What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

mentoring system - middle management type of thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

William Antrim

I was having a conversation with someone in TS last night, whos opinion I have come to respect over time and we were discussing the issues of accountability of the player base and ways to combat the "emotional" issues that inadvertently crop up sometimes when an RP situation gets a little heated. I believe that the interactions are exacerbated due to people not being able to articulate their thoughts and feelings at times due to rules and constraints placed on them. Sometimes its a general lack of maturity on one side or the other. 

It led to the thoughts I am about to post in this thread. Admin staff are volunteers in the server to keep order and discipline and stop rule breaks. There are lots of people doing this but they cannot be in all places at all times. I would argue they do a pretty good job but when they number less than 10% of the total player base i would say they are not omnipotent. However unfortunately as an admin your job is to deal with the shitlords AFTER the fact. The rule has been broken, the action has happened, the cat is well and truly out of the bag. 

This is the cure for the problem, ban the person and hope its enough to curtail the behaviour. Its a tough job, especially as a volunteer. 

However what if there was a system that could help to prevent the issue in the first place. A mentoring scheme could be adopted whereby people would get a different forum badge perhaps or some other identification to show their status. This would obviously be a voluntary role with no additional benefits other than recognition of their contribution to the community. However it would be staffed by people who genuinely have an altruistic nature and are able to conduct their business in the server whilst contributing to an inclusive and welcoming culture. 

This type of role needs a cool head and the ability to see things from different viewpoints, it has already worked effectively in the judiciary as some of the judges there are some of the best people I have met. Yes i am biased of course. I wonder if it could be expanded in some way for those players to hold some sort of position in the various factions. Not the judges per se but others with a similar mindset. 

If each faction had some people chosen from it (the gangs could have their own person/people also) then these people could bring the gang's beefs up to management/devs/etc to be resolved without the need for the report forum getting weaponised. 

Everywhere I speak to people who are p'd off with other people and the hearsay and reporting that comes from a growing community. I sit and idle in TS and listen to the disappointment and anger shown by different sides to others. I dont make too many comments publicly suffice to say i will support anything that sounds positive for the community. It goes beyond gang or faction loyalty. There is no us and them, we are simply players but the toxicity of the report forum is horrendous. 

If people could be re-educated within the realm of RP then it may prove beneficial to the server. 

For example in the Police this role falls on the Police Sgts. As a Sgt you are a leader of people, you are held to a higher account. You are respected because the 3 stripes on your arm mean something. I can attest to this firsthand. As a civilian you are middle management, its the same thing.  You need those people to have some backbone and punish poor behaviour, not cover it up. If it persists then this sort of thing should be passed up the Chain of Command (CoC) to be dealt with by seniors. However it should negate most issues at the point they happen because people can calm down and learn from their mistakes and be better next time. If they dont then they get removed from what ever role they held. Simple. 

The gangs can have a similar rank. Its called a Capo in the Italian Mob - lieutenant/captain basically. A consiglierie if you want to go one step higher. I held this rank in my first criminal family on the server and I absolutely loved it. For the right person it is a very rewarding chance for RP. 

Natural leaders will thrive in this role but the key is identifying them and teaching them to be leaders or helping them to understand how they are leading and making it tangible. I think it would go a long way towards helping people to not be so salty. 

If all of the major factions had these kinds of people embedded within them, who were able to help steer the RP to a positive outcome/conclusion for more people and had the greater good in their minds then i think maybe it could go a little way towards helping the server become better. 

I am 100% ok with people downvoting this if you dont agree but please say why you dont like it. I am not here to start a flame war or the blame game, i just want to hear mature and reasoned arguments for how to help people and take the burden off the staff and have the community regulate itself so to speak. 

