What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

Depression - We need to intervine

James Travers

Travers
This is a thread which I've wanted to make for a while now since the suicide of a family  member and I've finally gotten around to making it. I would like to discuss the big bad thing we all know as depression as well as its main cause, Bullying, How to deal with it, how to seek help, who to speak to, how to help prevent it and what to do when you know someone who is depressed. I apologize in advance for this thread being so dark and if anyone is affected by anything said in this thread do not hesitate to message me.

Let me start off with some facts:

• There are over 300 million people of all ages sufforing from depression
  • Over 800,000 people die due to suicide every year
  • 1 in 23 people suffor from depression (due to this out of 50,500 members registered on the forums there could be up to 2195 people sufforing from depression within this community alone)
  • Suicide is the leading cause of death in 15-29 year olds
I want to expand on these facts as I believe they are very important and should be focused on. 800,000 people die every year to suicide. That is a mind blowing amount of people that die every year from taking their own lives, that's 800,000 people that could be saved with the correct help. The disheartening thing is that most people are more than capable of helping those down in the dumps but they simply cannot be bothered to. That's why, if you are one of those people please I beg of you, if you aknowladge bullying or someone with depression please do something, intervine even just talk. You never know you might be saving a life.
                The other fact I wish to address is suicide being the leading cause of death in 15-29 year olds. These are young people with their whole lives ahead of them, they have so much time to achieve whatever goals they have visit whatever places they want to see and live a good life. But sadly, in too many cases depression takes over your life. A lot of these cases are related to bullying, financial issues and family issues.

Bullying:

Bullying is one of the most dangerous and disgusting acts someone can perform on another human being. Bullying is a leading cause to depression and suicide in young people and the sad thing is, most don't even know their guilty of bullying someone. You could come out with a comment which you believe is just a bit of fun but you might really be hurting someone inside, that's something we need to stop being so insensitive to and start thinking before we speak, put yourself in the other person's shoes. How would you feel if you were mocked constantly for things you have no control over, your Appearance, Family, Financial status. You'd feel down in the dumps and depressed. This is the issue with bullying and why it's so dangerous. And now that the internet is around it's even more dangerous.
               Cyber Bullying. Something which has sadly become more and more popular over the last 5-10 years. Cyber bullying is utilised by people who can only be described as cowards. 'Keyboard Warriors' they take to the internet, use a false name and proceed to make hate comments, fake accounts and do many other things online whilst still remaining anonymous. This is the sad reality which goes with Cyber Bullying, it's becoming more and more popular, and what are we doing to stop it? Nothing. Recently a young woman from my region who was 21 years of age took her own life after going through 8 years of bullying and more specifically cyber bullying. It's becoming far too common that people are committing suicide, getting bullied and sufforing with depression. WE NEED TO INTERVENE NOW. And please if you do notice bullying, especially within this community, report it to a member of Staff immediately and they will deal with it accordingly. Thank You.

Prevention:

I like to say prevention is better than cure. So what can we do to prevent people sufforing from depression. The reality is, there are very simple things that you can do in your school, university, workplace etc. which can help significantly. Do you ever notice that kid sitting at a table by himself in every class and doesn't have any friends? I'm sure you have noticed someone like that and it really can be as simple as sitting beside that person, starting a conversation, getting to know them. They might be lonely and all they need for you to do is be their friend and give them a bit of company, this doesn't only apply to young people but to elderly people also. Many, many elderly people suffor from loneliness which also leads to depression. That old man or woman living next door to you, speak to them, have a chat you would be really surprised what stories some elderly people have, you could sit there for hours on end just listening to them. It is really just as simply as that, small gestures, talking to people and making them feel wanted that makes all the difference.

How To Deal With Depression:

Depression is not easy to deal with, but you don't need to handle it on your own. No matter who you are or where you are there is help out there for you. At times you may feel unwanted, worthless, a waste of space and you just want to throw the towel in and end it all. But trust me it's not worth it.
          I'm going to do something I haven't ever done online before and I'm going to open up about my personal life. I'm Alex James Travers, I'm 15 years of age and you guessed it, I used to suffor from depression. Since the age of 8 I have been bullied physically and mentally. I've reached low points many times and have been on my death bed 3 times due to suicide attempts. But trust me, it's not worth it.
          As someone who finds it difficult to speak to people about my issues I bottled everything up for years which is hands down one of the worst things you can possibly do. Speak about your problems, speak to friends, family, teachers, co-workers, heck even talk to a member of staff on here, they'd be more than happy to help and I am always willing to help to the best of my ability as well. Speak about your problems, get it off your chest and you WILL feel better. No problem will go unsolved.

What to do when you know someone is depressed or suicidal:

We may or may not know someone who has or does suffor from depression or had suicidal thoughts at some point. What you need to do is talk to them, be extra nice and extra careful about what you say. Try to help them reach solutions to their problems, reassure them that everything is going to be alright and always be supportive of them. As someone who suffored with depression, it's relentless how many negative people there are abouts that have a negative impact on you, you need to stay positive! And make the person feel wanted, that's the key thing. Many people who are suicidal feel worthless, you just have to fulfil the task of reminding them that their not.

