What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

3 Posts 12 Emails

Hamilton Morris

3 Replies were made and I received 12 emails informing me.

5fe465fa81.png

I always have the same issue, receive multiple emails for the same notification

For your reply I only got 1 email, so not sure if it's only when a staff memeber replies that it does it

73db1b7009.png

Very weird. If I post something in this topic how many mails does it sent to you? 

I hadn't changed my setting at all so I am guessing there will be others in the same situation but I've changed it now

I've had a quick look out our server backend and can find no evidence that we're sending notifications multiple times, @Abdul Rafiq - but having said that, the logfile doesn't give me a massive amount of detail. I know for sure that you do not turn up in any error logs, so it rules out any inability for our server to reach your mail-delivery server (which is a widely-known company that we send a great deal of traffic to without any problem, so I doubt it's any sort of intermittent routing failure).

Most people (myself included) seem to get just the one notification per posted item (or however we've set up our notifications, e.g. daily digest, etc) - but of course it's possible your choice has become corrupted.

You mentioned this:

I hadn't changed my setting at all so I am guessing there will be others in the same situation but I've changed it now
and I am a little confused by it. You say you've not changed your settings (presumably prior to this situation) but that you've changed it now? What did you change it to, and what was it before? (Don't post your private email address here, though! Just give me the gist).

In your screenshots above, what are you viewing your mail in? A browser? A separate email client app? If so, which one? Are you viewing your actual mailbox (the one you registered to this forum), or are you viewing a secondary, separate account which receives mail via a forwarder from the first one? Do you have any kind of mail-rewrite rules, or other mail handling apps or plugins at your side which might be failing and/or causing the email to be duplicated multiple times.

It would be useful to have one set of four duplicate emails sent to me, via forum PM, as attachments if possible, showing the full SMTP trace headers so I can determine whether they were duped locally, or actually sent out four times individually from our server (I can tell that from the SMTP headers if you enclose those - you may need to set your email client up so that it views them. I need them in full, or they're useless, mind!).

If you're not sure how to copy an email and keep the headers intact, let me know exactly what email-client you're using to view your emails, and I'll try and dig out platform-specific instructions.

Regards
TinyBigJacko

Ok, so are you now **getting** just one email a day, or are you still getting four copies of it?

And have you sent me a set of four of the duplicate emails, with their headers, as I asked?

Even though I changed my setting to one email a day I just received 7 emails for your reply

844befcfe5.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I also received 7 emails for TBJ’s reply

So I just went over the emails and I noticed that I only receive multiple emails from people who have forum groups (Police, Staff etc) I receive one email when Abdul posts. I received 7 when you posted, 2 when creebles posted, 3 when king posted

Seems to be the same as what the OP is experiencing 1 post from Jeffrey (No forum group) multiple from King who has a group

That must be it as I never got and email for your reply which no doubt I will get at the end of the day as i changed my settings

I also had this issue, it comes and goes, and it gets VERY annoying at some points as all i hear is my email saying you have an email all at once playing at about 5-6x. i had to disable notification from RPUK email just so my phone wont do sounds left and right.

Why does nobody actually read what I posted and comply with my requests properly?

With respect, a screenshot of your inbox helps nobody, and gives precisely nothing away.

I need to see the SMTP headers of your messages - in full. Don't post them here, because they contain IP addresses that might be compromising, potentially.

If you don't know how to view the SMTP message headers, ask. At least I am aware now that you're using Chrome and signing in to Outlook's webmail interface (you managed to comply with at least that much of my request; well done there), so hopefully I can go and Google for the instructions for viewing SMTP mail headers in Outlook's webmail POS... or maybe you could?

Why do I need to see these hidden headers?

Because I need to see whether our mail-system genuinely connected to yours seven separate times and handed-off seven distinct emails to Outlook's system. This will be reflected in the 'Received from:' headers in the email, if so (bear in mind that the 'Date/Time' shown at the top of the message is irrelevant - that's just the moment the initial notification alert was first generated, and has nothing to do with the mail transport system. If the headers are all 100% the same, then it indicates the problem is on the Outlook side, probably caused by duplication for reasons yet to be determined (it happens, sometimes, especially if any kind of forwarding is involved).

