What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

CPU

Conor Barcoe

Hello, i would like to know which Intel processor would be best for arma 3, currently i only have an i5-2400 3.1Ghz, and it runs arma like shit (10-20 fps average on this server). So i was wondering what CPU would be best for an affordable price but with a noticeable difference, i have an 1155 socket.

Hello, i would like to know which Intel processor would be best for arma 3, currently i only have an i5-2400 3.1Ghz, and it runs arma like shit (10-20 fps average on this server). So i was wondering what CPU would be best for an affordable price but with a noticeable difference, i have an 1155 socket.
I have the I7 4790k, i highly recommend it.  I run all ultra settings, 60 fps with 1440p along with my 980TI

Last edited by a moderator:
It is 4 - 4.4 ghz and can be overclocked. The highest overclock i have managed to get on it is 4.5 ghz that was stable with my water cooling but i dont recommend it. It runs games absolutey fine not overclocked and it is an amazing cpu in my opinion. I know a lot of people have this cpu and it was worth every penny that i paid for it.

It is 4 - 4.4 ghz and can be overclocked. The highest overclock i have managed to get on it is 4.5 ghz that was stable with my water cooling but i dont recommend it. It runs games absolutey fine not overclocked and it is an amazing cpu in my opinion. I know a lot of people have this cpu and a lot of people recommend it 
if i did get this cpu, do you think i would also need a new gpu i currently have a gtx 960 2gigs

if i did get this cpu, do you think i would also need a new gpu i currently have a gtx 960 2gigs
There would be a very small bottleneck i think but i dont think it would effect you to a point where a new GPU is absolutely needed. You can always upgrade GPU's in the future if it is a problem

There would be a very small bottleneck i think but i dont think it would effect you to a point where a new GPU is absolutely needed. You can always upgrade GPU's in the future if it is a problem
ok thank you, time to start saving up :p

ok thank you, time to start saving up :p
Yeah, good luck. It is a great CPU and in my opinion worth every single penny. 

@dankdogeThe only problem is you would need a new motherboard as the socket required for it is LGA 1150

Yeah, good luck. It is a great CPU and in my opinion worth every single penny. 

@dankdogeThe only problem is you would need a new motherboard as the socket required for it is LGA 1150
when replacing the motherboard do will things like my power supply and graphics card fit or do they require certain sockets that the LGA 1150 wont have?

when replacing the motherboard do will things like my power supply and graphics card fit or do they require certain sockets that the LGA 1150 wont have?
Your graphics card and power supply should be fine, they dont have sockets unlike the cpu 

Your graphics card and power supply should be fine, they dont have sockets unlike the cpu 
ok thanks, i have only ever had one computer and i havent bought parts for it before, whats the difference between motherboards, there are some that cost $100 and some that cost $40

ok thanks, i have only ever had one computer and i havent bought parts for it before, whats the difference between motherboards, there are some that cost $100 and some that cost $40
Nothing much really but some support DDR3 Ram and other support DDR4 Rami will link you to the one i have now, btw how big is your computer case ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-Z97P-D3-LGA1150-Motherboard-USB3-0/dp/B00K9R1OCW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474223032&sr=8-1&keywords=gigabyte+motherboard

@dankdogejust to chime in on this - if you want to keep your existing Motherboard for ease - an I7 2700k or I7-3770k is the best cpu you can fit in the 1155 socket, the 2700k has the best Single-Thread-Performance rating and is a drop-in replacement.

A I5-2500k is also the same socket and a bit cheaper than the other two mentioned above. Any 'K' series intel processer has what's called an 'unlocked multiplier' which means you can easily overlcok the CPU by increasing the core multiplier count, provided your motherboard supports the feature.

If you are upgrading to a new CPU+Mobo, you might as well get a 6600k or 6700k as these are the latest series and will (in theory) last you longer than a 2xxx, 3xxx, or 4xxx series, though I have a 4790k myself and it's a good strong CPU.

As for the difference between motherboards which cost $40 to those that cost $100, there isn't a HUGE amount of difference, it's mostly on some features such as Available outputs on the back plate, number of PCI-E slots (for GFX cards etc). I.e. some higher-end boards will have more outputs, maybe built in wifi etc. Some bigger ones will support 3 or 4 GFX cards etc.

Basically pick a board with the same Socket as the CPU you want to use, ensure it has 1 PCI-E slot for your graphics card (a 960 uses PCI-E 3.0, but is backwards compatible with others) and you're more of less good to go. The 6600k/6700k cpus use DDR4 memory so you'll need new memory if you go that route.

Almost all (99%) of motherboards available use the 'ATX' standard to define their size, and pretty much all PC cases are 'ATX' compatible. The majority of consumer motherboards are usually the same size, and your PC case should have pre-fitted holes that it will line up with. I suggest you watch a couple of PC building videos on youtube, this will give you an idea. It's not difficult, but can be a tiny bit scary if it's not something you've done often.

@dankdogejust to chime in on this - if you want to keep your existing Motherboard for ease - an I7 2700k or I7-3770k is the best cpu you can fit in the 1155 socket, the 2700k has the best Single-Thread-Performance rating and is a drop-in replacement.

A I5-2500k is also the same socket and a bit cheaper than the other two mentioned above. Any 'K' series intel processer has what's called an 'unlocked multiplier' which means you can easily overlcok the CPU by increasing the core multiplier count, provided your motherboard supports the feature.

If you are upgrading to a new CPU+Mobo, you might as well get a 6600k or 6700k as these are the latest series and will (in theory) last you longer than a 2xxx, 3xxx, or 4xxx series, though I have a 4790k myself and it's a good strong CPU.

As for the difference between motherboards which cost $40 to those that cost $100, there isn't a HUGE amount of difference, it's mostly on some features such as Available outputs on the back plate, number of PCI-E slots (for GFX cards etc). I.e. some higher-end boards will have more outputs, maybe built in wifi etc. Some bigger ones will support 3 or 4 GFX cards etc.

Basically pick a board with the same Socket as the CPU you want to use, ensure it has 1 PCI-E slot for your graphics card (a 960 uses PCI-E 3.0, but is backwards compatible with others) and you're more of less good to go. The 6600k/6700k cpus use DDR4 memory so you'll need new memory if you go that route.

Almost all (99%) of motherboards available use the 'ATX' standard to define their size, and pretty much all PC cases are 'ATX' compatible. The majority of consumer motherboards are usually the same size, and your PC case should have pre-fitted holes that it will line up with. I suggest you watch a couple of PC building videos on youtube, this will give you an idea. It's not difficult, but can be a tiny bit scary if it's not something you've done often.
Yes, i just dont want to spend $300+ and not be able to use the part i have bought, is the 6700k better than the 4790k, the 6700k is about $30 cheaper and supports ddr3

http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117559&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleUKAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleUKAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Processors+-+Desktops-_-N82E16819117559&gclid=CjwKEAjwmf6-BRDi9fSN7Ijt1wUSJAASawcjojbo4h1Bjp-SRy7pZVsusvgNK6VuXFwbowqO_P_q1RoCV4zw_wcB

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KPRWAX8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Back