What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

Is my processor done for?

Kakujaa

Royal Flush
I'm currently running a AMD FX-6300 and I love it. Of course compared to high spec intel this is absolutely horrible but does the job. But today I have some issues. I noticed Arma 3 was on 5 fps. Then my chrome was freezing. I look into task manager and cpu usage is going up to 98 % and not going down. I legit only have Skype, Steam and two chrome tabs open. I'm very confused :(  

I wouldn't want to jump to conclusions but you may need to consider getting a new CPU.

Unsure as of right now. Looking for an intel obviously but they are quite pricey 

Maybe it could be an issue with your CPU over heating but if you are getting a new CPU I recommend the AMD - FX-8350 8 core black edition. My friend has it and he says it is good from rendering and such!

If you get a new intel cpu. You'll need to get a new motherboard. Make sure the cpu fits the motherboard socket.

I'm currently running a AMD FX-6300 and I love it. Of course compared to high spec intel this is absolutely horrible but does the job. But today I have some issues. I noticed Arma 3 was on 5 fps. Then my chrome was freezing. I look into task manager and cpu usage is going up to 98 % and not going down. I legit only have Skype, Steam and two chrome tabs open. I'm very confused :(  
Check you have no malware/viruses because alot of them can run undetected and spike your cpu usage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a similar issue and it turned out the thermal paste had degraded over time. Could be a simple matter of taking your fan off, wiping the old paste off with alcohol and putting new paste on. 

I had a similar issue and it turned out the thermal paste had degraded over time. Could be a simple matter of taking your fan off, wiping the old paste off with alcohol and putting new paste on. 

Check you have no malware/viruses because alot of them can run undetected and spike your cpu usage.

Maybe it could be an issue with your CPU over heating but if you are getting a new CPU I recommend the AMD - FX-8350 8 core black edition. My friend has it and he says it is good from rendering and such!
The issue seems to be fixed. Unplugged everything and it seems to be okay. Will still be getting a new one at xmas though! Thanks for the help guys! 

Also check for background processes in your task manager that you may not know about, this has happened me in the past. It could be something like anti-virus software running scans and stuff like that. It may also be something physical that caused the issue, but I'd say it's something using the resources.

Make sure that your CPU is compatible with your Motherboard as the FX you have is a AM3+ socket and the Intel i5 is a LGa1150 Socket. Most AMD CPU's use the same socket and Intel CPUs use a complete opposite. So if you want that i5 you will need a new Motherboard bro.

Its hard to kill a CPU nowadays unless your really silly with it.

In terms of upgrade options, you can always go the Skylake route for not much more or on par with a new Haswell build. You can use a motherboard that supports DDR3 so you can use your current set so all you'll need is a Motherboard and CPU.

Back