Useful Phone Numbers:

Samaritans - 116 123
Childline - 0800 1111

If you have read this post, firstly I thank you for being so patient in reading the full post.
I would be very happy if even 1, just 1 person was affected by this post. I don't know if it will make a difference, but all I can do is try to the best of my ability.

Thank you,
- Alex James Travers.

I would like to add to you're point @James Travers I have been part of the community for a very long time and have spoken to alot of people on this community who have suffered from depression. Always remember there are people on this community who will gladly be there for you, as staff back then people came to me and shared there problems and I was always happy to try and help them out. So the main thing i'd say from my point of view is do not bottle it up, speak to people who you consider close or even someone who can be trusted I.E staff. 

I only saw this just now but I am glad I did. This post and the lesson it's trying to teach the community is one of such great value. Those suffering from a depression, please know that you're not alone.

I thank you in particular, Alex (James Travers), for being so brave. You used a part of your own history and experience to try and help others, which is something to be proud of.

Trust me when I say you're not alone. I have been fighting my demons (depression, anxiety, PTSD) for a long time. A few weeks ago I tried to commit suicide. I felt I had no power anymore to fight all the bad things. I kept wondering if anyone would even care, thinking they might be better of without me, that they wouldn't even notice if I was gone. Foolish of course as we all have loved ones. My family and this community are right now what's keeping me afloat in a sense, despite the stress this community can sometimes give.

I am telling you this story not for sympathy, but to show you that there are people out there who are like you, who have demons to fight, who know what it's like to not have the will or energy to take care of yourself.

I have found help.

Please do so too if you need it!

Very brave of you Alex.

I just want to say that I am glad that people actually talk about this since is not a minor issue but a big deal.

Depression can be hard but before doing any actions try consider thinking about how bad it would be for the people around you? Not how good!

You mean soo much for some people! Family, friends etc.

Definetly not worth it even if life sucks at that moment.

Sucide is taken as a joke nowadays and it actually triggers alot of people to try it!

Alex,

You are a kid that is liked by your family, friends and this Community.

Nalurah,

A helpfull and nice person,

This community definetly loves you and so does your family!

Everybody stop bullying it is an act of evilness and the worst you can do!

Getting hit is Physical and goes away.

Bullying is in your mind and will never go away!

Apreciate people near you, and even if you bully to not get bullied try to think about if it was you and why you're doing it!

Standup support eachother!

Nobody wants to see a friend or family member go!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to point out, that even if you are not a victim of bullying, you can still help out the people who help the victims. Many of these hotlines accept donations that can go to helping the victims.

Great post. your lesson here will help people even if they don't know it me being a bullying victim myself know it is hard to overcome but you can do it i was victim of school bullying with people call me names fat and other things but iv understood these are 15 14 year olds and to ignore them  and occanaly still get these as im still in school atm even though i have overcoome some people have not .this is why everyone needs to know  to love just being you and everyonr should love being themselves  even in the hard times everyone you love care about you. great job @James Travers @Ayub Ahm3d @Nalurah I think it's important to know others story's  and to know there's help so others understand they are not alone in issues like bullying and other people suffer from things like that them selves and there's always help this community as a whole helps people for me personaly this community provided a sancuary to were i could gp to have some good times when i did have issues like bullying and everyone here does care about you even if you think othee wise  in our life we all have issues but as bear grills says we need to improvise adapt overcome and I hope sharing my exspirence and other people to to show people your not alone and to know people do care about you  thanks for posting this James as I think a lot of good will come to help people thanks everyone 

Reagan 

Some other links that might be useful, specifically to do with cyber-bullying. All applicable to the UK (because that's where I'm from), but I expect there are other national support sites in other countries - feel free to post them.

https://www.bullying.co.uk/cyberbullying/what-is-cyberbullying/

https://www.kidscape.org.uk/advice/advice-for-parents-and-carers/internet-safety-and-addressing-online-risk/reporting-cyber-bullying/

http://nationalbullyinghelpline.co.uk/

I'll just add an excerpt from one of them, which highlights some of the issues involved in deal with cyber-bullying:

Cyber bullying is not a specific criminal offence in the UK. However, incidents which are considered as harassment, threats or menacing communication may be an offence under the following acts:

• Protection from Harassment Act (1997)
  • Malicious Communications Act (1988)
  • Communications Act (2003)
  • Obscene Publications Act (1959)
  • Computer Misuse Act (1990)
For more information about whether the police can help, contact your local station.
It's also worth remembering that Roleplay UK will always cooperate fully with police in any investigation into breaches of those laws, where it concerns any member of our community, past or present, victim or perpetrator. Our aim is always to shut it down as soon as it is detected, and prevent it from occurring again, as far as is humanly possible, within the limits of the law. If you are affected by any of the above, remember you are welcome to contact us - whilst we cannot legally give you any data ourselves, we are more than happy to assist in any police enquiry that may be underway, and have done so more than once in the past.

Back