What's new
Roleplay UK

Join the UK's biggest roleplay community on FiveM and experience endless new roleplay opportunities!

My Latest Build

CMO Marc Smith

Ex CMO - Current sexy tech support
Built this a few months ago as my gaming system as I wanted to seperate my work and gaming systems. Figured I'd just share it with anyone interested.

Going to be purchasing a new PSU so I can fix the cable management, but luckily with the PSU shroud the mess of unused cables isn't visible.

Specs:

Intel Core i7 4790k @ 5Ghz

Corsair H100i

16Gb DDR3 2400Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum

Nvidia GTX 980 Reference Card

Asus Maximus VII Ranger

3x 1TB 7200 RPM Seagate Barracuda (2 in RAID 0)

2x 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo (Raid 0)

NZXT H440 Case in white

Cost (From Scan on the 2nd Oct 2014): £1490

Pictures:

8SXDvQC.jpg

HKquoIl.jpg

NPpBJLX.jpg

MbJCNA5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
H100i is insane that overclock is amazing, well done.

Why did you go for the reference card though?

H100i is insane that overclock is amazing, well done.

Why did you go for the reference card though?
At the time, there was only the reference card and the STRIX, and I couldn't find the STRIX anywhere. I'll probably swap it out for something a little better at some point.

Thanks about the OC, I'm really happy with the results I got from it, wasn't expecting anything above around 4.8Ghz, just got lucky with the chip they sent me I guess ;)

Just to add, anyone looking for a closed loop cooling solution, the H100i is very good for it's price in my experience.

Only people who were carrying a 980 STRIX was overclockers at first. Scan or amazon are my normal goto people for hardware, but they didn't have them for a good 2-3 weeks after overclockers had 'em.

But yeah insane props on that oc! You going for an oc on the 980? I know I can get 1.5ghz on my strix cards if I don't mind them spinning up more

Last edited by a moderator:
Only people who were carrying a 980 STRIX was overclockers at first. Scan or amazon are my normal goto people for hardware, but they didn't have them for a good 2-3 weeks after overclockers had 'em.

But yeah insane props on that oc! You going for an oc on the 980? I know I can get 1.5ghz on my strix cards if I don't mind them spinning up more
Probably not going to unless I build a cooling loop, I like having a quiet system and don't want the fan going insane :p Overclockers were sold out of STRIX when I was purchasing, so just went with reference. 

As chief inspector of cable management.. Great job!

As chief inspector of cable management.. Great job!
Thanks! It's far from perfect, but it's the almost the best I'm going to get without making custom length cables and routing everything very carefully. If I get the time I'll probably switch over to a different PSU (Modular) and build it with custom cables. That way It should be very neat and tidy.

marc smith you must learn me how to overclock like that ,

i got almost the same set up

marc smith you must learn me how to overclock like that ,

i got almost the same set up
It's luck of the draw depends on what your processor can handle manufacturing plays a huge part on what overclock you're able to achieve, that and patience.

It's luck of the draw depends on what your processor can handle manufacturing plays a huge part on what overclock you're able to achieve, that and patience.
What he said ^

Small increments on your OC and a lot of patience and testing. Other than that, it's just luck.

I could probably push it a little bit further if I spent a lot of time perfecting it, but I'm very happy with where it's at now.

I think you should get some custom black and white sleeved cables to finish it off

But nice build, and nice OC there :)

With the build as it was when I bought it, I was getting anywhere between 60-90FPS on ALUK with max settings. Sometimes it would drop down to around 40, but never really lower than that.

Not bad cable management! I've got the same case and wondering what kind of temps are you getting? And do you use any sort of fan control?

Back