What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

Low FPS on a decent rig. Help?

Mark Biggleswade

Hi guys, sorry if this is the wrong place for this kind of post but I couldn't find a technical help section.

So generally speaking I get good performance from the programme, but more recently, where I've become involved in gunfights working for AEGIS, the FPS drops significantly when things get really "busy" and when you need to aim, you're in trouble with the way things are currently setup on my PC. 

I know the obvious thing is to reduce quality to boost performance, but I want to be sure there's nothing more I can do, first, as I feel my hardware is pretty strong.

Here's my whole setup:

Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7

Devils Canyon Core i7 4790K CPU

GeForce GTX 980  4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express - x2 running on SLI. - Default up to date drivers.

Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-19200C11 2400MHz 

Corsair HX1000i Full Modular Digital Power Supply 

Samsung 256GB SSD 840 PRO SATA 6Gb/s Basic x2

Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 Mechanical Keyboard

Cooler Master HAF X Gaming Tower Case - Black

Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache

Corsair Hydro H80i High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

BenQ XL2411Z 24" TRUE 144Hz Flicker FREE 3D Vision 2.0 Widescreen LED Monitor - Black

I'm using a razer naga mouse but I also have a deathadder I'm considering switching to for this as the side buttons aren't much use. 

Anyway, the game is installed on one of the SSD's and I'm usually recording to the 3TB drive at all times, even when I'm not this doesn't change the performance though. 

Everything in game is on ultra, I know this may be the obvious thing to reduce but, as I said, I just wanted to see if anyone know anything more.

So far I've tried this:

Adding commands to steam - -cpuCount=4 -exThreads=4 -high -noPause -noSplash -world=empty -noLogs

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

Also I'm forcing some settings through Nvidia control panel >3D options...

Anistrophic filtering 16x

Power management mode - Prefer maximum performance

I'm getting 45-60fps normally, goes down to 25-30fps in gunfights. I was hoping to improve the performance without tampering with the quality. Any gurus out there?

Since you have i7 try opening the Arma3 launcher, go to settings and enable hyper threading. From there you can also manually set Arma to use all your cores. It's on auto mode in default but it seemed to improve my fps a bit. Atleast it's feels more stable.

Do you play with 1080p resolution? For reference my average fps is around 45 with 1440p but I have lowered some antialiaising settings from ultra. Specs are i5 4690@4,4GHz, 16Gb Hyperx 1866MHz, 2 x 780 gtx OC. When i tried to play with my old monitor (1080p) while ago at a lan party, my fps was over 50 and stable with all ultra. Haven't touched the sampling rate setting though. That seems to lower the fps much more than other settings. Your 144hz monitor might have something to do with you fps as well because it requires more computing power to refresh the screen faster compared to regular 60Hz screen, I presume.

BTW, your CPU has a lot of power reserve if you have good chip. Get a decent cooler, overclock that to around 4,5 GHz or more if it goes that far and you'll get even more fps. Overclock is over power =) 4790 usually overclocks well but don't blame me if you fry it!

Edit. sry, just noticed that you already have a good cooler. I haven't had a gigabyte mobo in a good while but I believe they have some kind of OC software if you don't like to mess with bios. The tool that asus offers found the same stable settings that I had configured manually from bios so I think the oc tools can be trusted nowadays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back