Alas, the way that our forum works, it does not appear to keep logs for every outgoing message (or at least, if it does, I've not managed to find them, and none of the other forum-operators have been able to tell me where they are stored, when I asked!). It does keep error-logs, but there is nothing showing in there. So, my first step is to determine "did our mailserver really hit yours up multiple times, or is this a local problem at your end?", and the SMTP mail headers are the first step - and frankly, the ONLY thing that is going to shine any light on that, this side of next Christmas.

It might also be useful to hear from the other people saying they've received duplicates, the following:

1. Is the number of duplicates you received directly related to the number of forum player groups or forum-roles (Member, Police, etc)  that you are part of? I would think not (because Abdul is surely not a member of seven!), but it might be related, so let's hear.
  2. Are you all using Outlook? Or receiving your email through a Hotmail address? Do you all use the webmail email-client in a browser, or do you use a standalone copy of Outlook on your PC/phone/etc?
Thanks in advance. Sorry to sound tense, but seriously... I'm like tryna help here... and just banging my head against the screen and grimacing... 😉

FOLLOWUP:

Assuming that using Outlook in Chrome is actually the same thing as using 'Outlook Web App' (no idea, but I'm sure someone will let me know), then the following should help anyone to find the SMTP message headers for a given email:

https://support.rackspace.com/how-to/view-and-read-email-headers-in-owa/

Remember I need to see the whole set of headers for every single email in one duplicated set - so if you received four the same, I need to see all four's headers... One mail's headers alone, will not suffice!

An update...

After lengthy investigations (with thanks due to @NotMattch and later @Abdul Rafiq for sending me a bunch of SMTP headers that I could actually do some low-level detective work on), it turns out that yes, indeed, it seems our forum-engine is actually doing the re-sending of duplicate notification messages, and it's not something to do with our users' own ISPs, mail-handlers, email-clients or local forwarding settings.

At this point, I still have some further work to do to narrow the source of the problem down to an actual cause. It could be one of several things:

• Possibly the mail-system that our forum-engine initially hands off mail to, has a temporary problem. It's a load-distributed pool of mail-servers, and it's possible that one is failing and hasn't been properly detected by the company that runs it (I'm not going into too much detail in that area here, for security reasons, but suffice it to say we are looking into that avenue).
  • Possibly our own forum-engine is overloading, and trying to batch-send too many emails at once, and the connection(s) to the downstream mail-server(s) are timing out or failing, causing our end to re-send the entire batch again.
  • It might even be something else entirely, as yet undiscovered (i.e. perhaps a bug in the forum-engine code itself - we're looking into this as a distinct possibility, as IPB's notification-sending code has always been a bit 'different' to many other forum-engines on the market, for reasons known only to its creators).
One thing we have established is that it has nothing to do with how many forum groups or member-roles the sender or the recipient is part of, and seems in practice to be entirely random. Sometimes some people will get repeated dupes, while others do not (possibly something to do with the order the notifications are batched, and what happens to each queue), and sometimes people receiving dupes will get vastly different numbers of dupes from the same person's posts at different times (ruling out anything 'static' to do with some group-membership issue, etc).

We're continuing to look into it, but it's being hampered somewhat by a lack of detailed logging facilities available on the mailserver end, and even less scope for debug within the forum-engine itself. I'd go so far as to say it's a total bloody pain! The only official IPB way to debug the outgoing mail queue is to have it write all mail to a separate log; quite normal you'd think, but for some stupid reason, doing this deliberately stops any of that mail actually leaving the server and being delivered at all! Obviously, we can't do that on a production server for any length of time, because people will miss all their notifications. Furthermore, by not actually attempting a real delivery, it's not really a 'debug' at all, because it's taken one of the possible causes out of the equation! If the problem is due to the interaction of our forum-engine's mail-queues and the live downstream mailservers, we kind of need that operation to actually be happening, in order to reliably see what's going wrong with it! Sigh!

I'll keep you posted here, if I uncover a solution. I have a feeling this one is going to be a problem for a while, unless I can convince the masters at IPB to make a slightly more useful debug and logging system as part of the basic IPB package...

Our apologies for any inconvenience caused, and please know we're doing everything feasible to try and eradicate it. 

Back