What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

download speed

Bat Thumb

Hey,

wondering if anyone has any idea's on how to increase my download speed? I'm paying for 75mbps download and 10mbps up, the router is showing as receiving around 50mbps but pc is only receiving around 10 down, I've shut off all other devices to see if this has been making a difference but nothing gives, my drivers are all up to date and this has only been happening for the past week or so...

notes:

Pc usually receives around 47mbps down

no changes to pc or location or router

any idea's apreciated

If you're using wireless that will most likely be your issue, if possible create a wired connection directly or if not try purchasing a power line adapter that lets you run ethernet through your plug sockets for a steady connection. Once you check your network status you should see it running at a single speed for instance mine stays steady at 100mbps for my powerline adapter which is fine for me as i only have 14mbps download. As long as your connection speed stays the same or higher than the speed you pay for you should be fine, if you don't seem to still get the speed you want run a test at speedtest.net to see your current download and if it's too low contact your isp.

Thank's guys, its fluctuating and tested nearly everything so not sure what the issue is, think I'm gonna do some drilling over the weekend and drag a ton of cable through my house to create a wired connection :p

In terms of what I'm paying for I'm really not getting it but I work in a place that sells broadband among other things so got a really good deal and downgrading the speed to what I'd actually get would result in me paying more.

can't really beat sky's biggest broadband package, full tv package and evening and weekend calls for only £23 a month :p 

Ok going off your answer I am assuming the answer is :Yes I am using wireless.

To reference what cloud has stated above if you want to avoid drilling holes everywhere you can use a ethernet over power, they cost about £30-£60 depending on your needs and in all honesty are perfectly fine for your needs.

Its better than wireless but not as good as a cable.

can't really beat sky's biggest broadband package, full tv package and evening and weekend calls for only £23 a month :p 
Sky is not a good broadband provider, but with the discount you got included its a good price.

you pay for UP TO 75. You may find due to cabinet over-subcription, shit quality 'last-mile' cable, distance from VDSL cab to exch, etc. that you just cant get the elusive 75mbit.

I'm in the same boat, sometimes my router connects at 60mbit - but the amount of error correction being performed is ridiculous. Then it reconnects around 55mbit and it's fine.

A wired connection from PC to router will give you a small boost, but it wont magically jump from 50 to 75. Due to the structure of VDSL networks and how lines are re-sold through openreach, you will little to no benefit jumping from say Sky to Plusnet to TalkTalk etc. as they all use the same core network provided by BT Wholesale/Openreach. The only ISP that would give you a difference is switch to Virgin Media as that's co-ax Cable using a tech called DOCSIS instead of VDSL delivered by phone line copper pair. It's totally distinct and a vastly different setup. Hence why virgin can offer you 200mbit (and with cable generally what you're offered is what you get due to the higher bandwidth) however their customer service can be ropey.

Personally, I am very much looking forward to switching back from VDSL to cable. Paying £35 for 80mbit, barely getting 50-60% of that regularly. Where as I can pay the same for 200mbit cable and it'll be more or less on the money. My co-worker had it installed, pulls 220mbit down. Cannae wait lad.

TLDR: VDSL line speeds are a blindfolded shot at a dart board.

That feeling when you complain about theese speeds and I am happy when my down is 0,7 MB/s . 75 Mb/s is an up to thing as its speed said,the only thing you've guarannteed is that it won't be 0 or 100 Mb/s . Drilling cable ports isn't exactly a very hard thing to do,especially if you don't have concrete walls all over the place.

That feeling when you complain about theese speeds and I am happy when my down is 0,7 MB/s . 75 Mb/s is an up to thing as its speed said,the only thing you've guarannteed is that it won't be 0 or 100 Mb/s . Drilling cable ports isn't exactly a very hard thing to do,especially if you don't have concrete walls all over the place.
Its not complaining about the speed its complaining about not getting the speed one should be getting. :)

Yeah as everyone said, wireless completely takes a tank in your internet speed, which is unfortunate but however.

Back