What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

Microphone Setup

SGT Owen

Roflcopter
Lifetime Donator
Hi all :)

I'm in a bit of a pickle with my microphone setup.

I currently have a Blue Yetti that is sitting on my desk. My desk is in a rather large and open room causing some nasty sound issues. 

I've been looking at some options but am not really sure if they're practical/will work.

I've currently got in mind a arm to raise the microphone off the desk and a shock resistor so any knocks to the desk will be absorbed.  Then to resolve the open sounding mic, I've done a quick search online and have seen a 'sound reflector'. Pretty much some foam around the mic.

Have any of you guys had a similar problem or seen any ways to sort this out as I understand it may be slightly annoying for anyone listening to this :)

Thanks, 

Owen 

what exactly is the issue you're trying to fix? Can you elaborate on 'open sounding' ? Can you record a clip of you reading something so we can hear the issue?

How large is the room? Unless it was quite high ceiling and massive, i can't imagine there being a lot of echo, are you playing in an empty warehouse or garage? Are there any equaliser effects set on your soundcard? @SPC Owen

Last edited by a moderator:
I used this guide to set up mine:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

im on my way to work now but I'll expand more when I can. 

It's quite hard to explain here and am at work atm, will try to get a clip uploaded later.

Room is fairly large. It's a log cabin and it does have a fairly high roof.

And again, I'll have to wait until I get home to check the equaliser settings 

Thanks for the video Vladic, I'll check that out on my lunch break :)

Foam, Lots of Foam !! 

Foam under the feet (stops thumps from the desk transmitting)

foam behind it (direct echo from wall (presuming you have a wall behind your desk)) 

foam to the sides (also reduces noise reflection, and also keyboard and fan noise from computer (depending on location of pc)).

Looks like shit, but it does work.

But I agree wholly with Vladic, wihtout tuning the mic to your direct surroundings, its pointless to start doing anything else, as that will have the greatest effect in all scenarios.

Back