What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

Discussion: How to stop people from caring about losing situations?

Like aqnr suggested, one of the issues is the only way to really make money is to sit and drive a taxi for a whole day or sit on a bike and sell drugs. It becomes boring pretty fast which leads to.. "If I loose this gun I will have to sit in a taxi for 2 days to grind for it back" If there was a variation in ways to make money for civ and crim (i'm not suggesting to make it easy to make money) it may lead to less "gear fear" in the terms of you will do anything to try and win a situation to prevent yourself losing an item you've spent hours grinding for.

This issue will always exist. 

On Arma it was the mentality of caring about your kit not your life - if I am going to die/get taken hostage I would rather just 180 and maybe get a kill or two rather than just give it up. A "similar" menality will appear on FiveM because the dynamics are similar (A life RP server with a functioning economy)

You need to make kit cheaper and people will give it up in the name of RP is ultimately what I can say through my experience on life servers. As a cop (on arma) i would not mind being taken hostage because my gear meant nothing so it was an enjoyable encounter. As a rebel on there, I would rather taken a fight I would 100% lose because it is more fun than throwing an expensive kit down the drain. The same sort of scenario will always occur on FiveM (although in a different style due to the rules you must follow).

End of the day where there is an economy which makes things hard to get, people will be less happy to just hand it over. If you were to make pistols cost 10k right now, there would be an signficant increase in true RPers who will improve their RP because ultimately their gear means a lot less to them, whilst at the same time there would be a signficant increase in idiots running around with pistols - you see the obvious problem. 

Gear is expensive = Winning > RP

Gear is cheap = Too many idiots who would then go the other way and not care about their life because gear is cheap. 

Ultimately, weapons should be somewhat attainable whilst not costing the price of a half decent car (IDK much about FiveM but at one point I thought pistols would sell for over 100k - that is the price of a half decent car)

You see the problem - when permanent equipment (cars) cost the same as temporary equipment you could lose in an instance, that temporary equipment becomes what you value, not the RP story you are meant to be persuing. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Counter argument, Its meant to be a UK server, not a US server. Guns are meant to be hard to get. : ) 
Tbh its a game end of the day everyone comes to enjoy, its a uk server but a lot of things in it aren't uk based, and me personally you need to have experienced both sides properly before you can make a judgment, as cop you essentially buy your food and repair kits other than that everything else is free, as a crim nothing is free and have to put time and effort and losing it in a blink of an eye is quite troublesome,  Gangs have essentially access to so much compared to your normal average player however gangs have a significant impact on the server and adding these little things could essentially improve the long term base of gangs. 

Completely agree with @Simon Rosshere, it is a balance between things becoming too expensive or too cheap and at the end of the day time is money. If someone wants to come and RP that is brilliant but they normally want tools to assist their RP; zipties, weapons, cars, all of that they need to pay for and if they don't have the time to work to get it or don't enjoy spending time to get it then they're gonna value that stuff more.

As a cop almost all my stuff is free same as on Altis, I didn't like being held hostage without people interacting with, I didn't like waiting dead on the floor waiting to respawn, all these things take time away from the stuff that you want to do like talking to people or patrolling. Then on FiveM, I don't like waiting in the queue, I don't like waiting in a hospital bed to be revived. There's always things that take away time from what you want to do like all of these or just grinding for money.

But then again the stuff that you don't want to do is really important for the experience, there should some risk i.e. not wanting to do more taxiing, so that people consider their actions and don't just do stuff cause well who cares. There always need to be a balance and that balance is just so fine that realistically it can't be achieved we can just do our best to encourage the RP and value the RP over our gear and recognise what we're getting in exchange for our time.

For a combat pistol now, you'd pay anywhere between 200-250k if you're not in a gang. @Simon Ross

Playing as a criminal and doing my own thing away from the gang, I'd only ever take out the pistol if I really needed to but 95% of the time, I'd manage just as well without it. Participating in beef with gangs (like the vagos vs coalition now), there is no possible way for you to avoid losing stuff unless a miracle happens and somehow you get to keep it. I know where you coming from, crims just running around with guns robbing everything and everyone but, you're never going to get rid of them.

It's just one of these things that you will always have to deal with, and never find a solution for unless you take away the weapons completely. Don't punish the gangs because some Andy that has been on the server for 2 weeks and is ruining it for everybody. Weapons are part of the gangs story and image, and it doesn't make sense for gangs to grind for hours on end to afford anything. They've already worked hard enough to get what they have so why make them work twice as hard for something that is literally a part of them (one of the reasons why cheap engraved weapons should be cheaper at least). Nobody said all the weapons should be cheap, big guns should always stay expensive. @Zulufighter

Everybody always says how privileged all the gangs are but to be honest, we're not that much different from any crim that plays the server. We still have to work just as hard as any other person, to get anything at all. We don't get anything for free unless we put the work into the process (the coke runs of course are free, however we still have to grind and contest it with all the gangs on the server). We try our best to represent the server in the best way possible and make it an enjoyable place for everybody to be a part of, but the grind takes away A LOT from that experience.

For a combat pistol now, you'd pay anywhere between 200-250k if you're not in a gang.
The price is the same for gangs atleast from what i am aware of, and if gangs sell it to civs they can't really sell it for much more than what they get it for because the prices are already expensive as fuck hence why the prices for CIV and gangs are almost the same if not the same with only like 20k diffrence.

Back