What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

Keyboard&Mouse problems

Newt

Lifetime Donator
Lifetime Donator
Hey all, me again with some technical problems for you to solve, 

So as in the title I have mouse and keyboard problems, the wires are plugged into the correct places

When I start up my computer (mini Newt) my keyboard and mouse light up and do there little start up, after that I then get  a screen before the main login to my computer account saying that there is no mouse or keyboard present. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again, yes

Have you taken the cabels out and reinserted them, yes

have you blown into the USB ports, yes

Last edited by a moderator:
have you tried alternate KB / mouse ?

sounds like some bios settings got reset to detect usb kb&M

Yeah I have, it won't register, I have also used my own mouse and keyboard on anther PC and its worked fine. 

can you take a photo of the error please, not sure if its a bios or windows issue at this point. 

If you know the make and model of your mainboard as well that would be useful :)

Keybord; Logitech k290

Mouse; Logitech g302 

Pic:

K2yyrem.jpg

please remove ALL usb devices from your machine apart from the Keyboard and let me know if it detects the keyboard, if so then plug them back in 1 by 1 and reboot after re-attaching each device.

please remove ALL usb devices from your machine apart from the Keyboard and let me know if it detects the keyboard, if so then plug them back in 1 by 1 and reboot after re-attaching each device.
Keyboard is not being detected

and can you confirm that KB is plugged into the upper left USB slot on the back of your computer.
Also please remove the power cable from the machine and leave it for 20 seconds (this is for a cold boot)

Sorry had edited in the reply for cold boot, do you have whatsapp ?

Do you have a PS2 Keyboard (and a PS2 port on your mothboard)? 

ps2_keyboard_connector.jpg
If you look at the above screenshot provided by OP you can see that it is a Asus Maximus VIII Hero, which does have this port, but the main query will be Who the fuck has a ps2 keyboard....

Ok i do ... but im a weird old techy who hordes loads of crap. Personally I am fan of ps2 for KB&M and wish it still used that on all the modern KB's with just a USB cable for all the extra crap.
I can even remeber adjusting the clock times on the PS2 port to get more response from our first optical mice back in the day :D (omg sad i know)

If you look at the above screenshot provided by OP you can see that it is a Asus Maximus VIII Hero, which does have this port, but the main query will be Who the fuck has a ps2 keyboard....

Ok i do ... but im a weird old techy who hordes loads of crap. Personally I am fan of ps2 for KB&M and wish it still used that on all the modern KB's with just a USB cable for all the extra crap.
I can even remeber adjusting the clock times on the PS2 port to get more response from our first optical mice back in the day :D (omg sad i know)
A lot of people have old PS2 keyboards laying around. Not only that, but some more modern keyboards use PS2 and come with a PS2 > USB 2.0 adapter.

Either way, it may be an issue with an out of date BIOS, although it seems weird to happen completely out of the blue.

seems to be a driver issue atm, keyboard is now working but no mouse getting teamviewer installed ATM

@Zeito@CMO Marc Smith
Issues on this one :/ only 1 usb port working on the mobo.

this is the device giving the driver issue (device cannot start code 10) PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A12F&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_31 (Windows10)

Have updated the BIOS as they fixed system compatibility issues, no joy there, Re-installed all the chipset drivers and USB drivers and usb3 boost drivers. 
Mouse non working in Bios either on both usb 3 and 2 ports, so presuming at this point hardware issue, both keyboard and mouse work on last functioning port so they are fine.

What d you think send the motherboard back or got any other ideas?
I have already recommended getting a USB hub for short term fix.

Newt has WhatsApp & Teamviewer, is happy to do tasks also is competent and patient ;)

@Newthere is a link to a usb hub, just so you know what your looking for it doesnt have to be this one, just something like it, go to your local computer store (not PC world Fuck them!) Tesco's, Sainsbury's or Argos they should have some.  https://www.scan.co.uk/products/7-port-dynamode-usb-20-powered-hub-with-50cm-cable

Here is the link for the powerline adaptor that we talked about.
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/tp-link-tl-pa7020p-kit-av1000-2-port-gigabit-passthrough-powerline-starter-kit-1000mbps-2x-uk-powerl
No more crappy 1 bar wifi plz ;) 

@Zeito@CMO Marc Smith
Issues on this one :/ only 1 usb port working on the mobo, no usb hub either :/ 

this is the device giving the driver issue (device cannot start code 10) PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A12F&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_31 (Windows10)

Have updated the BIOS as they fixed system compatibility issues, no joy there, Re-installed all the chipset drivers and USB drivers and usb3 boost drivers. 
Mouse non working in Bios either on both usb 3 and 2 ports, so presuming at this point hardware issue, both keyboard and mouse work on last functioning port so they are fine.

What d you think send the motherboard back or got any other ideas?
I have already recommended getting a USB hub for short term fix.

@Newthere is a link to a usb hub, just so you know what your looking for it doesnt have to be this one, just something like it, go to your local computer store (not PC world Fuck them!) Tesco's or Sainsbury's or Argos they should have some.  https://www.scan.co.uk/products/7-port-dynamode-usb-20-powered-hub-with-50cm-cable

Here is the link for the powerline adaptor that we talked about.
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/tp-link-tl-pa7020p-kit-av1000-2-port-gigabit-passthrough-powerline-starter-kit-1000mbps-2x-uk-powerl
No more crappy 1 bar wifi plz ;) 
Only 1 working USB port? That's a bit mad, a VIII Asus board is pretty recent. @Newt has there been a power cut/thunder storm or anything like that in your area recently?

If there's deifntiely only 1 working port, I'd be submitting an RMA for the board straight away. If the USB ports are gone due to hardware failure/damage who knows what other chipsets are damaged.

Only 1 working USB port? That's a bit mad, a VIII Asus board is pretty recent. @Newt has there been a power cut/thunder storm or anything like that in your area recently?

If there's deifntiely only 1 working port, I'd be submitting an RMA for the board straight away. If the USB ports are gone due to hardware failure/damage who knows what other chipsets are damaged.
2-4 months old

2-4 months old
yeah RMA it if there's definitely only 1 working USB port imo. Just be careful when removing the CPU that you dont damage the socket LGA leaf-pins @Newtas ASUS are known for being real bastards about them and RMA requests. You should be able to RMA to whoever you bought it off, before you have to goto ASUS themselves.

Back