What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

I'm getting random BSODs

Dom McFall

So! whenever I turn on my PC and login, it freezes for a bit, sometimes it unfreezes and sometimes it goes straight to BSOD, with the error CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT and it says that windows will take care of the problem, yet its frozen on 0%... and nothing happens unless I manually turn off my PC, and sometimes when I go in game or open a program it starts lagging like crazy for 5 sec then it freezes again and either goes back to the BSOD or it stays frozen until I manually turn off my PC. I had windows 8.1 on this PC before I got 10, and it worked fine no errors or BSODs, then I upgraded to 10 and it worked like a charm but then after a windows 10 update installed or something like that my PC started getting BSODs, and because I had to manually turn off my PC then some of the sys files got corrupt, (which most likely made everything worse) but it seems like I have fixed the corrupted system files... but I'm not sure :/ I use Driver Booster 4, GeForce experiance, Adv Sys Care 10 and Smart Defrag, so I don't think it has anything to do with the drivers since I check daily for updates. I don't know if this also could be a part of it but I had Hitman pro and Malware Bytes, and I might have fucked up when using these two programs because one of the BSODs I got was a driver system file from Mbytes that got corrupt somehow (which I fixed). then there was the Anti-Spyware files I downloaded on my PC (Anti-Spyware that I used to block win 10 spying files) like DWS (Destroy-Windows-Spyware) and Anti-Spyware beacon or whatever it was called but maybe they had something to do with it.

If anyone can help I would appreciate so so so much! :D

Thanks

PC SPECS:

Intel Core i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz (8 CPU Cores)

Nvidia GeForce GTX 860M 2GB VRAM

8GB RAM

OS Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 14393)

My laptop is the: Asus ROG G551JM

Contact me on my Gmail if you need more information: viking_tom@newvisionforum.com or support@newvisionforum.com

PS. this was written at about 6 pm DK time so pls don't judge my grammar XD

-Tom

1. How old is your computer?
  2. how clean is your computer?
  3. have you been overclocking?
  4. Where do you use the laptop ? e.g. on a block of ice / in bed on a duvet
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff557211(v=vs.85).aspx?tduid=(f7214de74f70d131593e9b9967f503cb)(256380)(2459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-XiTXG5T8Dg_u.WhsDSrcCQ)()

This is interesting - 1 ) Remove Avast antivirus. - 2 ) Uninstall Daemon tools lite.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/499856/how-to-fix-my-clock-watchdog-timeout-error/

Lets see where we get with this.

@Zeito this should be interesting :)

I've recently been getting 'windows ran into a problem and was forced to shut down' (or something like that), happens once a week or so. Any ideas?

Hi - Looking at the programs you have installed it seems you might have a lot of "Junkware" installed on your computer. The programs called Driverbooster and AdvSyscare are pretty much obsolete and sometimes does more harm then good. I recommend to install drivers from the manufactures website instead of programs searching for your drivers. Because I am almost 100% certain that it might be caused by faulty drivers.

Lets start with the removal of any Junkware with a program called JRT. It will run in a Windows CMD so don't be alarmed. It'll remove all unnecessary and obsolete programs doing more harm then good. Link here: https://download.bleepingcomputer.com/dl/0bbb08925b1b95df4665753a7470fa88/589f0677/windows/security/security-utilities/j/junkware-removal-tool/JRT.exe

Second thing I found with your current notebook model is some new BIOS updates stating some new thermal policy's. Something that might cause BSOD on  your system. I recommend to upgrade to the latest BIOS for Windows 10. (WARNING: DO NOT SHUT DOWN YOUR SYSTEM WHILE UPDATING YOUR BIOS)  Link here: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/G551JM/G551JMAS205.zip

Including with Lionel's recommendation give us an update if it helps anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi - Looking at the programs you have installed it seems you might have a lot of "Junkware" installed on your computer. The programs called Driverbooster and AdvSyscare are pretty much obsolete and sometimes does more harm then good. I recommend to install drivers from the manufactures website instead of programs searching for your drivers. Because I am almost 100% certain that it might be caused by faulty drivers.

Lets start with the removal of any Junkware with a program called JRT. It will run in a Windows CMD so don't be alarmed. It'll remove all unnecessary and obsolete programs doing more harm then good. Link here: https://download.bleepingcomputer.com/dl/0bbb08925b1b95df4665753a7470fa88/589f0677/windows/security/security-utilities/j/junkware-removal-tool/JRT.exe

Second thing I found with your current notebook model is some new BIOS updates stating some new thermal policy's. Something that might cause BSOD on  your system. I recommend to upgrade to the latest BIOS for Windows 10. (WARNING: DO NOT SHUT DOWN YOUR SYSTEM WHILE UPDATING YOUR BIOS)  Link here: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/G551JM/G551JMAS205.zip

Including with Lionel's recommendation give us an update if it helps anything.
@Tom Watson 100% this. Get rid of all that crapware. Use drivers from manufacurers site only.

