What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

AMD or Intel?

The real soap

Im looking to build a new pc soon and have been re-searching both brands AMD AND INTEL and have come across a problem, i have decent knowledge about Intel products, but when researching AMD i was seeing 3.8Ghz 8core Cpu's for like £140, this puzzled me because a 4core 4Ghz i7 for example is like £300+, why are these AMD cpu's so cheap if there specs are pretty good, am i missing something or is AMD as cheap as they say, for the same and sometimes better specs than Intel?

Also Is it worth using AMD parts or should i stick to what i know with Intel?

Im looking to build a new pc soon and have been re-searching both brands AMD AND INTEL and have come across a problem, i have decent knowledge about Intel products, but when researching AMD i was seeing 3.8Ghz 8core Cpu's for like £140, this puzzled me because a 4core 4Ghz i7 for example is like £300+, why are these AMD cpu's so cheap if there specs are pretty good, am i missing something or is AMD as cheap as they say, for the same and sometimes better specs than Intel?

Also Is it worth using AMD parts or should i stick to what i know with Intel?
If you have the money - go for Intel IMO.

If you're on a budget - AMD.

Be wary that the latest AMD Ryzen CPUs are showing very poor 1080p gaming performance. Due in part to AMDs uncompetitive position lately, most games are optomised for intel.

If you're Gaming - Intel for now

If you're looking for productivity CPU - AMD Ryzen all the way.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/luke-hill/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-cpu-review/

http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/matthew-wilson/amd-explains-why-ryzen-doesnt-seem-to-keep-up-in-1080p-gaming/

edit 2: with the added competition from AMD now, Intel CPUs will price fall. Maybe not by much, but they will drop.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/matthew-wilson/price-drops-are-coming-in-for-gtx-1080s-and-intel-cpus-at-uk-retailers/

ive got an AMD 8 core. Runs games like battlefield and GTA flawlessly. But when it comes to Arma i get like 15 fps in kavala, ~ 25 fps elswhere. Arma cant handle 8 cores very well. If youre buying to play arma. Go for high singelcore perfomance - intel

Last edited by a moderator:
cheer's guys this helps clear a lot of stuff up, i'm abit of an AMD noob because I've always used intel products, but i see its better to stick with what i know :)

ive got an AMD 8 core. Runs games like battlefield and GTA flawlessly. But when it comes to Arma i get like 15 fps in kavala, ~ 25 fps elswhere. Arma cant handle 8 cores very well. If youre buying to play arma. Go for high singelcore perfomance - intel
Been looking at some of the Ryzen 1700 Reviews and it clocks very well, even in single threaded performance against the 7700K source and for the price !!! WOW.
AMD-Ryzen-7-1700X-vs-i7-7700K-IPC-single-threaded.png

THIS IS BOTH CHIPS OVERCLOCKED !!!

But at the moment there are questions as to why even in some cases they have up to 10% lower performance in games, is it day 1 release woes that will be fixed in time to come, or is it simply that as an 8 core it is bound to suffer as they don't clock as well (intel & amd both only hit about 4.2Ghz overclock with their 8 core systems)
http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-processor-review,1.html (if you don't want to read the whole article skip to the last page as it gives a fair viewpoint)

THE GAMING PERFORMANCE 
So here is where we need to write an entire paragraph. You have been able to see that the Ryzen 7 1800X performance is good, but not just yet 100% where it needs to be. During the past week we have been going back and forth to figure out what could be causing the relatively lower game performance. To date, we have no valid answer to that. The graphics card runs properly at PCI-Express x16 3.0. We know from the RAW and synthetic performance benchmarks that the cores are fast enough, in fact VERY fast. Somehow that does not relate to game performance. It will be interesting to see if other media / websites will show similar results to ours. It rather feels and smells a little like what Nvidia has been fighting a while ago, a DPC latency issue. Next to that we find Ryzen 7 rather memory bound with fairly high memory latency in the 80 to 100ns+ ranges depending on your configuration. It is what it is though, the performance definitely is good enough for what it needs to be, but currently at 1080P with a fast enough GPU the performance lacks a little compared to where it needs to be and can be. I will need to give AMD the benefit of the doubt here, the platform is young and everything is new. The processor certainly is fast enough compared to the Intel 59xx / 69xx counterparts. We will keep an eye on this and when we have to report anything about it we'll update this content. And also in closing on this topic, if you are a little GPU bound or use 2560x1440, this really is a non-issue as perf there is top notch.

I agree if your going to be building a ARMA rig, your only sensible choice is Intel (still more expensive) but if you are happy to take a fps hit in Arma3 all other games seem to run fine at a much lower price point. (I cant read the language but it has an Arma benchmark)
ryzen-bench-sku-arma.png

Also to consider is the flood of cheap 8core processors is going to drive DX12 which lends itself to threaded applications / games very well, but that depends on how quick it happens from game dev's. 

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back