What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

• The Official Roleplay UK 10 year pin badge has arrived, get one for yourself here 5 left!

How would one change NAT type on an android for tethering?

Ant

Genius, Entrepreneur, Playboy, Philanthropist, Bil
Unlinked
Due to having poor wifi in all surrounding areas, I use my phone as a tethering source (One Plus 2, using three as a courier). This gets me by for just watching youtube videos, and occasionaly playing games, however it does exclude me from lots of activities within video games such as voice chat, playing with friends in certain games etc. as my NAT type is 'strict'. Would it be possible to change my NAT type to open instead of strict? Even NAT type 2 would be much preferred over strict. I don't fully understand what the difference is between these NAT types but I do know that it does change my experience drastically. Thanks for reading, and hopefully someone can help me :)

Often the NAT restrictions are an issue with the carrier not the device, Simplist solution would be to bung a VPN on there (double check with 3 if your allowed to run a VPN). I often use a VPN to get around packet shaping on vodafones network.

I personally use and will happily recommend IPVanish VPN. This should sort your NAT issue's out.

Their servers are fast enough to game on, and stream 1080p content.

Last edited by a moderator:
Often the NAT restrictions are an issue with the carrier not the device, Simplist solution would be to bung a VPN on there.

I personally use and will happily recommend IPVanish VPN. This should sort your NAT issue's out.

Their servers are fast enough to game on, and stream 1080p content.
I've tried a few VPN's before - will the VPN slow my connection down at all? Also do I download this app on my phone or PC?

I get this error when trying to access the website: Picture

IPVanish excell in speed and bandwidth. I have not had an issue in 4 months of use, although I only really stream Media over the VPN I dont game over VPN as my broadband is pretty good, so why make it worse ;). of course your ping will increase a bit as the route taken is longer, But i would be suprised if it went <30~10 what you normally get.

Try just 1 month first its like 8$ then see if its playable in games, TS wont be an issue at all.

I can try gaming over VPN if you really want, but i would recommend using a VPN on mobiles anyway :) Fuck the carriers watching what we do.

There are two ways of doing this, you can either:

1) Buy a secure VPN such as PIA or CyberGhost

Or

2) Go on wifi settings and change your proxy to 8.8.8.8 which is googles secure proxy server

Or

2) Go on wifi settings and change your proxy to 8.8.8.8 which is googles secure proxy server
1) None of the VPN's I've tried so far have seemed to work

2) How would I get into my wifi settings? Is it on the phone or my PC?

2) How would I get into my wifi settings? Is it on the phone or my PC?
You can change your proxy on any device in a very similar way, for me on my iPhone, I go wifi >  open up your network settings on the wifi you are connected to > then find proxy and enter 8.8.8.8. Here is a article which should help you: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21068905/how-to-change-proxy-settings-in-android-especially-in-chrome

If you have any more issues, letme know and I can explain to you via team speak or Skype etc

You can change your proxy on any device in a very similar way, for me on my iPhone, I go wifi >  open up your network settings on the wifi you are connected to > then find proxy and enter 8.8.8.8. Here is a article which should help you: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21068905/how-to-change-proxy-settings-in-android-especially-in-chrome

If you have any more issues, letme know and I can explain to you via team speak or Skype etc
I think you misunderstand my situation - I am not using wifi, I'm using my phones 3G service. I don't think that's possible with that

I think you misunderstand my situation - I am not using wifi, I'm using my phones 3G service. I don't think that's possible with that
Oh yeah sorry, I misread. The only way to fix it is by a VPN and if that doesn't work, I don't think there is a fix. Try contacting your mobile carrier 

Or

You seem to have got confused with 3 different technologies ........ please if your not sure what your talking about please refrain from commenting, or at least put in a disclaimer you have no idea and your just spouting random things about networks

NAT = Network address translation - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation
Proxy = Can be used instead of VPN for a multitude of things, but would not ultimately help in this scenario, as the technologies are different, three will treat proxy traffic as standard traffic.
DNS = 8.8.8.8 is googles DNS server not a proxy server (mind you I have never tried using it as a proxy server let me know how that works out for you)

Google = MOST INSECURE PRODUCT ON THE PLANET, your entire life tracking history can be purchased for about $12 ... secure proxy server lolololol

Which VPN's have you tried ?? IPVanish is as simple as installing an app on your phone and clicking connect on the server. let me know what the issue is :)

*update 

I have just tested TS on VPN to my server on vodafone network, there was 0 difference in ping !!!! (colour me suprised)
ON THAT NOTE !!!! TS and VPN don't go well together with Altis Life !!! may get you banned using VPN to connect to their TS @Ciaran@Wilcois that correct ?
I can't test this as I don't have high enough security level on my phone to connect to the AL ts server, please wait until this is confirmed before doing anything !! :) 

You can also ask the community support team on TS, if you get an answer please update this ticket with the information.

You seem to have got confused with 3 different technologies ........ please if your not sure what your talking about please refrain from commenting, or at least put in a disclaimer you have no idea and your just spouting random things about networks
MFW I saw this thread and the smorgasbord of terms and technologies mentioned.

Suspicious-Fry-Flanders-Leonardo-DiCaprio-Meme-Gif.gif

Ok thanks for all the responses. Just to confirm, VPN's, for whatever reason, do not work when I have my phone tethering - it works on my phone, just the internet completely stops working on my PC. I did, however, manage to get my PC to have NAT type Moderate, which means I can play with people on Open and Moderate NAT types. For anyone having the same problem, I did this by: Tethering my phone to my Macbook Air, making a hotspot on my Macbook, and then connecting to that hotspot on my pc. I have noticed minimally slower speeds, however if it means I can actually play games properly now it's a win.

@Antarnihehehe as long as you got it working, not sure why tethering doesnt work on VPN for you, works fine my end. Out of interest what phone are you using to tether ?

Ok I take back what I said - for whatever reason my NAT type has gone back to being strict, when all I have done since now and yesterday is restart my phone, pc and laptop

Back