from traffic-fumes and other people's diseases. It would do no such thing.

Then, when I learned first-hand from a Japanese friend that in fact, it is considered polite to wear such masks if you have a cold, in order to protect other people, it made a lot more sense.

Also worth mentioning, maybe, that Nolvasan's active ingredient is Chlorhexidine Diacetate, which although good against some bacteria and fungi, is not 100% effective against all viruses. Some viruses, like polio and adenoviruses are unaffected by Chlorhexidine. There is (as yet) no firm data on its effectiveness against Covid-19, but according to Nolvasan's own manufacturer (Zoetis) they suggest it works against canine coronavirus, some horse viruses, and the rabies virus. Their own information paperwork is very careful to obscure its effectiveness as a virucide with one of those little † symbols that, when checked, indicate it's only viable as a virucide when used on inanimate objects - i.e. not your hands.

Of course, it's better than nothing, probably. And practicing sensible hygiene drills over the coming weeks is going to be what separates the infected from the rest of us, regardless of the products involved. 

If you're looking for something proven effective against coronavirus, try products with a decent concentration of hypochlorous acid, a milder form of bleach (i.e. sodium hypochlite), but with a pH of around 6 that is safe for the skin unlike true bleach. It will neutralise Covid-19 in around 12-15 seconds. Other products use hydrogen peroxide, and these work, but need to be carefully used, in accordance with their instructions - don't go washing your hands in your mum's blonde hair-dye!

You biggest preventative, though, is simple, very regular hand-washing. Hot or at least warm water, and soap - just like your granny use to use - properly agitated over all of your hands, fingers, nails and wrists for 20 seconds or more will break apart the lipid bonds that form the 'attack surfaces' of the coronavirus. Keep your hands scrupulously clean, stay away from other people (2 metres at least, is the recommendation), and never touch your face if your hands are not clean. The virus gets in to your body via the mucus membranes - so that's your eyes/eyelids area, up your nose, in your mouth. It won't get in through your skin generally - but if it's on your fingers and you're digging up your nostrils for black gold or lost Lego, then you're increasing your risk many times.

Disclaimer: I'm no doctor, not medically trained, and I possess no qualification in this area other than that of a being patient with a rare genetic condition that leaves me very badly lung-compromised already, with incurable emphysema. If I catch Covid-19, my chances of survival are on a par with that of @Ciaran releasing a new ARMA Framework. So I am, you might say, rather keen to work on the facts, and have a vested interest in finding them. Stay safe, stay educated, stay clean, survive.

maxresdefault.jpg

Wash your hands and sing happy birthday

As someone who has worked in microbial / cell-line labs before, wearing gloves is only viable if you're willing to change your gloves often, in which case... 
Hand sanitisers / antibacterial hand gels and etc will be just as good without the gloves used in the manner by which you suggest. 

Antibacterials work versus this virus as it has a lipid layer coating which it's antigenic proteins sit in (Antigens are what virus' express on the outside of themselves and how they may gain access into your body's cells). The lipid layer is destroyed by antibacterials and as such it is rendered harmless. 

The advice of not touching your face is very appropriate, but very hard to do!

@TinyBigJacko,  thank you for your elaboration of my post.   I will say that, like so many other products, the manufacturer will only post a products intended purpose.  But in a practical application of said product, many more uses are often found.

Also, thanks @Simen and @Qrow for your constructive posts.

As for the 3 facepalms, really?  

I work in the A/C, issue is some people will not tell you they are sick(cause they want their air con fixed). Luckily we been advised to just leave if we suspect they are sick. Have not had to yet, but we do have a bunch of idiots licking their hands and touching food,wiping their nose on peoples clothing, even had a family or something execute(shot him in the back of the head) a security guard in a dollar general or something cause he told one of the family members they could not enter without a mask, head that on the news. Some guy went into a store with a KKK hood on also. Scammers are taking advantage of old folk "selling a cure" scam. Stuffs crazy out there,hope you all stay safe 

I work in the A/C, issue is some people will not tell you they are sick(cause they want their air con fixed). Luckily we been advised to just leave if we suspect they are sick. Have not had to yet, but we do have a bunch of idiots licking their hands and touching food,wiping their nose on peoples clothing, even had a family or something execute(shot him in the back of the head) a security guard in a dollar general or something cause he told one of the family members they could not enter without a mask, head that on the news. Some guy went into a store with a KKK hood on also. Scammers are taking advantage of old folk "selling a cure" scam. Stuffs crazy out there,hope you all stay safe 
Only in the US lmao

Back