What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

Friend banned and can't join forum

Dogs

Hi, my friend got a ban for no reason the other night, he drove in athira over the car collection point, and im to presume someone spawned acar in at the same time as the whole place went up in smoke and a big boom, then instantly he got a trolling ban ??
He has tried joining the forum but he can't start any new threads to put his case forward.
He is also new to the game and only just bought arma 3, if anyone can shed some light on this :)
His in game name is     Dougs

Many thanks for your time

Dogs

+1. Doug is a good chap, I've played DayZ with him. He has not played Altis life before so he does not know the ropes yet, bless him. I will guide him through if it's possible to unban him! 

^^ Ditto, Doug is a new player and hasn't had to chance to actually play the game, banned on his first appearance for nothing intentional. Rules are rules but getting happy with the ban hammer needs to be approached objectively and just on knee jerk reaction.

You'll forgive me for playing it safe, but we'd really need to hear from Doug before we can unban him - if only to make sure that he understands the rules, and the risks of driving around on spawn points, etc. Quite apart from anything else, the car-spawn code will NOT generate a car if there is another vehicle within a circular range of the spawn-spot, so he must either have been travelling VERY fast from a distance outside that range, or the car was ALREADY spawned at the point it was rammed and exploded - either way, it's a bit trolly or at least cavalier, we have to admit!

FFG - you need to look at this from the flipside too. It's all very well getting a downer on the use of the insta-ban hammer, but you need to bear in mind that 99 times out of a hundred, its use is spot-on. If we get a report, the admins have very limited time in which to single out, identify (and sometimes even spectate) a given player, so that they can be removed from the game. Kicks, in practice, serve little or no purpose because the twat is usually back in seconds and just kills more people, resulting in yet more work for the admins comping players, and the cops clearing up wrecks and impounding junk from spawnpoints so that the game works and the server doesn't grind to a halt. The admins attempt to correlate as many reports as they can from as many players (cops & civs) as they can, in a very short time - and then they act. If the suspected troll really is a troll, that's usually the last we'll ever see of him, and the problem is solved right there. If it turns out he's a 'noob', or a 'troll-with-a-conscience' (usually a conscience tweaked by his suddenly losing access to a server where his mates are), then he'll have the smarts to pop in here and make a forum-post, usually claiming lack of knowledge, noob-ness, or simply that he's turned over a new leaf. If we get a sorry and a promise not to repeat, we'll usually cut him some slack (but there is no third chance).

Sure, it's inconvenient for the genuinely 'innocent' idiot who put himself in harm's way or got caught up in the moment and didn't realise what was silly and what wasn't - but it's much less inconvenient for the rest of the server population if HE is dealt with instantly, and HE is the one having to do all the running around to get things fixed. I hope you can see that.

Anyway - I'm more concerned as to why 'Doug' can't post on the forum. Perhaps between you, you can find out his problem (and his forum-identity, if he has one already), and help him get logged in (or tell us what programs he's using to try). Then we can speak to him and take this further.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply TBJ. 

Doug is a Noob. He didn't even know the rules before being banned and we didn't get chance to pick him up and talk him through the finer points. He is a good guy and would never intentionally troll anyone. 

He could not create a new topic for some reason BUT he SHOULD be able to comment on this. I will post the URL for him so he can explain himself. 

Thanks for taking the time to explain and consider. You admins are good guys and do a great job. I know it's really hard to know who is legit and who is not... and you always tend to hear moans and bad news rather than back pats and congrats. 

TBJ - Totally supportive of the server and yeah from your POV I get it that you need to play it safe. I think from our side (we have the luxury of knowing the guy and he's a stand up guy) it was a somewhat shocking. I also think it's worth considering that as we all know, de-sync is an issue at the moment - i've had a several accidents myself because of it. I'm not saying that's the reason, it may well not be but there are often extenuating circumstances.

Truth be told, i'm a little grumpy given Wolfski breaking RP to threaten to ban us last night as per my earlier post (Still don't believe we we're close to breaking any rules). No problems with wolfski other than that, always been fair but it was unexpected when we always take care to "tow the line". That and in addition to people complaining about RDM etc every 5 seconds - it feels like a bit of a ban culture at the moment (not that you can solve that).

Anyway ref Doug, we will make sure he's aware of the rules (we always act as a committee on our own TS to ensure no one inadvertently breaks the rules so we'll ensure that Doug is sufficiently educated on that.) Will also try work out why he can't post.

Please don't see my posts as me complaining, I'd rather contribute where I can and if sometimes it helps make the server a better place then it's job done ;-) 

ive spoken to him on facebook and he replied " I can't reply It's still validating me joining the forum"

me doffs cap to FFG. Just FYI, Wolfsky doesn't actually wield the ban-hammer, but he was reacting to my comment that we needed to clear the city last night. It was just getting mental, and unfortunately, your two were not the only Ifrits in town that night. As it turned out, the (several) rebel groups that all decided to join in the attack (or even just visit the city in their illegal wagons) all behaved very responsibly once they realised they'd broken the 'admin-approval' rule for a city-attack, so I'm pleased about that. Unfortunately, you and the Lord were just in the wrong place at the wrong time in the wrong vehicles, and the cops were very tired by then... so things were said OOC, because they were getting a bit desperate. It all worked out in the end (of course, the civs continued to make mayhem with all the dropped weapons for hours later, and the town looked like the Somme until the 4am restart, but that is always the case when the rebs decide to pay the town a visit! :) ) If only these rebels knew what upset they caused to everyday (non)-innocent civilian lives, I'm sure they'd not do it! As if! :)

Anyway... back to the Dougie problem. If he signed up with Steam, there is no further validation necessary (unless he's used a computer that Steam doesn't recognise, in which case he needs to take it up with Steam to validate that PC as 'Steam-approved'). OTOH, if he's created a username and password manually, the system will send him an email with an approval link for him to click on. If he doesn't click this, he won't get posting rights. Get him to check his spam-filters and if necessary, get the system to resend the validation link. Once he clicks on the link, and it arrives back here at the forum, he is authorised to post immediately from then on (there is no further waiting).