Gang leaders are already there for this role in gang/factions. They have a gang leader chats to be "middlemen" for the staff. The server is supposed to be a mature 18+ server and just like the Police / NHS and Gruppe 6, the whitelisted factions/gangs would not be formed or even be still standing if it wasn't for structure and a chain of command already in place. Admins do a fantastic job, but the last thing the server needs is more people babysitting for the babysitters. The best way to educate better RP is to RP to a quality standard yourself, the rest will watch, learn and follow in your footsteps.

It's pretty simple really, read the rules, follow the rules and enjoy your stay. As for the average-Joe that joins and wants to roleplay but ends up dicking about or breaking rules,  it's up to the individuals involved to be mature and help the new guy learn. We are all responsible for our own actions and roleplay and clear rule breaks should always be reported, i'd hate to have to sit down with a middleman before taking futher action and honestly i'd rather speak one-on-one with the person breaking the rules or just offering poor quality RP and resolving it like the mature adults we are supposed to be.

Finally, it's impossible to have a completely toxic and negative free experience in every roleplay scenario, regardless of what server you play on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry but the point of the thread is because the system isn't working. Everyone here knows how it works currently. The point is to make it better. 

Gang leaders are already there for this role in gang/factions. They have a gang leader chats to be "middlemen" for the staff. The server is supposed to be a mature 18+ server and just like the Police / NHS and Gruppe 6, the whitelisted factions/gangs would not be formed or even be still standing if it wasn't for structure and a chain of command already in place. Admins do a fantastic job, but the last thing the server needs is more people babysitting for the babysitters. The best way to educate better RP is to RP to a quality standard yourself, the rest will watch, learn and follow in your footsteps.

It's pretty simple really, read the rules, follow the rules and enjoy your stay. As for the average-Joe that joins and wants to roleplay but ends up dicking about or breaking rules,  it's up to the individuals involved to be mature and help the new guy learn. We are all responsible for our own actions and roleplay and clear rule breaks should always be reported, i'd hate to have to sit down with a middleman before taking futher action and honestly i'd rather speak one-on-one with the person breaking the rules or just offering poor quality RP and resolving it like the mature adults we are supposed to be.

Finally, it's impossible to have a completely toxic and negative free experience in every roleplay scenario, regardless of what server you play on.
If you believe that youre either an eternal optimist or high as fuck.

All I read was absolute waffle. If people can't control their emotions over roleplay situations and are genuinly upset outside of roleplay over a game when this is supposed to be a mature community, then they really need to ask the question is this really for me?

Follow the rules, grow up and act your age. You can't fix stupid and you can't babysit everyone on the server.

All I read was absolute waffle. If people can't control their emotions over roleplay situations and are genuinly upset outside of roleplay over a game when this is supposed to be a mature community, then they really need to ask the question is this really for me?

Follow the rules, grow up and act your age. You can't fix stupid and you can't babysit everyone on the server.
youve clearly just missed the point then. its just wisdom and maturity thats missing. I was hoping the thread wouldnt devolve into this so i wont bother replying to you further. 

Ok now your attacking the OP? And still missing the point? The suggestion is an interesting one BECAUSE people cant do this for themselves. 

Keep going Luke, you're on a roll here.

Ok now your attacking the OP? And still missing the point? The suggestion is an interesting one BECAUSE people cant do this for themselves. 

Keep going Luke, you're on a roll here.
I am 100% ok with people downvoting this if you dont agree but please say why you dont like it. I am not here to start a flame war or the blame game, i just want to hear mature and reasoned arguments for how to help people and take the burden off the staff and have the community regulate itself so to speak. 
Ade you've offered nothing so far other than attack my comments.

You know when people start to derail a thread it only goes to prove that theres a lack of maturity on the forum as well as in game. Please just stop now. 

Ade you've offered nothing so far other than attack my comments.
Thats a fair point. Ok. I think there is a valid discussion here. It needs to be hashed out a little more but I see room for the discussion to flourish in a mature and controlled environment. In essence the people suggested, in my eyes, would be kinda like mini gms (gamesmasters) where they can steer and influence the narrative but not ultimately affect the outcomes or have the powers to do so, however, as a trusted source, their opinions should be validated and their voice heard.

