What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

Cheap Water Cooling?

Frisky Hen

The Only Hen with a Cock
Heyo folks, 

So fairly sure I've fecked my wee little cpu fan as I've been getting fluctuating heats (sometimes 100 degrees while not being overclocked). So reckon I need a new fan/cooler. I've been told you need a water cooling system to overclock at all so I think that might be the way to go. 

Current System -

CPU - Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.20GHz 

Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660

Memory - 8gb DDR3 (can't remember make) 

PSU - 850w (can't remember make) 

Unfortunately I am a very poor drunk Irishman so I won't have too much cash to spend. Also, I'm considering getting this SSD so funds are going to be even more skint. Cheaper the better but I reckon I could go to a max of 40-50pounds... very max. 

I know that's not much to work with but is there anything I could get for that? Thanks folks!! 

Edit : Derp, forgot to link the SSD http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-120GB-Solid-2-5-inch/dp/B00A1ZTZOG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1445904451&sr=8-2&keywords=ssd

Last edited by a moderator:
If you could stretch the budget you could get an H80iGT or another Corsair AIO closed-loop cooler. You dont need water cooling to overclock though, a high-end air cooler will do it too.

edit: CPU cooling is not something you should skimp or cheap out on.

Cheers for the reply. Bit too pricey for me. I know it's something I shouldn't really skimp on but when you're poor as poor can be what choice do you have? :p  

Unless you have the wrong CPU listed that isnt unlocked, a cpu with the k in the title is i.e i7 3972k. point being. its very hard to overclock (well) a non unlocked processor. there are guides on how to do it though so its not impossible. 

That aside. A decent air cooler can be on par with a liquid cooler with low or no overclock and they can be quieter (fewer moving parts).

But for your budget I dont think a liquid cooler is probably going to work, unless ebay. and equally is unnescesary in terms of cooling performance. 

cheapest and best air cooler IMO cooler master hyper evo 212 also the best value cooler ever or something, has 5 star ratings everywhere. -£25  http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0068OI7T8/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=1HF8DHC2DT11BSKXXWTJ&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=577048787&pf_rd_i=desktop

slightly more expensive but, I can say from experience, this cooler is quiet and very very good in terms of cooling performance - zalman 9900 -£35 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zalman-CNPS9900A-Blue-LED-Heatsink/dp/B002JAT63G/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1445914001&sr=1-4&keywords=zalman+9900 

if you can spare the cash i cant reccomend this enough, the dark rock pro 3 on par with most AIO liquid coolers at even a medium overclock and very silent- £60http://www.amazon.co.uk/quiet-BK019-Heatsink-Sockets-Silent/dp/B00HPX7J4K/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1445914124&sr=1-2&keywords=dark+rock+3 

For the CPU you've said I really wouldn't bother with aftermarket CPU cooling, especially if the budget is very tight. Before spending any significant amount of money I would recommend reseating your current CPU cooler. That is remove it, clean both the CPU and cooler interface with a lint free cloth. You can the apply thermal paste in your favourite method (YouTube if you're unfamiliar) and Reattach the cooler. (Removing dust from it might be an idea too before putting it back on)

it is boarder line impossible to break an air CPU cooler, short of snapping blades off the fan. The CPU fan reports its speed to the motherboard and if this does not fall within the set limits your bios will give you an error and should shut down your PC (unless you have manually turned this feature off in the bios).

If you have managed to break your cooler, then I'd recommend the hyper 212 Evo as arrogant bread suggested. My i7 is heavy overclocked under one with corsair sp fans in push pull and it performs better than my old h80 water cooler.... There is no noticeable difference in noise and I'd say at low temperatures the hyper 212 is quieter using non stock fans as the whine from the pump is removed

The 212Evo Should be fantastic for your CPU Frisky! I see you too grace our lovely island of Ireland - If you're not far from me in the north i have spare thermal paste should you need any or other misc computer help!

The evo is horrible to install tough. really was struggeling with my first build.
Can't be any tougher than something like the BeQuiet coolers - their backplate screws onto the cooler from the rear, and is padded so as you're putting pressure on the cooler side to engage the screwthread, you're also slowly pushing the screws out the back. Definitely easier with 2 pairs of hands.

Back