What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

Car millage and deterioration over time

Cheen

Having some sort of millage system on cars with an element of performance loss or less reliability for higher millage cars. Maybe also enable auto exotic to perform engine replacements to reset the millage for a certain fee as opposed to the car having to be scrapped. I feel this would enhance the second hand car market and also make dealership sales more attractive as you're buying a brand new 0 millage car.

Pros -

Reinvigorate the second hand market by varying the prices based on millage.

Make car dealership's a more attractive option for cars as opposed to buying maxed cars for under stock.

Producing extra RP with autoexotic and other mechanic shops (maybe set a reasonable price for these enginge changes but only a cut goes to mechanics so it doesn't affect the meta with high payouts)

Cons

Dev work (not sure if its possible) 

People may prefer the current: buy a car and always have it 

I like the suggestion from the RP side of things but I also think that adding a mechanic like this would largely just be incredibly frustrating for people. Pushing people into a situation where they have to do something, particularly with something as important as cars and absolutely essential to the server means that there will be a huge number of people at the mechanic shops, these people will likely want to just get their car serviced ASAP so they can be on their way and won't be looking to provide quality RP. I think the way it is now is a lot better, that if you want to go to these mechanic shops for a repair or refuel you can and that it would be better for it to stay like this or the quality of the RP would drop. -1 

I'd love for something like this to exist, especially with the effort some of the mechanic shops are putting in (looking at you Auto Exotic and TireNutz). I'd be thinking a bit more detailed though, with health tied to different components.

For those downvoting at the fear of it being onerous: Systems like this wouldn't be invasive to roleplay. I see it working like the real world, where 95% of the time, the car runs perfectly. You'd instead just keep track of some extra things like mileage and warning lights, and book it into garages for a checkover when the time comes (both seldom, and optional). Random problems could occur on rare occasions if not maintained well, such as tire punctures, but most of these could be pre-emptively dealt with. I see this all serving as a way to provide more dynamic roleplay to everyone involved. 

Unfortunate to see the suggestion shunned so badly in terms of downvotes. Any work in the mechanic space is good in my eyes. If wanting to downvote, remember a few words on why goes a long way guys to help improve it!

Last edited by a moderator:
@Hugh think some of your ideas are good and yeah I agree with the 95% thing. Unfortunately I think people will just see the inconvenience of it and worry about it rather than appreciate the new opportunities and realism it would bring.

Back