I think this could easily be done by a community collective, if the various gang leads, and major players on the server, in their own right, could be at least brought together and discuss the idea and help to resolve issues as they arise. It would help EVERYONE have a more fun experience.

Less mess, less stress, let everyone have more fun. Just sometimes people need that steadier, guiding hand to show them the way. I was lucky. I had that early on in my gaming career through a good friend of mine once upon a time. Maybe its time some of us passed that on to some others. the young bloods so to speak.

Im sorry but I am unsure what this suggestion is suggesting. From what I can see it's that there should be some sort of way for staff/management to get feedback from individual players. I don't see though how this differs from what we currently have.

The suggestion seems to say that that we need a system where faction and gang command members of various ranks receive feedback from the people who're under them and this can then be passed to faction leaders to give feedback to staff/management which is the system we currently have.

Its basically suggesting the idea that the current incumbents in some respects arent performing in the roles in this way. There are people who are in these positions who just arent getting the job done. Formalising the role means that you identify suitable candidates and employ them within the role for the success of the whole organisation/community. 

If it was working as intended the server wouldnt have some of the bitching/ooc arguments etc that it has. The forum has had a number of high profile threads detailing the issues and this is one way in which said issues are resolved as this is how it is done in the real world. If people lack the experience to comprehend that then I can understand that but the irrefutable evidence is mounting that more can and should be done.

This is one way of doing that. 

It may not be the right way but it is certainly an idea because some of the people who currently have this responsibility are simply shit at their jobs. Im not going to name names and point fingers because that is counter productive but it doesnt make it any less accurate.  

There are people who are in these positions who just arent getting the job done.

people who currently have this responsibility are simply shit at their jobs
But if people are failing in their roll of doing this then their should be pushes to replace the incompetent people rather then simply making changes to pass their responsibility onto others.

What your suggesting may be a solution but it is a very temporary one that would inevitably lead to the same issue with more people being in a position of responsibility and failing to meet these responsibilities. 

youve clearly just missed the point then. its just wisdom and maturity thats missing. I was hoping the thread wouldnt devolve into this so i wont bother replying to you further. 
Wisdom and maturity don't prevent emotional impulse control issues.

But if people are failing in their roll of doing this then their should be pushes to replace the incompetent people rather then simply making changes to pass their responsibility onto others.

What your suggesting may be a solution but it is a very temporary one that would inevitably lead to the same issue with more people being in a position of responsibility and failing to meet these responsibilities. 
Replacing them and formalising the role ensures that the RIGHT people are selected for the role. There may need to be an interview process or some other filtering. Nothing as difficult as a staff application but something akin to the vetting process which the judiciary goes through is probably relevant and appropriate for the role. I dont understand your first point as its kind of the same thing. I think ive adequately answered the second point because the people who would want to perform in a role such as this would be invited to express interest and then they would be filtered to assess motivation and capability. Just the same as is already happening with the Judiciary. 

This system has worked previously, therefore I made the suggestion because it can have the same effect again. Nobody in the community has yet openly bitched en masse about the Judicial system that has been implemented within the city. There is a very good reason for that. The interview process is very robust and has stood up to all scrutiny. This idea is to widen that scope and enhance that benefit to a wider audience. 

To me it cannot be clearer, but then my experience is living and working within a meritocracy like this for the past 15 years. 

Wisdom and maturity don't prevent emotional impulse control issues.
Of course they do. The wisdom to understand that you have them and the maturity helps to back down before you actually become impulsive. Basically the wisdom helps you become self aware. If you cant control it then you may need to go and do something else because in that case youre basically toxic. 

Of course they do. The wisdom to understand that you have them and the maturity helps to back down before you actually become impulsive. Basically the wisdom helps you become self aware. If you cant control it then you may need to go and do something else because in that case youre basically toxic. 
you can be mature but emotionally impulsive. What you have in mind is immature people that talk before thinking. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back