What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

do I upgrade CPU or GPU

JSt4r

Banned
so I wanna upgrade either my CPU of GPU, currently my CPU is an i5 4460, and my GPU is a 750ti. I am thinking of upgrading to a i7 4790k or a nvidia 970. which should I go 4

CPU you can always overclock and it won't be far off the CPU you want to buy. I recommend getting the GPU.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's just for ArmA, CPU 100%, its a 32 bit program and heavily CPU dependant. If you're also focused around other games a lot, consider the 970

so I wanna upgrade either my CPU of GPU, currently my CPU is an i5 4460, and my GPU is a 750ti. I am thinking of upgrading to a i7 4790k or a nvidia 970. which should I go 4
To be honest, most upgrades are an entirely personal choice and depend on your usage. If your main game is ArmA I'd upgrade CPU, the 750TI is a perfectly acceptable card for arma, and a cpu upgrade should increase performance.

However, if you mainly play other games (aka games which have been developed correctly xD), you'll probably wanna upgrade the GPU, though again the CPU upgrade will still help.

If you go for the CPU upgrade, make sure you have a decent cooler if you want to overclock, as the 4790k has a lot of OC potential usually.

- Marc

the absolute best upgrade cycle I personally would recommend the following

rtwxa9O.jpg

This seriously improves airflow around the machine and allows for some serious overclocking, this baby handles like the bees fucking knees (pre extinction).

Although, if you want to seriously speed it up check out this shit.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/191886375708?lpid=122&chn=ps&googleloc=1006583&poi=&campaignid=620794543&device=c&adgroupid=27377119746&rlsatarget=pla-181479807426&adtype=pla&crdt=0

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are people getting the 900 cards still?

get the 1070 or 1060 it's not that much more in price and will last you a lot longer.

Why are people getting the 900 cards still?

get the 1070 or 1060 it's not that much more in price and will last you a lot longer.
Didn't even read the GPU choice, nice catch xD

Yes, a 1060 will be a better choice, although slightly more expensive. Also won't last a lot longer, but does have about 10-15% better performance than a 970. It's a better choice if you won't be looking to upgrade for a long time after this.

Still though, for ArmA a CPU upgrade will be better than either of those choices xD

To give you a rough comparison with my machine.

I5 3570K 3.4Ghz factory clocked to run at 4.3Ghz

GTX 970 gpu

16gb ram

It shits out a steady 60 frames that only drops to 40 when too many hobos park cars on top of each other and they all blow up in Kavala.

Yes Arma is CPU intensive, but there are a whole load of factors which have an impact on how well your CPU handles the load.  Is the CPU cool enough to push itself or throttling back due to heating issues, does it have enough memory to push stuff around in, is the motherboard letting it hit it's potential.  Same goes for GPU and heat, has the case got sufficient cooling or is it a birds nest of wires with few vents and one fan, or maybe your power supply is insufficient to allow it to run at max.

In all honesty without a full system spec it is a tough question to answer, as all of those variables could flip a good decision to a bad one.

My best advice would be to take a look at the cheap stuff first like power supply and cooling, maybe adding water cooling and a better case with stronger fans would do it if the CPU/GPU is running too hot at the moment.

If the temps look fine for your CPU and GPU then look into overclocking the CPU, I think the I5 needs to be a K version (ggogle it) but that might give it the extra grunt it needs.  Don't go mad though, overclocking can bring in a lot of instability to get some good advice if you haven't done it before (mine was built and delivered overclocked so it is safe and stable).

After looking through those options I have a gut feeling your GPU may still be holding it back a bit, especially if it a relatively low memory GPU.  In that case the 970 is a very good price for a big improvement and I don't struggle at all on any game to good frames.... and by good I mean 30fps plus as a steady minimum.

As regards 1070 vs 970, the price is more or less double with a 1070 coming in over £400 and 970 at less than £200, buy what fits your budget.  The 1060 is somewhere in the middle, but that extra £100 might be better spent on cooling, CPU or another upgrade otherwise you might find the 10XX card is getting bottlenecked by the rest of your system and there is little point paying for power that can't be used.

