What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

Change #auctionroom to a noticeboard submissions to come from within game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason

Brief Summary:

Change Discord #auctionroom to a webhook channel, so that posts within it are adverts submitted from a UI in game. Perhaps further expand this to a noticeboard to allow more than just selling.

Detailed Suggestion:

My thought is seeing that FiveM posts have a strict criteria to what can be posted, a UI could be implemented in game to allow you to submit adverts (perhaps at a small fee - £1k?) which I think could be colour coded to signify types;

- Buying 
- Selling
- Event
- Service

The Discord Auctionroom is currently an exception to the rule for using OOC information within game and I know conversations have occurred in the past in debating what can or cannot be used as information from Discord. I see advertisements for roleplay events, such as street racing, appear on the Discord which doesn't fit #auctionroom but then could be OOC information your character then uses - this isn't a bad thing as it's encouraging roleplay.

IRL you have access to the internet and your social media 24/7 (or at least most will), yet when you're not on the server you're cut off to things going on - I feel roleplay events could better be advertised through this noticeboard but again is an advert pointing you towards then doing something within the game, not discussing outside of it on the public discord.

Here is a 2 minute slapped together design of the idea I had. 

FAn8khq.png

The Pros:

Prevents conversation within the channel (as can be read only)
Design would mean it remains consistent and thus easy to read.
Prevents persons private messaging the posters Discord accounts to negotiate out of game,  thus encouraging the conversation to continue in RP via the contact method provided.

The Cons:

@Paintwill have another UI to make
Will still require some level of moderation to ensure what is posted is appropriate

Does this suggestion change balance on the server ?

I do not believe so. This will make some interactions harder if the person isn't in game, however I feel that isn't good anyway. This is a means of pointing the individual back into the game to continue the conversation there.

We do not have an in-game app that better manages this and seeing as #auctionroom functionality seems to work okay thus far, it seems a good idea to expand on it's functionality and how it works.

Only impact it may have is of course Malden Life share it (albeit don't recall seeing a post in there about Malden in a long time) so a seperate channel just for Malden Life may need to be made if required.

Last edited by a moderator:
tbh the #auctionhouse was always there from Arma, wouldn't it make sense to have something more like autotrader or ebay in game where you could sell stuff there? that was it eliminates the whole of discord in total? 

tbh the #auctionhouse was always there from Arma, wouldn't it make sense to have something more like autotrader or ebay in game where you could sell stuff there? that was it eliminates the whole of discord in total? 
You could, and it has been suggested before.

However this is probably about 10-20% of the work vs that idea. The server uses webhooks for businesses, solicitor contact and staff functions. They're already well used and understood in terms of their functionality and capability and in compromise that your suggestion could be quite time consuming, I felt a more straight forward option  was worth suggesting.

As I also said, I've seen the occasional event posted on Discord for a party, the auction coming up for example  and would have otherwise missed this information as I had not been in game. Tweedle posts only really last an hour or two at most so no long-term means of monitoring events etc. Realistically someone is not going to be so cut off from the world to miss opportunities and encouraging players onto the server is only a positive thing, imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't bother having it go to discord, in my opinion there's no reason that channel should still be allowed for FiveM, it was purely a remnant of the Arma server that FiveM players just kind of claimed.

Have this, but have it all in-game, whether it be an app on the phone or a physical thing somewhere on the map where you can bring up a UI of all the cars for sale etc etc.

To be clear. If out of both options, either options were equally possible with the same amount of effort etc then thein-game option would be what I want to see too, to come away from Discord.

However, weighing up the work involved for my suggestion, it's still an improvement even if it's not a full fancy in-game integration. 

My idea;

UI with form created
Send data to Webhook to display in particular format (similar to my image in original post)
Done

In game idea

Phone UI for it needs to be made
Database design to store this new data (thus increased number of queries to a db)
Setting up a larger number of functions and server/client events to display and submit

Rejected - Auction Room Removed, Market App Added

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back