Get him to work thru that, then we'll deal with it from there. Ta

No problemo, Cheers TBG and fair enough. I still love Wolfski...ever since he first tear gassed me - always brings a tear to my japs eye.

Dogs - Get a profile picture you spazzer.

Ref Doug - New rig / steam issues? Leave it with the Dog Meister.

Email Validation. That's gonna be Doug's issue right there. The plum. 

Thanks TBJ. 

No need to apologise on behalf of the Altis coppers. They do a sterling job. I mean, I do wish they'd lube their fingers before the harsh cavity searches but there again, I have a lot of crack in my scrundies most of the time so it's fair enough. 

hi,

Dougs here...

what happend was i spawned in athira, ran out of town and ended up at the car collection point. Then jumped on a quad i spotted beside a building, reversed out slowly drove over to the AI bloke that you get your cars back from and boom!! i exploded and died.......

There was a lot of noise in the background like helicopters and gun fire so assumed i got caught up in that. but then i was banned for (vech spawn trolling) witch i don't understand.?

i understand and know of a few basic rules of the game but haven't been on long enough to meet up with Dogs, Reverend and FriendlyFireGuy to show me the ropes properly

Be careful TBJ: Doug is a rampant homsexual and basket case. We know him... But stay well away from him in Altis. He gets men pregnant. 

Right - contact established. Twas the plum indeed.

OK Dougie... I need to know some shit before I can even think about an unban, because it was a few days ago.

PM me... er Private Message me (via the forum) your in-game name that you were banned under 'the other day', and if possible, some indication of exactly which 'other date' it actually was (and a time would be helpful too, tbh).

Also might be prudent to include your IP address (if it is stable/static) and your game GUID, if you know it (perhaps one of these reprobates... I mean, good buddies of yours... can help you locate that).

I will then go roll up my sleeves, stick my hand into the sewer that is the banlist, and attempt to find you. There must be something about the name 'Doug', because I am reaching the conclusion that 99% of the UK's 'Dougs' have visited our server, and been banned from it at some point in the last couple of months. You are by no means alone in that turd-pipe, evidently. So, the details above will be your 'turd-fingerprint', for want of a better description.

Assuming I can find you in the dark recesses of the u-bend, I will unban you on the STRICT understanding that you are released into the custody of The Reverend, who will excommunicate your very soul, if you screw up again. Worse, his own soul will be in danger, and he may find his religion outlawed on Altis, if he facilitates you engaging in any 'unseemly or troglodyte-ish business' that would get you banned again.

I will also accept a grovelling apology (which I notice was missing from your account of the events, ahem, and I *do* so like to make the un-ban beseechers wriggle, just a bit). I'll also accept a wad of fivers but that won't be necessary on this occasion.

And you must promise me, faithfully, inalterably, incontrovertibly, on pain of soul-rot and eternal damnation that you will NOT get me pregnant. Okay? :huh:

Dougie... i'd rather be banned than have the Rev responsible for my actions. Mind you, could be worse, could be Lord Sandisk - he's a proper BASTARD.

Right...off to rob some poor bastards, maybe shoot a couple of cops, bit of kidnapping perhaps. Evenin all.

TBJ: That reply was epic. Well played, my good man! 

But I'm barely responsible for myself. Putting me in charge of a rapant homosexual could cause 'complications'. 

Especially in the eyes of the Lord.

I will then go roll up my sleeves, stick my hand into the sewer that is the banlist, and attempt to find you. There must be something about the name 'Doug', because I am reaching the conclusion that 99% of the UK's 'Dougs' have visited our server, and been banned from it at some point in the last couple of months. You are by no means alone in that turd-pipe, evidently. So, the details above will be your 'turd-fingerprint', for want of a better description.

Assuming I can find you in the dark recesses of the u-bend, I will unban you on the STRICT understanding that you are released into the custody of The Reverend, who will excommunicate your very soul, if you screw up again. Worse, his own soul will be in danger, and he may find his religion outlawed on Altis, if he facilitates you engaging in any 'unseemly or troglodyte-ish business' that would get you banned again.

I will also accept a grovelling apology (which I notice was missing from your account of the events, ahem, and I *do* so like to make the un-ban beseechers wriggle, just a bit). I'll also accept a wad of fivers but that won't be necessary on this occasion.

And you must promise me, faithfully, inalterably, incontrovertibly, on pain of soul-rot and eternal damnation that you will NOT get me pregnant. Okay? :huh:
(Have nothing to contribute to this topic besides..)

This is perhaps the most wonderfully worded pieces of literature I've ever read.

I'm all out of 'likes' for today, otherwise I would concur Jay's above statement with a 'like' of approval.

Back