What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

Item Decay - items wear-out / break with usage

Samuel Shire

Investor
Investor
Hello so i have been thinking of this one for some time and i believe it would add in more Realism and help with the economy a bit.

so at current things like lockpicks and fishing rods are essentially everlasting, and will last till the end of time.

nice concept but i think it would be much more realistic if they started to break down with use, like they would in reality, so using the pick over time would make it dull or break, using a rod a lot would cause the line to wear and break or the rod to snap

the part of this with economy, it wont do much to impact it but having the need to go out and buy these items more than just once would of course flow the economy, my first fishing rod I'm sure i still have the one i got 17/18 months ago

how to make it work and still be balanced would be interesting i would say maybe have it so upon each use there is a percentage that can be RNG to determine how much of the durability is lost each time,

i would say this should apply to

• Fishing Rods
  • Mining Pickaxes
  • washcloths
  • screwdrivers
  • scissors
  • drills

more extreme decay items - if you wanted to go all out with this kind of idea then there would of course be others that could be considered but i know these items would cause an outrage

• Guns - could be maintained with gun maintenance kits - if not maintained then the gun could eventually jam and become unusable
  • Mele Weapons - same as guns needing something to maintain the likes of sharpness and such
  • Food - rots over time

as always instead of going straight in for the -1 because of the mention of guns, at least give some more insight in a response 🙂

Pro

• more realistic RP and better for the economy
  • players would be more cautious of how they are using things maybe enhancing RP 

Con

• i can only assume a LOT of work for the devs to create the code to make this possible

Lockpicks do break sometimes when lockpicking a vehicle dont they?

I’ll +1 this, it’s a good idea for certain things. The ones you have listed look good. 

However, I don’t agree that things like melee weapons and food should decay. Simple reason for me is because of how steep the learning curve already is for new players & how difficult it can be earning a little money when you are new and clueless. Bare minimum essentials such as food and basic weapons, no delay - more advanced items such as screwdrivers, mechanical repair kits etc… should decay. Also don’t particularly like the idea of guns decaying, as I think it’ll make people more ruthless with guns that are near the end of their life, causing more stupid shootouts and stuff, but that’s a personal view. 

That said, I think this was discussed before and one of devs mentioned it would be difficult because each item at different durability would be catalogued in the databases as whole different items or something like that… I’m not very clued up on that stuff, just from what I remember. 

I'm going to say no, because this is Roleplaybserver and not a survival simulation. I want to spend time interacting with people, not tending to my supplies constantly

Back