I5 3570K 3.4Ghz factory clocked to run at 4.3Ghz

GTX 970 gpu

16gb ram

It shits out a steady 60 frames that only drops to 40 when too many hobos park cars on top of each other and they all blow up in Kavala.
To be perfectly honest, I don't see that hardware getting 60FPS on Altis Life. Maybe a single player mission with minimal entities, but I would love to see proof of a steady 60fps on server 1.

Yes Arma is CPU intensive, but there are a whole load of factors which have an impact on how well your CPU handles the load.  Is the CPU cool enough to push itself or throttling back due to heating issues, does it have enough memory to push stuff around in, is the motherboard letting it hit it's potential.  Same goes for GPU and heat, has the case got sufficient cooling or is it a birds nest of wires with few vents and one fan, or maybe your power supply is insufficient to allow it to run at max.

In all honesty without a full system spec it is a tough question to answer, as all of those variables could flip a good decision to a bad one.
Yes, you're correct in saying there are multiple factors which affect CPU performance. However, with any standard system setup and with this being a simple question of an upgrade of CPU or GPU, basically none of these factors come into play. Thermal throttling could be an issue if the new upgrade puts out more heat than previously and the cooling can't disperse the heat quickly enough, but with most systems it's not an issue.

My best advice would be to take a look at the cheap stuff first like power supply and cooling, maybe adding water cooling and a better case with stronger fans would do it if the CPU/GPU is running too hot at the moment.
He never said that there were any temperature issues currently, what makes you believe that there would be? Also, a PSU upgrade would only be necessary if the current PSU is maxed out and the new components use more power. Which is unlikely, but good to check before an upgrade.

If the temps look fine for your CPU and GPU then look into overclocking the CPU, I think the I5 needs to be a K version (ggogle it) but that might give it the extra grunt it needs.  Don't go mad though, overclocking can bring in a lot of instability to get some good advice if you haven't done it before (mine was built and delivered overclocked so it is safe and stable).
Well with the specs he provided, he doesn't have a K edition CPU, which makes things significantly more difficult when overclocking. Also, he's looking for an upgrade, not pushing his current hardware harder. Although, overclocking a K edition CPU is a good idea if comfortable doing it. Most modern motherboards have a basic overclock function that usually comes out stable. There is also software overclocks, but I tend to avoid them.

After looking through those options I have a gut feeling your GPU may still be holding it back a bit, especially if it a relatively low memory GPU.  In that case the 970 is a very good price for a big improvement and I don't struggle at all on any game to good frames.... and by good I mean 30fps plus as a steady minimum.
Both CPU and GPU is holding him back there. If playing ArmA, it is very likely the CPU which is the bottleneck, which is why that suggestion was given multiple times in this thread. The GPU upgrade is only really the first choice if playing mainly other games than ArmA.

As regards 1070 vs 970, the price is more or less double with a 1070 coming in over £400 and 970 at less than £200, buy what fits your budget.  The 1060 is somewhere in the middle, but that extra £100 might be better spent on cooling, CPU or another upgrade otherwise you might find the 10XX card is getting bottlenecked by the rest of your system and there is little point paying for power that can't be used.
The question was more about 1060 vs 970 earlier in the thread to be honest. And with 1060's starting at about £220, it's not much more expensive than a 970. The price / performance ratio is very similar for both cards, but the more expensive one will last slightly longer.

To be honest, most of what you said wasn't relevant, this thread is a basic question which implies a basic answer is needed. If playing ArmA, CPU... if playing other games mainly, GPU upgrade and a potential switch to AMD CPU in future due to price / performance when not buying enthusiast level hardware.

- Marc

The question was more about 1060 vs 970 earlier in the thread to be honest. And with 1060's starting at about £220, it's not much more expensive than a 970. The price / performance ratio is very similar for both cards, but the more expensive one will last slightly longer.
Just to rock the boat, what about a RX480 :D

CPU 

you have good good gpu and well you should get balance between the cpu and gpu so ill say go with the cpu because like i have legit gpu but my screen is shitty so i may not getting the best gpu can give because my screen cant provide me that quality well you got my point i say go with cpu because you need to get some kins of balance!

Back