@lionel

Ok so a quick update

-My PC is about 1 year and 6/7 months old

-My PC should be clean because I just reinstalled the whole os about a week ago

-I have never overclocked/underclocked my PC

-my PC is sitting on a constantly running laptop cooler

@CSI Xsum

-Okay so I ran the JRT file and this is the log

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) by Malwarebytes
Version: 8.1.0 (12.05.2016)
Operating System: Windows 10 Home x64
Ran by PCNAME (Administrator) on Sat 02/11/2017 at 17:13:36.29

File System: 9

Successfully deleted: C:\ProgramData\productdata (Folder)
Successfully deleted: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\dll-files.com (Folder)
Successfully deleted: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\productdata (Folder)
Successfully deleted: C:\Windows\system32\Tasks\Driver Booster Scheduler (Task)
Successfully deleted: C:\Windows\system32\Tasks\Driver Booster SkipUAC (PCNAME) (Task)
Successfully deleted: C:\Windows\system32\Tasks\NvDriverUpdateCheckDaily_{B2FE1952-0186-46C3-BAEC-A80AA35AC5B8} (Task)
Successfully deleted: C:\Windows\system32\Tasks\SmartDefrag_Startup (Task)
Successfully deleted: C:\Windows\system32\Tasks\Uninstaller_SkipUac_PCNAME (Task)
Successfully deleted: C:\Windows\Tasks\Uninstaller_SkipUac_PCNAME.job (Task)

Registry: 0

-And then theres the file you wanted me to run i have that on my desktop how do i run it?

Another thing that might help is that i ran my PC in SafeMode and it booted up just fine, could that mean that is not the drivers?

@lionel

Ok so a quick update

-My PC is about 1 year and 6/7 months old

-My PC should be clean because I just reinstalled the whole os about a week ago

-I have never overclocked/underclocked my PC

-my PC is sitting on a constantly running laptop cooler

@CSI Xsum

-Okay so I ran the JRT file and this is the log

Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) by Malwarebytes
Version: 8.1.0 (12.05.2016)
Operating System: Windows 10 Home x64
Ran by PCNAME (Administrator) on Sat 02/11/2017 at 17:13:36.29

File System: 9

Successfully deleted: C:\ProgramData\productdata (Folder)
Successfully deleted: C:\Users\domin\AppData\Roaming\dll-files.com (Folder)
Successfully deleted: C:\Users\domin\AppData\Roaming\productdata (Folder)
Successfully deleted: C:\Windows\system32\Tasks\Driver Booster Scheduler (Task)
Successfully deleted: C:\Windows\system32\Tasks\Driver Booster SkipUAC (PCNAME) (Task)
Successfully deleted: C:\Windows\system32\Tasks\NvDriverUpdateCheckDaily_{B2FE1952-0186-46C3-BAEC-A80AA35AC5B8} (Task)
Successfully deleted: C:\Windows\system32\Tasks\SmartDefrag_Startup (Task)
Successfully deleted: C:\Windows\system32\Tasks\Uninstaller_SkipUac_PCNAME (Task)
Successfully deleted: C:\Windows\Tasks\Uninstaller_SkipUac_PCNAME.job (Task)

Registry: 0

-And then theres the file you wanted me to run i have that on my desktop how do i run it?

Another thing that might help is that i ran my PC in SafeMode and it booted up just fine, could that mean that is not the drivers?
Hi Tom - I apologies I was hoping that the bios update was an execute file. Didn't check - anyway here is a small step by step how to update your BIOS (Considering you know how to get in to your BIOS)

1. Download the BIOS zip file and extract the zipfile to a USB disk
2. Restart PC and press F2 to enter the BIOS
3. Select ezflash
4. Select the extracted file from the USB (In your case G551JMAS.205)
5. Let it flash (DO NOT SHUT DOWN YOUR PC)
6. Done BIOS Updated.

Ok i did that but now my pc keeps booting into my BIOS... The windows 10 boot option is no where to be seen..

1486834920491669221225.jpg

Click boot configuration / boot option priorities and select the hard drive your OS is loaded on as the first one (generally boot 0 or boot 1) 

Theres no boot priorities and i cant create one either....

I fixed it i think :/ the csm was disabled when i turned it on (by turning off safe boot) and pressed save and exit then it booted win 10 fine

But the freezing problem is still not fixed...

Theres no boot priorities and i cant create one either....
Ah just realised you're on an Asus, been a problem with their bios' a long time.

Go to the Boot/Hard Disk menu instead (It lists all your drives in order) - make sure your hard drive with windows on is set as the lowest number, good luck 

Okay so i ran my cmd as admin and i typed

-cleanmgr <- this worked btw

-chkdsk /f

this is what i got

C:\Windows\system32>cleanmgr

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk /f
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

so idk if my ssd is meant to be NTFS since the default is Fat32 could that have anything to do with my problem?

ok so I turned on WD since it was turned off by "group policies"? and I'm about to restart my PC ill update you guys when I come back

And ill also do a full scan with WD

NTFS and FAT32 are just ways of how file systems are managed. 

FAT16/FAT32 are generally the most well known but the oldest and typically has smaller file limits (2TB / 4GB on files). TLDR because i cant be bothered typing: NTFS is fine on SSD's

Just see if blue screens occur and what your computer is like during

Make sure you have disabled fastboot and secure boot. That requires a GUI installation - it's a modern way of installing Windows 10. Apparently you installed it as MBR , the oldschool method.

Always install as NTFS. Has nothing to do with you booting in to the bios. I have also noticed that you are still facing the BSOD issues. To be fair - if you reinstalled Windows recently then go for it and do it again. After reinstallation give me a heads up and I'll pass on the links to all the needed drivers. I am 100 percent certain those "driver" search program screwed everything up.

Okay i will try to find a day this week where i can reinstall windows 10 again maybe on thirsday

Nvm i just finished setting up Windows 10 and its boots up fine :/ ill install all the stuff i need and then my steam games and well see if it will work

@CSI Xsum NOPE!.... it started fucking up again... idk if its a driver issue or if its something i installed but its making me lose all hope of fixing my pc....

I don't know what error codes you are getting when you are receiving these BSOD but have you ever tried considering this may be a hardware problem? 5-6 months ago I was receiving constant blue screens and I couldn't quite put my finger on it and It turned out to be defective RAM and after replacing my sticks it all started working perfectly fine together. 

Back