What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

Joystick or Mouse?

Cowboy Chip

Lifetime Donator
Lifetime Donator
Howdy Fellow Patrons!

Still waiting for pc equipment to show up so I can get back to NHS.  But in the meantime, I have been adding a few toys to my gaming collection, and testing them out.

My question for the group is this;

If your using a joystick, throttle and pedals to fly, which of these do you feel works best in the game?  And why.

Hotas Wort Hog, or the T-16000M ----- OR, do you think something else is better?

Leave your comments  😉

Like the post 😉

And have a fantastic day! 

CC

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally think that it is far easier to fly using a keyboard and mouse than a joystick and pedals. I use the mouse for small smooth movements such as when allowing your benches to shoot and the keyboard for standard flying. It is also easier to look around whilst using a keyboard and mouse

I use a crappy FLY 5 joystick to fly (keyboard for throttle & yaw) and TrackHat to look about since i fly in first person.

If you want to get into other flying games (flight sims, Elite Dangerous, etc) then the Warthog would be a good investment, else the T-16000M would be sufficient in arma alone

In arma basic flight model? Keyboard is my choice.

@SI Dan B ,  Thanks for your comment  😉 As I am new to the game, I would tend  to agree with you.  Having to learn to fly once is hard enough, but doing it twice might be a bit much.  However, would you agree that to totally immerse ones self into the experience of flying, wouldn't a joystick be best?

@Bob Wilkinson , Thank you for your comment  😉  Yes, I have been told that Arma3 doesn't require an expensive set-up to enjoy flying.  In addition, I was told that Arma3 may actually work better using just the mouse/keyboard, or a mid range joystick set.  Personally, and in my opinion, I would like to be able to have a nice flying experience, without spending $500 dollars to do it.

@Slawek Orion   Thanks for your comment  😉  Do you feel the Keyboard/mouse is easier?  Or do you simply prefer it ..

The reason i do not use anything else than keyboard and mouse is because i have a flight yoke system, and flying with a yoke is well... No.. Anyway, On keyboard i feel like its just smoother sometimes, yes joystick is more comfy but keyboard is still on my opinion likable. 

@TheCap    Thank you for your  comment  😉  I can see were a flight yoke system might not be realistic for flying heli's,   But it would sure be  fun, and i am sure comfy 😉   And I agree that while experimenting with this joystick,  I have noticed that the mouse is a bit smother  for some movements than this heavy handed Hostas joystick. 

Furthermore, I suppose ,if a person spent that money to buy a very good mouse, and maybe even a real good keyboard, one could probably have a real good flying experience. would you agree?

@TheCap    Thank you for your  comment  😉  I can see were a flight yoke system might not be realistic for flying heli's,   But it would sure be  fun, and i am sure comfy 😉   And I agree that while experimenting with this joystick,  I have noticed that the mouse is a bit smother  for some movements than this heavy handed Hostas joystick.
I tried turning left and my chopper did a barrel roll XD, my yoke has its sensitivity set for planes not helis, i tried flying a plane with my yoke system and that was a lot of fun!

I tried turning left and my chopper did a barrel roll XD, my yoke has its sensitivity set for planes not helis, i tried flying a plane with my yoke system and that was a lot of fun!
Yes, I can see were that would indeed be a blast!  I didn't know that there were planes in arma.   Used for transport I suppose.

Keyboard and mouse is just easier imo. Lots of fun with joystick though!

Keyboard and mouse is probably easier in arma 3. But its way better if you wanna play other flight simulators like X-plane 11. But if you like the real flying feel there is no reason not to use joystick whilst flying in arma 3. 

i would go with keyboard and mouse.

the problem i personally have with a joystick is that it takes time to get used to and to swap back and forward when you eject out of the vehicle.

Keyboard and mouse is just easier imo. Lots of fun with joystick though!
Thank you for your comment  😉

Keyboard and mouse is probably easier in arma 3. But its way better if you wanna play other flight simulators like X-plane 11. But if you like the real flying feel there is no reason not to use joystick whilst flying in arma 3.
Thank you for your comment.

i would go with keyboard and mouse.

the problem i personally have with a joystick is that it takes time to get used to and to swap back and forward when you eject out of the vehicle.
Thank you for your suggestion, and I agree.  I have found that all this extra stuff gets in the way as I move in and out of vehicles, then, trying to nav the KB while on foot.  I will probably reserve the extra stuff for when I am spending most of the time ether flying, or driving so as to enjoy the experience more.

I absolutely love flying with a joystick, it did take some time to get use to but now I can pretty easily combat land in hot zones on KOTH and other modes. I personally can’t fly with keyboard and mouse, it feels unnatural to me but perhaps that’s just because I’m now so use to the joystick. 

FYI: I use the Logitech extreme 3D pro and the odd button on my keyboard while flying, then when I land I have enough room to simply move my joystick to the side and resume with mouse. 

Back