What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

Motherboard bottle-necking CPU/GPU ?

Mr. Martin

Hello guys, I am planning on getting a new CPU/GPU. Since my motherboard is not so great, I would like to know if it can actually limit the clock speeds of my CPU/GPU or limit them in any way. My motherboard is: H81M-S2PV

Specs:

i7 4790k
GTX970
2x4GB RAM
Corsair 550VS PSU

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I know you most likely wont have a bottle neck there and its just a waste of money as it does a good enough job. Should of just got a GTX 980 ;)   

@Unlucky George or @lionel might be able to give you a better answer than me

Simple answer?

No bottleneck whatsoever from what i've seen of your motherboard specifications.

If youre willing to overclock, I would go for a motherboard with a different chipset.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya as Puppy said, it's a bottleneck in that the H81 chipset will not allow you to overclock the K series CPU that you have, considering how easily and how readily a 4790K will overclock, you're seriously missing out. You need a Z87 or Z97 chipset based motherboard to overclock the CPU you have.

I will not OC since the CPU is already running at 4.0GHz which I think is plenty. When I would like to OverClock in the future I will change the motherboard + add a better PSU, but for now I think everything is fine, right boys? :)

Another semi-off topic would be:

What GTX970 would you recommend for me? Evga, Gigabyte, MSI or Asus?

Well I love EVGA cards but really so long as its not a refrence cooler then you should be fine personly I would go with EVGA or Asus

I will not OC since the CPU is already running at 4.0GHz which I think is plenty. When I would like to OverClock in the future I will change the motherboard + add a better PSU, but for now I think everything is fine, right boys? :)

Another semi-off topic would be:

What GTX970 would you recommend for me? Evga, Gigabyte, MSI or Asus?

Asus STRIX, they are passive (i.e. no fan noise at all) until they hit 65c and they overclock incredibly well.

Let me mention that I don't care about the fan noise, I only care about the good performance of the card which are - speed and temperature. From the reviews I read MSI gets the best rating, but from what I see from the specs, the gigabyte one has 3 fans ( i persume best cooling) and it has the best speeds, so I don't get what's that about?

Doesn't matter if it had 20 fans with no caseflow your card is going to heat up. Most stock coolers are perfectly fine for their intended use, concentrate on your cable management and airflow through the case.

A friend of mine kept hitting 60 and bluescreening, added 1 fan repositioned the computer and tidied up all the cables, nevery went above 45degrees.

Yes a cheap mobo can affect the limits on your cpu-gpu.

For example my old board would bluescreen when I hit 4.2 Ghz from 3.2 this was a limitation of the board not my chip and ram. This was caused due to power fluctuations.

My current board has a 8+2 phase power meaning nice clean flow.

If you don't want to overclock then yeah that board will be fine.

In regards to what really is the best card out there i do t bother to follow it much due to the fluidity of the market, and I have little experience of amd cards, and I am not rich enough to just try it out.

So yeah keep it stock or a cheap board can potentially burn out or kill a component (never had it happen to me though).

Don't change anything...

There will be NO Bottleneck what so ever...

Your CPU would only start slowing your CPU down if it were like an I3-530 or something...

No offence now but if you meant this serious,

then you should not do anything alone when doing something to your PC

If you wanna learn more about "Bottlenecking", watch the Video from JayzTwoCents about it.

Back