What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

Ask me about being a Police Officer

Thesoldier

Banned
So a few people in game have been asking me a few questions about being a dirty copper in America since I become a CSO/PCSO and told some stories of my adventures. Figures the police guy would join the police, but it had to be done.

The last server community I did this on I had some interesting questions, and being that the majority of the players here are from the wonderful Europe world, I'm happy to answer any questions, tell stories, or try to clear up misconceptions about the police.

edit: In America that is, although I do work with another Officer who previously was a PC for the Greater Manchester Police who immigrated to America years ago and joined us.

I would appreciate it not to discuss certain controversial subjects, and would like to keep this civil. 

A little background on me is that I've been working in Law Enforcement for 5 years, and I did a 2 and a half year stint with a State Highway Patrol before joining a local police department. I work night shift in a city with a population of 140,000+

Ask away, I'll try to answer the best I can.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much are the qualifications for the job? Any joe schmoe out of highschool or do they prefer people with a certain degree/Past job.

How much are the qualifications for the job? Any joe schmoe out of highschool or do they prefer people with a certain degree/Past job.

I take my hat off to you for joining Altis police as well. I joined the police in the UK when I was 19 and did 5 years. I was in Thames Valley Police and stationed at Oxford.  I'm not tempted at joining Altis Police just yet but I'm sure there is ALOT less paperwork involved than real police work. :p  

I actually enquired about moving to the states while I was in the police and they seemed rather keen for UK cops to join, is there any reason for this?

Steve

How many people do not use the 5th Amendment?
Tons sadly, most people don't understand or can be confused about their rights. I do laugh at the google lawyers I conduct traffic stops on and try to act like jerks and start spouting random things like "BLAH BLAH IM NOT SELF INCRIMINATING MYSELF BLAH BLAH" and they wonder why they get a crap load of tickets.

Every state and every department is different. Some require only a high school diploma, and others require a combination of college, military experience, previous law enforcement experience. The highway patrol I worked for required either a year of sworn/non-sworn law enforcement, two years of active US Military, 45 credits of college, or two years experience dealing with the public (You could make this qualification if you were a Cashier for a grocery store or worked in retail lol.)

I actually enquired about moving to the states while I was in the police and they seemed rather keen for UK cops to join, is there any reason for this?

Steve
The US has a shortage in a lot of areas, and previous law enforcement experience anywhere makes you marketable.

I used to be a Trooper, but that was a movie. We did have our fun little pranks and jokes as entertainment. Covering patrol cars with plastic wrap, putting confetti in AC vents, or putting Nutella/Peanut Butter under the door handles of the patrol car driver door.

How do you successfully break into the HM Treasury and escape with all the gold?

;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-lcqIuVaR8

Just about covers my questions 

I can't resist it...

Do real cops also yolo charge the criminals, spamming them with rubber bullets without giving a damn, even tho they can be / are heavily armed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-lcqIuVaR8

Just about covers my questions 
My zone partner is pretty much the IRL version of Danny Butterman

Do real cops also yolo charge the criminals, spamming them with rubber bullets without giving a damn, even tho they can be / are heavily armed?
I may or may not have gotten yelled at for not waiting for more backup after I decided to say "screw it" and kick down a down of a barricaded subject who was threatening to inject himself with a syringe full of herion

What is the real life equivalent of the common kavala hobo?
the common kavala hobo is such a unique and special creature it cannot exsist anywhere else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta love the awkward phone call you get when you sign up for overtime from 5pm to 10pm and the boss calls you to say "Hey did I wake you up, oh ok umm please come in now since you're up anyway thanks bye."

17 hour shift tonight, Yay...

So far its been the usual, car accidents, and civil matters. Just got done with a dog bite call, most exciting thing so far.

Back