What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

Buying a new hard drive

Phoni3X

Hello!

Could anyone help me with getting a new hard drive?

I currently only have a 250 gb SSD hard drive, and I'm quite low on space, ya know  :rolleyes:

But. I don't have any clue on which kind of hard drive to buy ( Not the computer specs kind of guy)

.. I just want a hard drive with a lot of space, but still quite fast.

Any recommendations?  ;)

Thanks in advance!

Samsung 850evo goes up to 1 TB
He asked for Hard drive space, No one uses an SSD to store stuff on it unless you got some serious money lying around, them things are expensive when you start going over 500GB

He just stated he needed lots of space and good performance.

A 1tb ssd fits the bill perfectly.....

Im planning on buying a 1Tb 850 and a 4Tb WD black

I will always WD blacks mine has been great

Basically you can keep your SSD for frequent gaming & stuff  (you can even get an app that transfers you can use to transfer games between drives)then buy a large capacity HDD to keep less used files, photos, music & such.

If you are confident enough to crack open your PC (assuming of course it is a desktop) I would choose a 2 to 3 TB Sata 3 hardrive

(not knowing your exact model of PC I am assuming it is fairly up to date) something like a WD Caviar Green or for pure ease you can get an external hardrive USB 3 preferably. A Seagate 3TB expansion is currently on Amazon for £80. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Double post DOH!!!!

Careful going over 2tb it can be tricky trying to get access to the full drive

I don't want another SSD drive. I'm not a rich guy, you know?  :p

A 2 tb hard drive would be more than enough, but I don't know the differences and what to look for in a hard drive.

You guys suggested a lot of ( Probably ) good ones, but I don't know what to pick, as I have zero clue about hard drives.

If you're set on a getting a mechanical drive for your second drive and you're NOT going to store games on it, then just get a low power/eco/green drive.

There isn't anything you're going to store on it data-rate wise that is going to require a super fast drive. Plus the eco/green drives are very quiet.

I have SSDs only now in all my machines apart from my file server (which is entirely passively cooled) and the loudest thing in my room is the fucking hard drives, because I thought I might need some of those 'performance' mechanical drives from hitachi.

But whatever you do, ensure you run your most played games of SSD, the improvement in most games is dramatic.

Ahh right you said stick the os on the secondary drive...

Would be daft to do that

Ahh right you said stick the os on the secondary drive...

Would be daft to do that
Well i dislike SSDs due to i have had 2 and both broke and they cost £££ v HDD  :s 

btw 2 HDD on raid 0 (1 TB each) or 500gb SSD ?

Back